Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Underneith of car coated with black stuff?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 05:22 Go to next message
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a car. Its a Celica, seems in better than average condition interior and mechanically. I had it professionally inspected by SVC and the inspector said overall its better than average, apart from some panel damage. BUT, the entire underbody/underneith the car has recently been coated in this black shit. The inspector said its pretty thick, and in his experience, is usually done to cover up damage. The car is lowered so probably damage from speed humps or whatever else its scrapped but he said because of it he can't tell where or to what extent there is damage and you'd need to get in there with kero to get atleast a fare portion of it off before you know anything. Probably have to get it done by a pro.

I find this worrying. The car is good inside, good mechanically, but this is disturbing. The owner claims he did it for noise/sound insulation, but the inspector thinks thats not the case and also thinks it was done very recently. ie he knew he'd be selling it when he did it, so you do the math.

What are your thoughts? Its been lowered 2" and inspector says has 18" rims but i thought they were 17's. Anyway... damage wise, say it has scrapped and stuff... whats the worst it could be? I dont know much about cars. It runs fine, inspector found the engine etc in average to good cond.... its this whole underneith thing screwing with my head. I just spent $200 to get it inspected with photos, to find this out now...
  Send a private message to this user    
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my Soarer was very low when it came from Japan and i watched the damn truck driver that bought the car from QLD to canberra scrape the hell out of the bottom of the vehicle when taking it off the ramps on the truck.

Story being ive actually sprayed all the underneath of the car with anti rust and then that black 3M wrinkle paint to stop any rust and to seal the underneath of the vehicle.

Im not covering anything up just trying to protect the underside of the vehicle , its noticeable due to the factory toyota sealant being a light beige/brown in which i couldnt match with wrinkle under body sealer.
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. Although dont you think its weird? This inspector has 20 odd years experience, he reckons its been done very recently and that by doing it he cant tell what damage there is or what shoddy fixes have been done if that being the case... or anything really. And i know the car has been for sale for atleast a few weeks, so if the inspector is right and it was done very recently, why go to all that effort for some reason that sounds like BS when you know your gonna sell it? Seriously...
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say its sound deadener thats thick and shit haha no big problem if anything its a good thing or yes i spose it could be used to hide something,

the worst the car could be completely ratshit, could put it on a chassis straightener it will tell you how much its out but thats more money

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2005 06:32]

Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets say it does have some damage from scraping? Its lowered 2 inches on 18" rims (i thought they were 17's)... what would most commonly scrape/get hit and what would it take for serious damage? What could be seriously damaged?

The inspector said it seemed to of been applied manually by brush and is quite thick. I dont know what to do. Mechanically, the engine and stuff was above average. Dammit..

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2005 06:39]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt it would cause serious damage my floor pan moves under my feet on most speedbumps haha real low suspension but the body is fine handles as usual etc
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i was bodgy and selling a car with a bent or rusted floorpan, first thing i'd do is give it a thick coat of tar..

lucky i'm not bodgy...... much.... anymore..... Rolling Eyes

then again, it is also one of the first things i would do to a car i just bought Razz (as long as it wasn't rusty or bent)
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So this thick tar shit is legit for noise deadening? Does it actually do anything?

I am trying to weigh things up and be logical. It drove fine, he gave it some big revs and didnt see any smoke, interior is immaculate, inspector said mechanically its above average but and i quote "heavy black tar substance has been painted over the entire underside floor and sub frame structure and i am unable to inspect and fully exmine the underneath of the vehicle. This has been hand painted on recently and requires removal to fully check condition of inner sills, floor sub frame rails, inner support panels etc. Engine bay sub frames original factor, but rear floor frames covered in black tar."

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2005 07:37]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will both deaden noise and it will reduce damage to underside from stones etc.. and theoretically should reduce rust etc...

what he is saying is that he can't check if there is rust underneath, and that is has been done recently, ie the owner thought it would be a good idea to do it before selling it...

so.. it may be bodgy.. but then again, it may not....

are you buying the car for the drivetrain or the body? or both?

maybe knock a few hundred more off price Razz
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess both. I just want something cruisy and kinda nice, in my opinion. It has a bit of panel damage which i am well aware of and prepared to get fixed, hence the price is cheaper than most ZR's. But mechanically and interior it is good, and 100,000km so lowish milage.

