Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » $900 for 5k, good?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
icon7.gif  $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 04:39 Go to next message
i just wanted some feedback on whether i should buy this motor...
its a 5K with a 5speed gearbox, extractors and twin webbers.
the guy wants $900 is that a good deal?
and just to check, will the whole shebang slot into my ke35 without too much worry?
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on what's done and the overall condition of the motor I suppose. You can buy 2T-G's for that money, though generally they don't last long as they're a bit long in the tooth....
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did consider a 2TG but i dont want to change to hydraulic clutch, too much fiddling!
im either going to spend money on the 4k, or buy another engine.
i think the motor has a different cam, some head work, and is in pretty good nick.
nitephyre
Regular

July 2003
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$900?

it'd wanna have some decent work done to it for that much folding, i reckon...
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be hesitant to part with that kinda dosh for an old engine, but remember, the twin webbers are worth up to $600 on their own, and extractors would probably be custom jobbies. Apart from the ancillaries, I'd be making my assessment on the condition of the motor. Does it have a non-stock cam?
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is an ok price !!!!
what are you going to buy that will bolt in for the same dollars??? with box, carbs,extractors and no doubt clutch.
Yer it might need a rebuild but shit if you are handy it would be cheap as shit to do theres nothing special in them and parts are cheap, getting a good head is the hardest part but hey most of us have that problem at home Razz
I have built a couple at work (forklift spec) and part are cheap so if the head is ok it should all be good.
Cheers Grant
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a complete 5k motor for sale for $400 in the trader.

so id say 800-900 for the complete set up is pretty goood price aslong as it is bolt in driveaway.

cheers scott
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: $900 for 5k, good? Tue, 15 November 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frontspinner wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 15:39

i just wanted some feedback on whether i should buy this motor...
its a 5K with a 5speed gearbox, extractors and twin webbers.
the guy wants $900 is that a good deal?
and just to check, will the whole shebang slot into my ke35 without too much worry?

lets see.... wreckers charge what? $100 for extractors.. $2-300 for 5 speed gearbox... fark knows for the webbers...

basically if it is running and not fucked, it's a good deal...

most kiddies on here will bitch and whine about how expensive things are.. and then bitch and whine when they have to spend $50 to get decent oil.. then complain abotu the price of petrol etc...

Rolling Eyes get over it.. cars cost.

as for KE35... the 5K is basically a bored 4K.. so the deck height is same, and engine mounts should bolt up.
too easy...

oh, cable and linkages for webber you might wanna check, but can be made easily
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Wed, 16 November 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sold my 5k without webber, with extractors and stuffed gearbox for $225.
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Wed, 16 November 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the general idea is that the price is right....
im going to have a look at it in a few minutes, its in a pretty cool looking ke55 at the moment...an orange one, for anyone who lives around port melbourne who has seen it/knows it/owned it.

thanks for the help/opinions guys, i still dont know if i want to do up a 5k instead of my 4k tho...
T25G
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: $900 for 5k, good? Sun, 20 November 2005 01:05 Go to previous message
I built a 5k years ago and put it in a ke30.

It runs different rockers and they arent adjustable like a 4k. Runs hydraulic lifters from memory.
You need to change the fan belt as a different one is required. Otheriwse its a easy swap, I had reasonable compression so i upgraded to a 3 core radiator as well. Hope its got a 5k flywheel cause i recall these being an inch bigger than the 4k flywheel. I didnt have one so i fitted the 4k one and had the flyweel re-drilled to suit bigger clutch and pressure plate, and had the clutch plate hub custom to suit rolla 5 speed box.

The torque increase alone is well worth the swap. I recommend u get this setup, with twin carbs etc its going to be fun Very Happy

With worked internals and a single nikki carb my dynoed at 62hspwer at the wheels.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:stupid holden question
Next Topic:carina?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:10:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057370662689209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.