Toymods » General Car Talk » F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 12:03 Go to next message
This is taken from a book my bro bought in the UK, cost him $200Aus and is mainly written by Gordon Murray and Ron Dennis.

".....The volume of gas blasting through a 6.1litre V12 engine at 7500rpm demands a very considerable exhaust system, whivh to meet international market regulations - as researched and monitored assiduosly at Genesis by the dilegent Harold Dermott - would require state of the art pollution trapping catalysers.
Silncer box volume needed to be a whopping 65 litres - the size of a loosely rolled double bed duvet. At Genesis Gordon almost despaired: "That was going to be seriously heavy, and how could we house it? Then the idea dawned. Because the engine and transmission were providing the chassis structure at the back of the car there was nothing at the tail we could use as an impact-absorbing crush structure, beyond whatever body panelling we would end up with there. If we shaped this enormous silencer box to run the width of the car, immediately inside the tail bodywork, that could double up as our crash pad".
One item, multiple functions - yet again, race-bred engineering at it's best. But what could a V12 exhaust system, feeding a 65-litre silencer, possibley weigh?
The Fax flashed back from Munich - exhaust system in standard BMW production steel, 100kg. This was blasphemy to the weight saving zealot.
Gordon flew to Munich. "paul introduced me to the guy who was responsible for designing the exhaust system, and winked at me, encouraging me to put on a show in the middle of the design office - to encourage others."
"taht made the guys not only realise we were serious, but also encouraged them to start thinking - really thinking - about the weight saving problem, and they began suggestiong good ideas, initiating stuff - and one saud why not use inconel for the exhaust manifolds...."
This stainless steel alloy is highly heat resu=istant, robust and light - used commonly in very high temperature turbo charger installations. Thinner guage sections could endure exhaust system duty, and it was inherently lightweight. Downside - it was very expensive, on weight grounds alone it had to be the answer. The manifolds were fabricated in 0.8mm wall thickness inconel piping, the "double-duvet" box fabricated in stainless steel- the Mclaren sports car exhaust system alone cost as much as a small family sedan.

This book was very expensive but incredibley detailed with blueprints etc etc, it is THE definitive F1 Mclaren book.
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moral of the story.

Rear end a mclaren and get rear ended by your insurance company.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 23:40

Moral of the story.

Rear end a mclaren and get rear ended by your insurance company.

Laughing
I think if you hit a McLaren F1 from any angle your insurance company is gonna rear end you! lol. They're $1,000,000+ worth of car FFS!
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if it appeared on any other newspapers but for the Classic Adelaide Rally, there is a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti worth $760,000. While I think Ferrari's are too common and well over-rated (I'm a McLaren fan) the details given were this:

If you wanted the yellow Ferrari emblems that sit behind the front wheel arches - $6000
Carbon ceramic brakes - >Mitsubitshi 380 cost
brake calipers painted red - $2250 or $2500 for yellow
Nonstandard body paint +$7250
custom colour - $13750

more reason not to get a fezza Rolling Eyes
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 00:49

not sure if it appeared on any other newspapers but for the Classic Adelaide Rally, there is a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti worth $760,000. While I think Ferrari's are too common and well over-rated (I'm a McLaren fan) the details given were this:

If you wanted the yellow Ferrari emblems that sit behind the front wheel arches - $6000

Now while these facts are Shocked

Quote:

custom colour - $13750

Why do I give a crap how much it costs to paint the car? Sure I could use a couple of Export Quality spray cans or I could get a proper job done Wink And why does it cost more to get your brakes done in yellow?