The only explination the owner gave was noise insulation. Is the stuff hard to get off?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a general rule if the rest of the body is rust free, then it's pretty likely the floorpan will be free of rust too. It would take a lot of rust before it was visible UNDER the car, I would think... was the carpet dry? Usually you can smell it if it's been wet.

If there was any real major damage I don't think the underbody tar would hide it.
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has 18" rims. I thought the Celica came out with 15's... so that makes them illegal on it right? How does that effect insurance? Can be defected? What are the reprocussions?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe it's based on the overall rolling diameter. So going up one size of rim means you need a lower profile tyre to compensate. Don't know how that would work out with 18's

You can go larger than the standard rolling diameter but then the speedo needs to be recalibrated, and possibly engineering is required? I'm not sure there...

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=4565&rid=7462&S=b47d424b82a3cb5ce378e27c 4fdac7cf&pl_view=&start=0#msg_40205

There's some info in that old thread about it

- insurance you'd have to check with your insurance company

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2005 09:57]

Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not sure on the rims but the body deadener wouldn't worry at all. Remember if the inspector says its fine and it turns out its not you can sue him so he has no choice but to say he cant tell even if he is 99% sure it is ok.

Every state is different on rims as are insurance companys, for me it would only increase my insurance.
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The report says tyres it has 225/40/ZR18" and they are almost new, i think the rims were on it when he bought it early 2004.

Do they "compensate". I know SFA. Would a pic of rim/tyre help?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in NSW, 1" larger rim MAX unless engineered..

are the rims cert'd?

if not, then no, they are not technically legal and you can be defected and your insurance will possibly be voided (unless you tell them and they accept with that knowledge)

be careful Wink
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure its 1" larger? Ive heard from several people its 2".

So how do i get certified? Is it expensive?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sat, 19 November 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1" larger in width. the diameter of the rim dosent matter aslong as the rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre combo is +/- 15mm from the factory sizing.

if its lowered off its guts it probaly has copped a few scrapes underneath but aslong as you cant see any major dings under there its probaly ok and has just been put on there as a cosmetic to hide the scuffs.

just see that there dosent look like its had any damage around the brake or fuel lines.
FST513
Regular

April 2005
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 10:14

1" larger in width. the diameter of the rim dosent matter aslong as the rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre combo is +/- 15mm from the factory sizing.

Incorrect. It is +/- 26mm.
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So can anyone comment of the legality of it based on the info i have provided?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FST513 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 00:50

toof wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 10:14

Incorrect. It is +/- 26mm.

Incorrect...

As quoted direct from the RTA

Quote:

Minor changes to wheels
Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you can only change rim diameter by 2 inches though
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi09_rev4.pdf

also interesting is the max width you can run on the front is 8inch's.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 23:11]

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Sun, 20 November 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that, i searched rta but i couldnt find it
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Mon, 21 November 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 10:09

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi09_rev4.pdf

also interesting is the max width you can run on the front is 8inch's.

that also contains my favourite quote...

Quote:

Where non-original axle or suspension components are fitted, blah blah, 25mm increase in track BASED ON THE VEHICLE THE PARTS CAME FROM

ok, so it's not a direct quote Razz but it does mean that the track of a car can be increased, AS LONG AS the parts used have close to that track Wink heh heh
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Underneith of car coated with black stuff? Tue, 22 November 2005 05:50 Go to previous message
If you can get access to the car for another inspection,do so. Get it home, or to a garage, and pull up the carpet, inspect for "cut and shut" weld lines in the floor. I have seen some real dodgus im my years, and the best way to hide the welds underneath, is with the body sound deadener. Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers Chuck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anyone modded a ae71
Next Topic:4ac-4agze starter-motors ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:44:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065751075744629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.