Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Tue, 05 November 2002 10:46 Go to next message
Hi everyone, here is my question:

What turbo does the japanese spec MR2 3SGTE use?
after researching the internet i have on my computer, i came up with the CT20, but am not too sure if this is right.

I am after one because it is twin entry (i like the idea after reading a few books on the subject), and i want to put one on a 4agze one day.

is the turbo off this engine any good? how much should i expect for a decent one?

thanks!
  Send a private message to this user  
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Tue, 05 November 2002 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They use a CT20B.

If you plan on leaving the turbo standard then thats your best bet.

If you plan on hi-flowing it then use the CT26 it is also twin entry.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Tue, 05 November 2002 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all 3sgte's are jap spec. (we never got them new)

early one ('90-93) uses ct26, post '94 uses ct20.

T
GTII
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Thu, 07 November 2002 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the Oz spec GT4s use twin entries?? Same turbos?

I have a 91 spec MR2 turbo but it doesnt have CT26 written on it..as most pre 92s do. Some ppl have said that it is a CT20b (post 93 turbos) and some say that they are variants of CT26's that do not have it written.
Can you clarify this .T. ??
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Thu, 07 November 2002 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the early 3sgte engines i've seen have ct26's - and it's clearly marked on the turbo. i've worked on one post '94 (gen 3) car, and it had a ct20 - that was clearly marked on the turbo too.

possibility is that your turbo has been changed - reason why you'll prob. never know. may have blown up, or it may have been upgraded.

T
GTII
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes...i m familiar with the marked ct26 on the early ones.
and also the CT20B of the post 93 ones...which do not have any markings.
Mine looks bigger than the CT20b, has TOYOTA written on it..hence I've got no idea. Yes, it could be replaced..but just trying to figure out what with. It also seems to make more power than the average 90/91 models.
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the CT20B has a bigger compressor than the CT26 hense the extra power. But are you saying the one thats on their is making more power than both or just the CT26.

Just out of interest. Have you had the car on the Dyno just to get a power run to see how much power you do have.
GTII
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the compressor cover of the CT26 are bigger than the CT20B..not sure bout the internals.
But also the cars with CT20B runs higher boost to make the extra power..ie 13psi vs 9 psi ?
yep..have dynoed..174 rwkw at 13psi on a DTS dyno at AVO in Melb.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine only has toyota on it also. I have a 91 sw20 turbo.

CT20b has narrower centre shaft and is designed to operate at a higher shaft speed.
GTII
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm...hope someone can shed some light on this

Jase, where abouts are you? Any mods to the car? Dyno figures?

Oh btw Gee120, I've got a full custom exhaust, airfilter, and ecu to make those numbers on the dyno. No boost controller of any sort.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Fri, 08 November 2002 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm from Bolwarra. Near Newcastle.

I've got a Phoenix's Power intercooler (BIG) and bigger pipework, 3" mandrel dump off turbo, high flow bullet cat, 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, high flow cat, match ported manifolds, flow/head/valve work. Large plumb back BOV. Disabled / bypassed turbo vsv sometimes.

Some suspension work.

Ready to change to a new ECU....still trying to make my mind up.

What computer you got?

Have another turbo waiting....want to do the computer first.

I'm due for a trip back to the dyno, last was before all above was done, right after engine rebuild.
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Sat, 09 November 2002 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK.

Gen II MR2 (ex ST185) runs a CT26A twin entry ceramic turbine wheel turbo. Has CT26 on the comp housing.

Gen III MR2 (ex ST205) runs a CT20B twin entry turbo, but only has TOYOTA on the comp housing, runs a bigger comp wheel than the CT26A and slightly smaller exhaust housing. Smaller turbo but can flow more air and produces a wider torque curve.
GT4_Steve
Regular

June 2002

Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Sun, 10 November 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
._T_. wrote on Wed, 06 November 2002 09:03

all 3sgte's are jap spec. (we never got them new)

early one ('90-93) uses ct26, post '94 uses ct20.

T

Just thought I'd say that the 3SGTE was sold in Aus in the GT4. (gotta love not having a speed limiter)

I just think of the ST205 => era when thinking CT20. The older CT26 turbo is a fair performer when hi-flowed properly and can keep mod costs down due to not needing new manifolds. (downpipe is a must though, which could be said for all turbos anyway) Watch stock ceramic CT26's though, without care they will shatter. It's happened to me Sad

The ceramic turbo's back then would spool up heaps quicker than the old metal ones due to the lower inertia, but these days the new breed are hi-tech computer designed and therefore much more efficient and lighter.
corey
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Sat, 19 November 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the two 3sgte motors gen 2 and gen 3 uses differiant turbos the gen 2 use a CT26 and the gen 3 use a CT20B the CT20B is a far better turbo then a CT26 the will keep boost longer i hope this helps you
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: question: jap spec MR2 3SGTE turbo Sat, 19 November 2005 02:59 Go to previous message
corey wrote on Sat, 19 November 2005 11:52

the two 3sgte motors gen 2 and gen 3 uses differiant turbos the gen 2 use a CT26 and the gen 3 use a CT20B the CT20B is a far better turbo then a CT26 the will keep boost longer i hope this helps you

dude look @ the date!! Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:ECU
Next Topic:Lakeside Raceway - local council says it will listen, tho no promise to act
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:08:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058069229125977 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.