They must be using Toyotas special buttercup yellow blend Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:20]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually in hindsight, for that price it'd want to not bend. I recall that perhaps once Ferraris didn't leave the factory in anything other than red. Can anyone confirm?
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brother tells me there is an F1 for sale in Melbourne.....I wonder how much I can get from the bank Razz Razz Razz

I agree Ferrari's are overrated, a friend of mine has been working on them for years, he calls them overpriced fragile pieces of shit!!!but they do look and sound good.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have been able to get ferrari's in colours other than red from first production model, silver was popular as was dark colours.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but who cares IF I was going to buy a wog car it would be a Miura SV.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

custom colour - $13750

i heard that it costs 1250POUNDS to get the sticking in you leather seats a diff colour. i think it was on top gear and they where talking about the new f430. he also mentioned the brake piant and a whole bunch of other stuff.

i dont know what you ppl are talking about, ferraris are well priced when you compare it to the other super cars out there. they are one of the cheaper super cars. they are usually under half a mil. lamborghini is like $600000+. porsche is cheaper and a very strong compeditor of the ferrari.

personally if i had the cash to buy a f430 i would b putting a deposit down.
then again a porsche would b perfect for the streets.
and how could you say no to a hardcore brabus with 1370Nm.
damn, i hope i never have to make this decision and i have the money to buy all 3 Rolling
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Thu, 17 November 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lamborghini's are better priced than ferrari's, but for value for money porsche shits on em all Razz . Rear bumper of a diablo is a touch over $13K.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 22:15]

Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant remember what show i was watching but i remember that to change to oil in an enzo it costed a measly $700 US. And to put new breake pads and calipers on the enzo it was ONLY $30000 US.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm money
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 09:09

custom colour - $13750

i heard that it costs 1250POUNDS to get the sticking in you leather seats a diff colour. i think it was on top gear and they where talking about the new f430. he also mentioned the brake piant and a whole bunch of other stuff.

i dont know what you ppl are talking about, ferraris are well priced when you compare it to the other super cars out there. they are one of the cheaper super cars. they are usually under half a mil. lamborghini is like $600000+. porsche is cheaper and a very strong compeditor of the ferrari.

damn, i hope i never have to make this decision and i have the money to buy all 3 Rolling

I dunno, I think Ferrari's are a bit over priced. When you compare lap times of the Lamborghini Diablo to even the 550 Maranello, the Lamborini shits all over the Ferrari. Now look at the prices:
Second hand 1997 Lamborghini Diablo (V12): $265,000
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/lamborghini/diab lo/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2420660&pg=1&pp=1 &d=0&nv=1
Second hand 1999 Ferrari 360 (V8): $225,000
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ferrari/360/sydn ey/detail.aspx?id=2269419&pg=1&pp=12&d =0&nv=1
Second hand 1997 Ferrari 550 Maranello (V12): $275,000
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ferrari/550/melb ourne/detail.aspx?id=1375859&pg=1&pp=3& ;d=0&nv=1

And it's not just performance either. I've heard Ferraris just fall apart. They aren't designed to last at all.

Then again, I'd probably rather an F1 anyway. Razz Even if it is 4 times the price.
http://www.carclassic.com/stock.asp?StockID=101104
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 08:08

but who cares IF I was going to buy a wog car it would be a Miura SV.

now there is a man with taste. nice.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 11:29

custom colour - $13750

I dunno, I think Ferrari's are a bit over priced. When you compare lap times of the Lamborghini Diablo to even the 550 Maranello, the Lamborini shits all over the Ferrari. Now look at the prices:
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/lamborghini/diab lo/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2420660&pg=1&pp=1 &d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ferrari/360/sydn ey/detail.aspx?id=2269419&pg=1&pp=12&d =0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ferrari/550/melb ourne/detail.aspx?id=1375859&pg=1&pp=3& ;amp ;d=0&nv=1

And it's not just performance either. I've heard Ferraris just fall apart. They aren't designed to last at all.

Then again, I'd probably rather an F1 anyway. Razz Even if it is 4 times the price.

looking at that i guess they are abit over priced, but they are probably the only company who could pull it off, and still have people wait for 1.5 years to get their ferrari.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 11:29

custom colour - $13750

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ferrari/550/melb ourne/detail.aspx?id=1375859&pg=1&pp=3& ;amp ;d=0&nv=1

looking at that i guess they are abit over priced, but they are probably the only company who could pull it off, and still have people wait for 1.5 years to get their ferrari.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol diablo dry sump oil volume 20L, now lets see premium oil sold to you at service price plus labour to do it = owned. Laughing
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a friend who works on Jags and they use a synthetic trans oil made by ESSO it's $110 a litre and there is 11 litres in it!!!!
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u can afford the car u should be able to afford to fix it... Rolling Eyes
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why i own matchbox cars Embarassed
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Fri, 18 November 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magicmitch wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 12:58

if u can afford the car u should be able to afford to fix it... Rolling Eyes

Why bother when you could get a faster car that needs less fixing?

