Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 01:00 Go to next message
new petrol going into shell pumps.
check it out: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&a mp;FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au- en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/extreme/abou t_extreme.html

100RON 5% ethanol.
what are your thoughts.
personally i wont b putting any ethanol into my engine, until there will b no petrol without it.

my mate recons it will b good, his reason for this is that the extra oxygen molecules in ethanol will aid in the burning of the petrol. any truth to this?
  Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn't mine giving it a try if it its cheaper than 98ron
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your supposto be using what your engine is tuned for. You would need a change in ignition timing using a higher or lower grade octane wether it has more ethanol or running straigh thinners.
Methanol ethanol, same shit.
What pisses me off are these ads that 98octane increases performance and fuel economy, not entirely true.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 01:57]

trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have a 4AGE Silvertop. I am told they are tuned for 100RON. But who can definitively tell me about the suitability of my components with 5% Ethanol?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get way better fuel economy with 98ron... 450km on 91 and 600km+ on 98.

i dont get it Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally most higher octane fuels will get better economy, performance obviously depends on the cars state of tune. Might get a marginal gain in normal cars.

I'll never run 100ron ethanol blended cos my car isn't able to take ethanol based fuels pure and simple. Wink
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also used to get way better economy on my CB Lancer (carby) with 98 than I did with 91. The car also seemed to run better and didn't ping at low RPM.

I've never put anything but 98 RON in my Integra.
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keen Keen Keen Beanz Surprised

Me gonna try some of this stuff for sure

Handy for those folk with jap import motors running standard ecu Very Happy
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Handy for those folk with jap import motors running standard ecu

BB you might have to be careful, because it's not just the engine and its connected bits but the whole fuel system as well that you have to know is suitable for fuel containing ethanol.

Your injectors and engine might be fine but your lines and pumps may be adversely affected by it. Some more research might be needed before people like you or I with "late" model import motors in old school cars use this stuff Wink .
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True True!
Was getting a bit ahead of myself there

Well time to research hey?

But i guess the bottom line is how much better performance and or economy could a 100ron provide over a 98ron? Confused
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldnt you like fill , 30L of 98 and 20L of 100 ?

that'd make a ORSM fuel , it would equal it out to 99 ron !!!!!

Laughing Laughing
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what cars are setup to run ethanol?
im thinking of running my jdm 4age on something like that??? but i read someplace that ethanol kills the fuel line and run hotter?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 16:55

im thinking of running my jdm 4age on something like that??? but i read someplace that ethanol kills the fuel line and run hotter?

check the government website setup for it, there is a link to it off the shell website for the 100ron extreme fuel.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 16:55

It runs cooler actualy.
raaf86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt it burnout the rings quicker or the motor or somthing on these lines, also would u think its suitabe for a stock smallport sx corolla motor?

may be a stupid question but is higher octane suitable for cars that have higher timing?
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Fri, 18 November 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it the higher the octane the hotter it burns/runs?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the higher "octane" number means that it is less likely to pre-ignite or ping.. it is a number that is given based on the testing procedure which you can gogle for Razz

there are a few very good tech articles around the net about octane and what it means..

basically, octane only very loosely describes how the fuel will work in any given engine.

on PF someone mentioned results of a dyno test (a proper test Razz ) where they were given some of the new fuel to see how it performed...

i think the end result was that they had to add uel across the entire map, but that they could also and timing, and this resulted in a net increase in power.. and also means that cars running a stock ECU are likely to run leaner as a result.. good for some engines.. bad for others... but without changes in fuel or spark, there was a loss in power across the whole map.

yes, research is needed BB Razz but you can be our guinea pig Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
High Performance Imports had a test on an E10 98RON fuel. They had the same results. They tested on an R32 GTR which had like 289rwkw, tuned with APEX'i Power FC.

They found as soon as they switched to the ethanol based fuel the car ran really lean to the point where they couldn't do a dyno pull. They added fuel to it till the mixtures were acceptable again, and then found out they could run more timing. They ended up with like 311rwkw, which is probably a fair indication of what's capable.

It's a good thing...provided the car is tuned for it, or has an ECU which can accomodate the change.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 19 November 2005 12:38

the higher "octane" number means that it is less likely to pre-ignite or ping.. it is a number that is given based on the testing procedure which you can gogle for Razz

there are a few very good tech articles around the net about octane and what it means..

basically, octane only very loosely describes how the fuel will work in any given engine.

on PF someone mentioned results of a dyno test (a proper test Razz ) where they were given some of the new fuel to see how it performed...

i think the end result was that they had to add uel across the entire map, but that they could also and timing, and this resulted in a net increase in power.. and also means that cars running a stock ECU are likely to run leaner as a result.. good for some engines.. bad for others... but without changes in fuel or spark, there was a loss in power across the whole map.

yes, research is needed BB Razz but you can be our guinea pig Very Happy

I should refraise, I understand what octane is (to a point), what i was trying to get at is, if you filled up with say 98RON and then added some sort of octane booster, the engine would run hotter wouldnt it? So effectively, if you use this 100RON fuel everytime, would there be a noticible difference in the running temps?

