Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RTA Regulations on engine modifications?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sat, 19 November 2005 09:13 Go to next message
After looking for a while, I still haven't found anything, the question is,

Does the RTA have any regulations reguarding engine mods such as cam duration, valve lift etc.

After looking at all the 4AGEs on the forums which aftermarket cams etc. Most seemed to be around 270ish duration with about 8mm lift, though when I get round to completing my car, I'm looking at running 280 duration with 10.3 lift (with aftermarket springs, shims etc. of course), but because this is so much more than the average here, I'm guessing theres either a regulation on it, or that much lift makes the car horrible to drive on street lol.

I know there's regulations on how much extra displacement you can add, but can't find anything on the above...:S

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2005 09:31]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sat, 19 November 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emissions...

if the cam sounds lumpy, then you might be asked to get an emisions check.... this could be done by a cop that pulls you over too... (or maybe just EPA?)

basically, for any car or engine which had to meet emissions requirements, you still have to meet them, which pretty much rules out any performance mods that anyone does.... Sad
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sat, 19 November 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do they check this when you get a blue slip? when i register my car i plan to have a 2tg/3t hybrid with a bit of work done to it. am i better off leaving the stocko engine in there untill after i get my blue slip?

chris
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sat, 19 November 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you could do a few mods like cams etc and balance it out with a good CAT (as in cut down on emission, not high flow) and other pulltion control methods. but would these pollution mods affect the peformance you trying to achieve?
how would the determin if you have changed your ECU. or does that not come into these regulations?

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sat, 19 November 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. unless approved specifically, aftermarket ECU's are not legal...

nor are changes to stock ECU, but it is harder to do that...

performance doesn't HAVE to increase emissions... but big cams will increase overlap = more emissions...
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: RTA Regulations on engine modifications? Sun, 20 November 2005 02:03 Go to previous message
Is there any idea how high duration and lift you could go without infringing on emissions standards?

And by lumpy, I gather that means it sounds 'lumpy' when it idles?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Idle, stalling and fouled spark plug problem on 7mgte
Next Topic:TRD rear springs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:26:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037961006164551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.