Ofcourse anything getting these kinds of crazy power figures is gonna need regular maintenance, so I don't imagine the Diablo is gonna be as easy to maintain as my Honda. Razz But Ferrari has a bad reputation even for supercars.
SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ferraris are poo. buy some BMI dvd's to see how poo they are. even BMW M3's beat them in races (all cars are standard).
they are underpowered, overweight and underbraked. poo poo poo
ive only heard 3 360 monena ferraris driving hard before and they even sound poo. with a ferrari all you are buying is the racing IMAGE of history.
if you want a lower budget super car you cant beat the honda NSX-R.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to disagree, a F360 at rpm is a VERY nice sounding engine.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 19:34

I have to disagree, a F360 at rpm is a VERY nice sounding engine.

Don't even need rpm the 360 modena V8 and 4.2L derivative of it in the maserati's is one of the best sounding engines around, Hearing a couple guys nail them off the lights in the city or just giving the throttle a quick stab round a corner i can tell you they are noice.

Dodge Viper's on the other hand omg sounds like a pile of shit.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 22:00]

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, fazza's arent that bad...im sure most of you has read that review of an F430 vs that new zonda vs a mclaren slr...

the zonda costs well over a million, the slr wasnt that far beind...

the f430 was the slowest, but by hardly a margin of $500,000.

as for the options? who cares...if you forking out that muh for a ferrari, would u be complaining "ooh,ohh the brakes cost too much, so expensive!" Rolling Eyes

ps, i love how we all bag out supercars, in actual fact...we will never drive or own them... Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:07

meh, fazza's arent that bad...im sure most of you has read that review of an F430 vs that new zonda vs a mclaren slr...

the zonda costs well over a million, the slr wasnt that far beind...

the f430 was the slowest, but by hardly a margin of $500,000.

as for the options? who cares...if you forking out that muh for a ferrari, would u be complaining "ooh,ohh the brakes cost too much, so expensive!" Rolling Eyes

ps, i love how we all bag out supercars, in actual fact...we will never drive or own them... Very Happy

i hope i can prroof u wrong. im studying engineering. fingers cross Razz Razz
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You think maintaining these supercars costs money... you should try owning a hachi Laughing
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR20 trueno wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 05:34

ive only heard 3 360 monena ferraris driving hard before and they even sound poo. with a ferrari all you are buying is the racing IMAGE of history.
if you want a lower budget super car you cant beat the honda NSX-R.

Ferraris sound awesome thanks to the flat plane crank V8! I agree with the rest of your quote though.
Smile
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Sun, 20 November 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nsx = crap heap

get a new vette
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 08:09

You think maintaining these supercars costs money... you should try owning a hachi Laughing

isnt a hachi a supercar?? Rolling Eyes
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 09:15

Lamborghini's are better priced than ferrari's, but for value for money porsche shits on em all Razz . Rear bumper of a diablo is a touch over $13K.

I'd ebay them and get jetspeed to make me a kit.

LOL
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 08:09

LOL, sell your hatchi... you might JUST get enough money to buy one McLaren F1 muffler. Razz
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting you say an NSX is crap, it is the only supercar Mclaren actually bought and used extensively in checks of suspension etc etc when building the F1!! Mclaren were going to use a Honda motor but honda would not build it big enough and with enough cylinders!!! As far as Honda were concerned 4.5 litre V8 was big enough with VTEC!! Also I remember reading in a SPEED earlier in an article on the F1 that the motor was of a BMW motor already in use, next edition I read a letter from a reader stating it was all new, the editor of SPEED of course slammed him!!! The motor was all new with no existing piece being used in a BMW to that date.
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone explain to me how the hell there are 2 identical threads about this??? Surely you're not all bothering to post the same comment in both just because the thread was duplicated??

I refreshed several times and seen new posts go in, what the hell is going on? Is this some big conspiracy you're all in on to try and send me nuts???

