Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chris_85
Regular

August 2005
4agze AE82 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:17 Go to next message
i know anyone familiar with this forum is probably getting sick of these kinda topics by now, but here goes.

Basically im lookin to drop a 4agze into a twinky. Will this be a matter of just bolting it straight in, and wiring it up, or will i still have to modify mounts, lengthen wiring, etc? Also, is this the same across the board with all FWD 4age variants, including 20v's?

No need to get to detailed, just after a quick answer.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
adamaw11
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the engine / gbox mounts should bolt up.

Assuming you'd be using a front cut? Of course you should use the GZE box, since I think a 4agze would destroy an NA box with its torque.

I dunno what else there would be to worry about besides intercooler - hole in bonnet or front mount.

I'm prolly not the best person for advice actually - I'm a 20v person.

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is sorta a bolt in job, unless you use the E series box, which will probably mean you have to customise the rear mounts Razz

not sure about 20V, but they'd probably be a straight bolt in (dont quote me on that) Confused
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 16 September 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in the process of getting a 20v put into my twinky.
the all the blocks(16v 4age, 20v 4age, 4agze) are the same and there for should bolt straight in.
the 20v bolts straight in without a prob. i heard some people had probs bolting the 20v gearbox into the ae82,(it his something in the steering), but i was lucky and it didnt happen to me(also not a prob on the ae92). i dont know if it would be a prob with the 4agze(if u want to know for sure call toyospares in melb, they have prob done this upgrade b4).

some things to watch out for doing a conversion:
- make sure everything is included in the price to get the car on to road drive away, this will reduce the chances of running into 'extras' later on, like possibly getting a custom loom made up. Mad
- ask about kms done, what condition the engine/gear box and clutch/fly wheel is in. also ask if the CO sensor is included($90 extra Mad if its not)
- plan out everything, it will end up costing more then u think....
- dont forget about getting an engeneering cert(up to $900)(you need one if you put in an engine with a power increase of more then 10%)
- you will need a new exhuast cos urs is too small(i think they usually go for a 2.25-2.5" pipe)
- good idea to upgrade brakes too since you will b going much much quiker Evil or Very Mad
- have another car ready, cos urs wont b done for f*cking ages, takes long time, not matter what they tell u, and then its a good idea to bed in the engine for 1000kms and change the oil b4 you push it hard.

i also baught some used ae101 super strut brakes. they fit right on with little modification, i am still not sure wether the master sylinder will handle it though. i guess i can let you know when its done(prob b in like 1 months time at this rate). if u do go for a brake upgrade, get it done b4 the engeneers cert, cos he will aprove it and you wont get defected on them.
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 16 September 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there, if u r droping in a 20v motor into a twincam then you dont need a engineer's certificate (NSW) may be different in melboure.

you dont need one is nsw as the origanl motor was a 1.6l and u r replacing it with a 1.6l

only need a blue slip to change engine number's

but as i said may be different where u r, check it out before u pay for a certificate

Eddie
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: 4agze AE82 Sat, 17 September 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You do need an engineers cert. for a 20v because there is more than 15% power increase.
Apart from that the 20v is more or less bolt in, just need to get the wiring sorted.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze AE82 Sat, 17 September 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to call the rta technical advice line they will tell you if an engineers certificate is required. IMHO it is allways best to get it enginered.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze AE82 Sat, 17 September 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darola wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:20

Hey there, if u r droping in a 20v motor into a twincam then you dont need a engineer's certificate (NSW)

Actually, you do. The 4age 20V engine was not available in the AE82 body from the factory, therefore it is not a personal certified modification.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4agze AE82 Sat, 17 September 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if you do up a 16v, to a 20v. will you need a eng cert in this case?

it might b an easy way to get around it.. cos the engine numbers are the same(4age).
only diff is its 10 years newer and 30% increase in power(from the big port). Very Happy
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 18 November 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the motor wasnt available in Australia, then it needs to be engineered. 20v, 4agze whatever
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 18 November 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim123c wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 14:42

if the motor wasnt available in Australia, then it needs to be engineered. 20v, 4agze whatever

no no... in NSW if the engine wasnt available in your model car from the factory (that means australia, japan etc) then it must have an engineers certificate.

Now as for bolting a 4agze into an AE82 - the rear gearbox mount is your no.1 problem. I'll try to get some explanitory piccies and a guide up on the new forums, but i ahvent even finished the other 3 guides i've started yet Sad
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4agze AE82 Fri, 18 November 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes sorry, witzl is right, i left out the "in your model car from the factory " part Very Happy
I was told from an engineer when i was going through my defect issues, that because my engine did not come as an option in my model car in Australia, it needed a certificate, even though it was still a 4a engine, and still a 1.6.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4agze AE82 Sat, 19 November 2005 02:13 Go to previous message
none of the wiring plugs in

with the engineers report

the law might be certain % increase only in power but if i were u

these days anything u bolt on a car shoul;d have a bloody report

otherwise the cops will just haras u and if u have a car accident and not yr fault the other person can turn around and blame yr car

even thou law might mean u dont need one

the cops dont give a rats ass so if u have a report it keeps them off yr back sometimes hehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v wiring into AE86 (specific Q's)
Next Topic:D2 Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:51:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043590068817139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.