Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What model gearbox have I got?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
What model gearbox have I got? Fri, 18 November 2005 08:57 Go to next message
Hi All,

Just trying to find out what model gearbox I have. The car is a AE92 converted to 4agze. It was a complete conversion engine, gearbox etc. The engine is a silver top AFM 4agze, not sure what it came out of.

The second gear syncro is stuffed, wanted to find out the gearbox model number so I can hunt for this part. Apparently they are hard to find.

Thanks Smile
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Fri, 18 November 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say "silvertop" that usually refers to 20 valve engines, but you say yours is a 4agze?
Is it 20 valve silvertop, or is it a supercharged 4agze?
The gze AFM models came out mostly with an e52 - 474 which is a non-lsd box. Any gearbox with "E52 - xxx" will be a straight bolt in replacement...
The later model ae101 4agze E58 LSD Gearbox will also work, but you need to modify the rear engine mount.
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Sat, 19 November 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tim

It's a AFM 4agze with a non lsd box. So sounds like it will be a e52 box. Thanks for that info man.

Im not sure if I should look for another box or try and get this syncro fixed somehow. What would you do? Smile

Sorry I must have got confused with the silver top thing. Reason I said silver top is the head is bare metal, the writing is not in red like it was on my old MR2's head. Confused
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Sun, 20 November 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep its the e52.
You should find one of these for sale here on toymods.
If you want the cheaper option, buy a second hand box from a trusted source, otherwise get the box reconditioned (or just that particular synchro) for a couple of hundred dollars.
Tim
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Sun, 20 November 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tim,

I have taken the car into a couple of places here and asked about the box being reconditioned, all of them tell me I will be lucky to find the syncros for that box. One of them told me that he got quoted $500 just for one syncro for his corolla box.

Thats what led me to looking on here and trying to find the model number so I can look for other options.

Might try and find another box here on the fourms, there seems to be more e58's for sale then e52's. Do you know is it much work to modify that rear engine mount to fit the e58 in?

If you happen to know as well where I might get the syncros cheaper then $500, that would make my year too Razz

Thanks again for the replies man.

tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Sun, 20 November 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got my whole box done, synchros and bearings for $1200. they had a little trouble getting one bearing, had to be sourced from japan, but it was done.
Only thing with a second hand box, its hard to tell how it was treated and how long its gonna last before the same thing happens..
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Mon, 21 November 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you got a good point there. Just took the car to a new guy this morning. Might ask him if he can get the rebuild done at a reasonable price.

Just so I know, whats the main difference between the e52 & e58? Are the ratios slightly different?

tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: What model gearbox have I got? Mon, 21 November 2005 12:13 Go to previous message
as far as i know, the ratios are the same, but the e58 is lsd and from a 101 with different rear mount.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Open Port for 20V Black Top
Next Topic:4AGE died on hwy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:50:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044138431549072 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.