Im asking for all those of us who run teh p00 engine and fear heat! hehe
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Sat, 19 November 2005 14:58

I should refraise, I understand what octane is (to a point), what i was trying to get at is, if you filled up with say 98RON and then added some sort of octane booster, the engine would run hotter wouldnt it? So effectively, if you use this 100RON fuel everytime, would there be a noticible difference in the running temps?

ummm..... why would it run hotter? higher octane fuels typically have lower energy, so you need to use more to get same amount of heat.

to get same power, you need same heat, so i dunno why they would run at castly different temps.. morelikely temp change would be related to rich/leanm and spark advance perhaps?
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically "bang" does not equal "heat" when talking about octane ratings.

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the impression that the higher the octane the cooler it burns.

(which oldcorolla's probably already pointed out)

i dont read good like.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sat, 19 November 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 19 November 2005 16:53

rvrolla wrote on Sat, 19 November 2005 14:58

ummm..... why would it run hotter? higher octane fuels typically have lower energy, so you need to use more to get same amount of heat.

to get same power, you need same heat, so i dunno why they would run at castly different temps.. morelikely temp change would be related to rich/leanm and spark advance perhaps?

Obivously I was mis-informed then! Smile
I was told this, hence why I was after confirmation.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Sun, 20 November 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah higher octane runs cooler. Ethanol contains less energy than petrol though. So if it started to lean the engine out a bit, that'd make it a bit hotter. But I think that'd be counteracted by the octane... not sure.
wokstrx7
Regular

August 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Wed, 23 November 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try www.fcai.com.au
has a list of all cars that can/cant use ethanol fuels
most pre 1986 cars cant. infact u will c that there r HUGE amounts of cars that cant.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 09:54]

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Wed, 23 November 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teh P00 motors!
Supra - pre May 1993, Cressida - pre Feb 1993
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Wed, 23 November 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

All Toyota models manufactured locally or imported by Toyota Australia since 1987 will operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel except as listed below.

The following models will not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel due to material compatibility issues:

Camry with carburettor engines pre July 1989 and Corolla pre July 1994.

Supra - pre May 1993, Cressida - pre Feb 1993, Paseo - pre Aug 1995, Starlet - pre July 1999.

Land Cruiser - pre Aug 1992, Coaster - pre Jan 1993, Dyna - pre May 1995, Tarago - pre Oct 1996, Hilux , Hiace, & 4 Runner - pre Aug 1997, Townace - pre Dec 1998.

Dang...
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Wed, 23 November 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But that page is only about E10. Opti100 is E5. I e-mailed Toyota Australia about it. Any bets on the quality of the reply I'll get?
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Thu, 24 November 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate baught some of this a few days ago.
he always used optimax. and he recons this is just regular optimax with E5 added. but it cost him 10c/ltr more.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Thu, 24 November 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 11:03

and he recons this is just regular optimax with E5 added. but it cost him 10c/ltr more.

And by what brilliant deduction did he come to this conclusion? "Ooh, Bubba, this looks the same as the other one, only with more of dat stuff we bin drinking in it."
wokstrx7
Regular

August 2005
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Thu, 24 November 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E5 or E10 makes no difference. i still wont pay more for something that was not designed to go in my car. if i need more octane, i buy octane booster.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Thu, 24 November 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 14:35

illuminatus wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 11:03

and he recons this is just regular optimax with E5 added. but it cost him 10c/ltr more.

And by what brilliant deduction did he come to this conclusion? "Ooh, Bubba, this looks the same as the other one, only with more of dat stuff we bin drinking in it."

He dang sniffed it ya fool Razz
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shell Optimax Extreme - 100RON Thu, 24 November 2005 06:47 Go to previous message
wokstrx7 wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 14:09

E5 or E10 makes no difference. i still wont pay more for something that was not designed to go in my car. if i need more octane, i buy octane booster.

How much octane booster do you neeed to hit 100RON. Most of them shift it a few points (ie 0.1 RON), not big numbers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Suggestions on adding a little "Grandpa" to my ST-141
Next Topic:Ultimate K Engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:18:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007227897644043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.