Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:22 Go to next message
who use to play with this stuff as kids?

i was in the process of cleaning out my room and i opened my closet and moved some shit and found my tub of technic... open it up *just to look and go ahh good ol day* and to my suprise there was 3 cars that i had bought and made up sitting there.. im like wtf sick.

pick them out pull out the box and to my suprise there was another box underneith of a mind storm star wars figure... im like omg i remember that. it wasnt together so i sat there today and made it... took hlaf hour when it use to take me 3 hours. ahh
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8805/thingyo9rg.jpg
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4545/thingo28hd.jpg

anyone else use to make this stuff?

i use to love it. i wanted a massive car at one point that had gears and everything was insane. then they brough out new models that had awesome looking mag wheels.

and no im not a nerd geek or ne other fully 1337 style copmuter nut.
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i loved the technic, it was tops Very Happy i didnt have much cause it was pretty expensive for a kid. i did have a car with a V6 and the pistons moved, to me it was the coolest. no hang on thats not the coolest, ive been to LEGOLAND thats the coolest Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u seen the new lego? it looks like all the parts are weird shapes so itd be hard to make other shit than whats on the box..

cant mess with the classic brick
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recon anyone who is now in an engineering/mechanical line of work has had to have played with lego technic at some time as a kid... i think i first learnt how a diff works with lego technic Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't have technics, had mechano (spelling) though. Great stuff for kids to play with keeps em occupied for hours Razz .

I made a battery powered whipper snipper out of mechano for a school project in primary school.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once made a huge (12-5") mech like gundam kinda of thing... drop it and never touched lego again Confused
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lego ive got shit loads! tub = 600x 500 x 400 full... generations of lego.. from my oldest bro to other bro then was pasted to me agea ago...

technic was mostly mine... never had the mecano sets as the packs were dodgy n everytime i had a new one it wouldnt have a nut or bolt in it
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mechano sux, lego's where its at Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 06:42]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 16:41

nuf said, end topic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:56

EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 16:41

nuf said, end topic

my first corolla was cheaper than a big Mechano set AND had more pieces..... Wink
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a F1 car, a helicopter, and heaps more. Its good fun.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agghhhh those little tiny mechano nuts!!!! agghhh

and the way the mechano plastic smelt Confused Confused Confused

lock thread - bad dreams a commin
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/rexless/SA500386Resized.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/rexless/SA500388Resized.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/rexless/SA500381Resized.jpg

i want to buy that 60cm long f1 car...that thing rocks.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 14:43]

jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha dude the gearstick on that car looks abit far away Razz
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did anyone else have that set with the control board and all the motors?the one how you can make it draw stuff with a pen? that was way cool.
i built a car both left hand wheels run by one motor and both rh wheels controlled by a second, and you could steer it like an rc car it was awsome.
but you had to run after it coz of the wires going from car to board Laughing
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i use to love it. i wanted a massive car at one point that had gears and everything was insane. then they brough out new models that had awesome looking mag wheels.

I had that when I was little. Yes, V6 with moving pistons, Diff, 3 gears + Neutral, pop up lights, full suspension with massive travel. Man that car was awesome.
I remeber Modding mine though so it had a bigger spoiler (Yes I started the whole trend) and I put in some lights that actually work and I motorised (electrically) the engine too but the motor wasn't quite powerful enough to move the car.

I have had a few in my day. I still have a truck with electrics and pnumatics. It has a rotating crane on the back that can move and pick stuff up, and also have the Model Team Truck with the helicopter on the back.

I don't like Lego these days becuase it seems less and less hard to build stuff. The Enzo looks OK, but it's like rather than using 100 blocks to mak a curve, it's now just one pressed piece. Takes the challange and fun away in my opinion.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lego is teh win!

i have the F1 car at home full V10 motor with moving pitons, steering, and an operational diff (tho no gears Crying or Very Sad )

I also have the AT-AT and R2-D2 at home...so much fun

And i agree that the parts are getting wierd and a lot harder to use outside of the lil project they came with.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I once constructed an exact replica of 'The Sea Duck' (the plane from the cartoon Tailspin) was yellow and everything.

Damn it rocked. Lego forever.....
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 02:13

haha dude the gearstick on that car looks abit far away Razz

but its a dogleg!, respect Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 22:34]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 21 November 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love the end stops as trumpets on that motor Laughing

there so many i wana get now... the new ones are prett weird but of the old new ones were good.
AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: lego - technic Tue, 22 November 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 16:34

i recon anyone who is now in an engineering/mechanical line of work has had to have played with lego technic at some time as a kid... i think i first learnt how a diff works with lego technic Laughing

It's funny cause its true.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: lego - technic Tue, 22 November 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 21:37

agghhhh those little tiny mechano nuts!!!! agghhh

and the way the mechano plastic smelt Confused Confused Confused

lock thread - bad dreams a commin

Plastic mechano????

When did that happen. Mine was metal, bendable, way cool and I used to pop rivet stuff together as well.