Edit: Wow, i posted in one and it's shown up in both. Ok, but do you all realise there's 2 threads or am i the only one this is happening to? (geez i'm gonna sound like a psycho if no-one else knows what i'm on about)

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 06:55]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheres the other one?? Shocked Shocked
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:33

interesting you say an NSX is crap, it is the only supercar Mclaren actually bought and used extensively in checks of suspension etc etc when building the F1!! Mclaren were going to use a Honda motor but honda would not build it big enough and with enough cylinders!!! As far as Honda were concerned 4.5 litre V8 was big enough with VTEC!! Also I remember reading in a SPEED earlier in an article on the F1 that the motor was of a BMW motor already in use, next edition I read a letter from a reader stating it was all new, the editor of SPEED of course slammed him!!! The motor was all new with no existing piece being used in a BMW to that date.

if its so great then how come skylines and rx7 beat it?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 18:33

wheres the other one?? Shocked Shocked

other two are goooooone as they turned into a shit fight so got deleted. Wink
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I read somewhere that McLaren bought a Toyota Sera so they could model the gullwing door design from it. Unsure of the accuracy of the information, but interesting none the less if true.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mclaren F1 would have had prototypes and been in the design phase well before the Sera so i'd say it'd be bullshit.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

BMW used two equivalent m3 engines to create the v12, to some extent.....they were existing....but really......all new.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 00:47

i hope i can prroof u wrong. im studying engineering. fingers cross Razz Razz

hope you do dude Smile

wonder how much an f430 will cost in 10 years...hmmm something to set my self too i think Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 20:01

I read somewhere that McLaren bought a Toyota Sera so they could model the gullwing door design from it. Unsure of the accuracy of the information, but interesting none the less if true.

its very common for companies to buy other cars and research on it. i went to proton facility ones and saw evo's and civics there to be ripped apart.

btw, my hsemate used to have a sera. get some bigger front speakers, and the doors are shit!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering Mitsubishi own a large portion of proton evo's at their factory ain't suprising. Holden had Audi Allroad's and X5 to help design their AWD systems.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 06:01

Considering Mitsubishi own a large portion of proton evo's at their factory ain't suprising.

Doesn't Proton own itself, I wouldn't have thought the Malaysian government would be too happy about foreign ownership.

I thought they just bought Mitsubishi's old designs?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: Found out, they "owned" 16%, but dumped it when the relationship went sour.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Proton used Mitsubishi chassis, engines, breaks, even freeking pedals last time I checked. I know Ben's old Proton had the same 4G15 that my Lancer did.
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, sorry for the interruption again, but it's still here this morning. Pardon the crappy paint dumpscreens but here's what i'm on about;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/gtphoto/scre en.jpg

and one i grabbed yesterday;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/gtphoto/scre en2.jpg

Both threads are identical. Am i the only one getting this???

Edit: Hmmm, minature pictures are very hard to read. Ah, this is getting too fucking hard... Thanks anyway!

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 23:22]

SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 19:33

if its so great then how come skylines and rx7 beat it?

they only win in straight lines, at a race track the NSX flogs them.and its actually not far behind rx7s and skylines in standard form.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Mon, 21 November 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow lets pay 220K for a Jap car with a 3.2L V6 that has been around since 1990 and has only gained 16kw. NSX is a fucking rip off it'd want to beat the others round a track as it's way more expensive. Not to mention for the same price you could get a new 997 911 carrera and i know which one i'd prefer, let alone be faster in a straightline and on a track. Very Happy
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 10:44

Wow lets pay 220K for a Jap car with a 3.2L V6 that has been around since 1990 and has only gained 16kw. NSX is a fucking rip off it'd want to beat the others round a track as it's way more expensive. Not to mention for the same price you could get a new 997 911 carrera and i know which one i'd prefer, let alone be faster in a straightline and on a track. Very Happy

TOTALLY agree
for the price a nsx is a massive rip off and outdated.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 09:56

Proton used Mitsubishi chassis, engines, breaks, even freeking pedals last time I checked. I know Ben's old Proton had the same 4G15 that my Lancer did.

actually, i had the 4G13 Embarassed

the current protons are all made by proton themselves, explaining the decline in quality. the proton gen2 had the door handles falling out all the time Sad

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this the same one that had door alaignment issues?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea.

i just know about the door handle that it was made of material that is not strong enough and made too thin.

Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmmmmm

NSX + twin turbos = me happy in pants.

Tell me that wouldnt hoon
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big Rob wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 16:32

hmmmmmmmmmmm

NSX + twin turbos = me happy in pants.

Tell me that wouldnt hoon

That wouldn't hoon Razz
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 15:17

the current protons are all made by proton themselves, explaining the decline in quality. the proton gen2 had the door handles falling out all the time Sad

Wow god-damn. I didn't think protons could get any worse in terms of quality. Shocked Saw a front bumper of a proton fly off and land like 10 metres away....

After being rear-ended.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Far out, don't even think that'd happen on my car even though I don't quite have all of the eleventy billion bolts attached!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 15:17

Shraka wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 09:56

actually, i had the 4G13 Embarassed

What engines are they using now? Confused

And those who're saying the NSX is crap need a punch in the face. It is expensive, but only about twice the price of a R34 Skyline GTR of the same year (AU$108,800 vs AU$58,800 at current exchange rate). When you consider it makes the same power (206kw) and not far behind in the torque department (304Nm vs 392Nm) but DOESN'T have a set of turbos hanging off the side, that's pretty impressive. N/A is allways more expensive than turbo. The NSX is also lighter (1320kg vs 1560kg) and handles way better in stock form.

Yes the 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera has slightly more power (239kw) and torque (370Nm), and is about the same weight (1345kg) but it is more expensive at AU$195,225 AU deliverd, or AU$131,617 if you buy in England (to make it fair with the above comparisons to JP prices). And I'm not so sure that a standard Porsche 911 Carerra would be able to out handle an NSX.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes cos RB26DETT's only have 206kw Razz my fucking arse they do wink wink nudge nudge gentleman's agreement. See i am talking AUS delivered NSX's here and guess what thats $220K so more than the porsche fuck that.

If i am gonna pay 220K for a car it sure ain't gonna be a Honda. Yay it has 206kw and 304Nm of torque out of a 3.2l V6. Well the BMW M3 ($70K cheaper in aus) has 252kw and 350+ nm of torque out of a 3.2L inline 6 or heck even the 350z for 50-60K has 206-221kw and 363Nm of torque and you got another 160K to throw at the car.

NSX is an overpriced hunk of metal, its outdated and hasn't progressed throughout it's life time, the porsche shits on it as does many other jap cars for much less money.

Ever wonder why it has sold in such a low volume in australia maybe because it is way below par Razz .
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: F1 Mclaren exhaust, weight saving Tue, 22 November 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I was going to buy an NSX when I lived in Melbourne.1994 with 130 000km on the clock for 60K,deadset one of the sexiest cars I have ever had the pleasure to drive.My mate who had it,owned a 996 turbo carrera,355 spyder,some big merc CLK thing a Current model Diablo(2003) and a GTR skyline with the works Shocked The guy was a fukkn maniac and the best asian driver in the country Very Happy He at one stage say over the year owned all cars at the same time. Very Happy

The fezz was always in the shop to the point he got rid of it,and the lambo was just useless on the street.The porsche was the angriest of the lot with the power delivery just a fukkn aggressive car.But the skyline was the quickest well mabye cause he didnt really care about it so it got given a REALLY hard time.Basically what im getting at is when you truly reach the level to AFFORD these types of cars you dont give a fuck about the cost involved to keep them running.I didnt get the NSX because I couldnt afford the upkeep and too be honest it probably wouldnt have been much more than a current model merc.Untill somthing rare went on it then I was fucked.

All I know is I hope one day to be in the position to truly be able to afford one of these babies and hopefully before im 50 so id atleast have the reflexes to get the most of of her AND the honeys that will wana play with my doodle when i own one Laughing
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gold plated 3t-gteu w55
Next Topic:old school 5 stud rims [tech now. RA23 brake convos]
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:39:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092058181762695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.