Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Fri, 11 November 2005 16:42 Go to next message
Is that possible?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2005 09:44]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 21r-c top on a 22r-e engine? Fri, 11 November 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any differences would probably be the shape of the inlet ports - see if they share the same inlet manifold gasket.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r-c top on a 22r-e engine? Sat, 12 November 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larger cc dome in the 21R head + flat top or dished pistons in the 22re block = very very low compression.

Have a look on http://www.celica-gts.com in their forums for more details.

Basically our 21R is the same as their early 22R, larger combustion chamber w/domed pistons...round exhaust ports.

Our 22RE is the same as their late 22R, having flat top pistons and smaller combustion chamber (squish area). Easily identfiable by the 'pear' shaped exhaust ports.

So if you must use that combination. I'd be finding some early 22R domed pistons to swap in it.

Cheers,
James
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 21r-c top on a 22r-e engine? Sat, 12 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What Viper said.

What the yanks do is put the better flowing 20R head on an early 22R bottom end to make a 20/22R hybrid. The 20R has smaller valves etc though, and won't bolt up to an EFI manifold without some welding/tapping...

Apart from the fact that, as Viper says, we never got the early 22R (you CAN put a 20R head on a late 22R block if you mill the head down a fair bit), I'm faily sure out 21R head does NOT = a 20R.

(Not sure I agree with the 22R having roudn exchaust ports... I thought it was only the 20R that had round ports, and these are normally ported to suit an EFI manifold)

ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r-c top on a 22r-e engine? Sat, 12 November 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan, you are thinking of the round intake ports on the 20R... the 21R/22R got square intake ports.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 21r-c top on a 22r-e engine? Sat, 12 November 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: I got confused, been a long time since I worded up on 2Xr tech.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2005 08:23]

Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Mon, 14 November 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, it wont work?

Dont think i can get i 20r head :/
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Mon, 14 November 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bigger question here is WHY?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Mon, 14 November 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The same reason bogans love commodores.
Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Mon, 14 November 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the why-question is good Smile

hmm ok, i've got a 21rc, and the crankshaft bearrings broke and trashed the crank. I think its easier to get a 22r here, but its too much work with the efi, so if i can use my 21r head i spare MANY hours of work.

thats pretty much why.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Tue, 15 November 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could use the 22RE head and just swap the 21R carby manifold on...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Tue, 15 November 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put a complete 22RE in it. Why are people so afraid of EFI? In the case of the RA65 -> RA60 engine swap, it's about as simple as they come.
Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Tue, 15 November 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is'nt that wery much work to put the efi together? I have no experience of efí before :/
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Tue, 15 November 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Consider this an opportunity to learn then. Smile

Seriously, the EFI system on a 22R-E is incredibly simple. You'd have to try pretty hard to stuff it up.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Tue, 15 November 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the more complete a loom the better, but as Norbie said, there isn't a lot to it.... provided you understand the basics of electricity (positive/negative/etc).
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in the middle of the swap myself. Easiest way is to find a $500 Corona (RT142 or similar) with the 22RE, cause then you get the fuel pump, all relays, a complete efi loom etc. all in one hit. Only thing you may look into doing is relocate either the battery or the AFM. Not sure which one I will do yet, probably relocate the AFM tho.
Another option, I know that some of the older hiluxes or landcruisers had 22R motors in them... carby items. These might be worth looking at, and can probably be found through somebody doing an EFI conversion on their LUX/Cruiser.

Cheers, Owen
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest option would be an RA65 Celica, everything should pretty much bolt in. That said, it would probably be just as easy to just buy an RA65 Razz
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank,
The RA65 has the battery and main relay box on the passenger side, same as RT142 corona so that the afm and air box are both on the same side as the intake. So, being that there is (engine/loom speaking) no difference between the RA65 celica and RT142 corona, the corona is usually the better option because:
a) most people wont care if a corona is sacrificed
b) coronas are usually cheaper.

Just my logic, and what i have found by comparing RA65's and RT142's.

Cheers, Owen
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough, was more talking about the tank and lines etc. too though.
Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was the thing with the tank and lines i tought about.

Isn't that tough?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Wed, 16 November 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not with a complete donor car to run everything.
Fnurga
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 21r-c head on a 22r-e engine? Fri, 18 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous message
Yeah, but the problem is that the celica didn't come to sweden with efi...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Air conditioner problem/question
Next Topic:3SGTE RA60 conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:14:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059380531311035 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.