Lego = teh good

Star Wars Tech = Ebay $$$ winner
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: lego - technic Tue, 22 November 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
offen wondered what i would make off the at-at on ebay!

should try and flog it off
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: lego - technic Tue, 22 November 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah yeah, mechano had plastic panels and shit that you could bolt into the metal superstructure, kinda like icecream container type plastic. had rectangles and triangles n shit

stuff smelt like a fucken petrochemical plant...
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: lego - technic Tue, 22 November 2005 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where the spanner work\creativity started..........

YES but the racers were on the scalextrix track

AND the fkn serious racers were down the BIG track next to the bowling alley with the MODDED slot cars! now your talking. Evil or Very Mad
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: lego - technic Sun, 27 November 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry blokes. It got the better of me in the end. It's Meccano not mechano.

Cheers, Greg.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lego - technic Sun, 27 November 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 15:38

Sorry blokes. It got the better of me in the end. It's Meccano not mechano.
Cheers, Greg.

Good on you, sunshine. You beat me too it.

And, to go against the tide, Lego is kiddies shit compared to Meccano. When you grow up out of baby land of pushing together little plastic blocks you then went into the real world of mechanics and got into Meccano.

seeyuzz
river
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had some pretty crazy lego. fibre optics, I loved that stuff. I made drag cars and had motors and stuff for them to. i sold it all on ebay a year or so ago and made a few hundred. was a sad day for me Sad sooo many hours of fun but we all gotta move on same day.

p.s. meccano was lame compared to mega sweet cool awesome lego
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerald1 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 17:06

p.s. meccano was lame compared to mega sweet cool awesome lego

Lego is used for the special needs students at my daughter's school. Meccano is too complicated. Must be the same for you Gerald. Wink
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lego only for "special needs" students?? what has the world come to! obviously you haven't heard about the millipede made from lego! it was over a 1050m!!! Now I'm no expert, but i havne't seen any "special needs" students make kilometre long millipedes. only a real man could make that, only a real man could connect 2,477,140 bricks together. Now if meccano is so awesome, why wouldn't they make it out of that?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos it'd be rusted by the time you finished the damn thing Razz and I don't really know to many silver millipede's how about you Surprised .

Meccano rocked the only problem was the last step to finish off them usually involved some screw being attached right in the middle of the thing which made for lots of err fun in trying to finish it off.

Can you make a working whipper snipper out of lego technic Wink , i mean this shit really cut grass and anything else that got in the way. Rolling Eyes
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Gerald1 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 21:06

lego only for "special needs" students?? what has the world come to! obviously you haven't heard about the millipede made from lego! it was over a 1050m!!! Now I'm no expert, but i havne't seen any "special needs" students make kilometre long millipedes. only a real man could make that, only a real man could connect 2,477,140 bricks together. Now if meccano is so awesome, why wouldn't they make it out of that?

LOL!!! Smile That's not a mans task, that's the task of a bored fool. Face it, Lego is easy. It's not hard to push together some plastic blocks - even if you're crazy enough to push together 2million of them. That doesn't mean Lego is awesome, it means that Lego is easy. Just bang 'em together and keep going.

Having owned both Lego and Meccano, I found the Meccano to be much more challenging and more fun. Sure, Lego is fun and easy and simple and I loved it - but Meccano is where the real fun, and ability to design new things comes along. Meccano is more of a challenge.

The reason your Meccano design would rust is 'cos you took too long and weren't up to the challenge. Wink

Lego is the AFX of the slot car world, where Meccano is the Scalextric/Fly.

seeyuzz
river
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im special in everyway..

well my mum says im cool Laughing

deep down inside you know you love it, you just dont wana admit to the stuff as it has a lack of go fast bit turbo sutff *insert turbo flutter*
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh I remember making Lego soccer playing robots in high school. The ball had a bunch of Led's inside so your optical sensors could pick it up. The floor had a large black to white gradient printed on it so you could determine which way to go. The robot could remember a basic set of instructions for programming. I remember when I hid a bunch of lights underneath my robot, the opposing teams robot ended up picking up the light and following mine around trying to mount it.

I have tubs and tubs of Lego here. I was never really into technic that much. I have a few sets here and there, but I always loved Lego for the visual aspect, not the mechanical design. Setting yourself massive projects like recreating the Millenium Falcon or a Star Destroyer from whatever you could scavenge was always the best.

These days Lego kits all seem to have every single piece customed designed. Where is the fun and imagination in trying to make something when you have every single piece custom moulded already.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 12:15]

AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: lego - technic Mon, 28 November 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Major Clod wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 23:12

Ahh I remember making Lego soccer playing robots in high school. The ball had a bunch of Led's inside so your optical sensors could pick it up. The floor had a large black to white gradient printed on it so you could determine which way to go. The robot could remember a basic set of instructions for programming. I remember when I hid a bunch of lights underneath my robot, the opposing teams robot ended up picking up the light and following mine around trying to mount it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
That would have been fun to watch.
Marc205
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: lego - technic Tue, 06 December 2005 06:56 Go to previous message
Gerald1 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 18:06

Now if meccano is so awesome, why wouldn't they make it out of that?

I've got a collection, of both and I'd say it's because of the tolerances Lego is made to. (5 micrometers in any direction.) Shocked

Meccano is more fun, but Lego's easier to whip something up with. It always just fits.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RIP Big Kev
Next Topic:Swallow
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:25:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058062076568604 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.