Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 03:05 Go to next message
ive been doin sum research into engine convertions and yeh have decided on a 7mgte coz its a straight fit and yeh minimal messing around just to get my facts straight i need to get a front mount sump 7mgte for my ma61 correct? it bolts straight into where the 5me sat? i can use the 5me flywheel by have to get a stronger clutch due to smaller dim. flywheel? so is that all mechanical done? engine in and drive traint sorted..

basically eletric wise i have no idea...would be worth finding a manaul engine?? get a auto elect to do

what would the cheapest figure i be looking for to do this conversion providing i do all or most of mechanical work and get a friends or elect to do the wiring

and let me know if im missing anything

cheeers for all the help Mo
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use the 5me sump. You can either modify the 7mgte pick-up to suit, or be lazy like me, and use the 5me pick-up also (note: if your engine goes bang, its not my fault... mine hasn't yet). Transfer the 5me engine mounts to the 7mgte and bob's your uncle. It should slot straight in.

Flywheel you can use the 5me one too. Make a brass button up to suit the 5me diameter and you'll be fine.

Auto and manual engine makes no difference. If you get an auto engine, bridge the neutral start switch.

Electricals you can do yourself. I think there was like 18 wires in total you need to splice? I hate wires man, and my car managed to start and now run for over a year Razz

If you can get your hands on a 7mgte fuel pump that would be tops too.

If you were to do all labour yourself, I'd put the conversion to be around the price of engine + clutch + oil, coolant, flush, some wires and electrical tape.

Hope this helps

Yian

PS. There is a website...

which is this

http://andy.supras.org.nz/

shows you everything you need for the conversion. Have fun and welcome to the club Surprised
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers man yeh that does help....lets my mind at ease Very Happy hmmzz i was thinkin of the 1jz/2jz but yeh too much lots of screwin around ....so for now im happy with a 7m Smile well lets see how i go Razz and thanks again yian
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m goes plenty good. Very big step up from the 5me thats for sure. If you don't like wiring, a 1jz or 2jz conversion would suck the big one. Mate's doing one at the moment and you should see the amount of wiring involved Shocked
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont mind wiring aslong as i know whats goin on...but for engines i have no idea at the moment Sad any guys in WA willin to show me there coverted supras?? yian...did u have to get the oil filter relocation kit and stuff...by the sounds of thigns u just slapped her ina dn ran her??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msg cruz and jcmf - they both know one end of a soldering iron from the other (I think).
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which engine from what car is the most "easiest" to use for this conversion? or really all of em are the same?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, ya they do Smile

Really, the 1JZ/2JZ wiring isn't much more complicated anyway, the wires coming in and out of the engine loom are pretty easy to sort out.

That said, the 7M is a nice bolt-in upgrade. Read and re-read Andy's site. It was that comprehensive that I could wire up my 1G with it quite easily even though they were different.

I'd show you my wiring, but once the glovebox is in, you wouldn't be able to pick it Razz As for the car, you're more than welcome to come check it out, it's not a 7M, but there isn't really much difference in what is required.
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for the offer frank Wink plus nice to see a good clean example of a mk2 supra where abouts u live dude?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering they all will require your gearbox stuff and 5ME sump, they're all much of a muchness, just get the one in the best condition.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I did a little more than just slap the engine in. Changed most seals/gaskets while the engine was out. I used a relocation kit purely to make it easier to change the oil filter. You don't have to. You can get away with just taking out the bolt (where the 5me oil filter screws on to) from the 5me and transfering it to the 7mgte block. That way you can run the oil filter at the same location as the 5me.

It mentions on Andy's site that with the relocation kit, you'd be able to run the oil cooler as well, but tried as I did, I couldn't get it to fit (the oil filter/cooler standard adaptor). The engine mounts foul against that. Maybe if you had a bit more patience it would work.

If you had all the parts required (i.e. clutch, oils, coolant, headgasket done, head machined or whatever else and 7m put back together), I reckon it'd just take a solid weekend between a couple of you.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Help Tue, 22 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have PM.
Pr0j3kt_SA63
Regular

December 2004
Re: MA61 Help Wed, 23 November 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah if i used my flywheel naturally do i use my starter motor?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Help Wed, 23 November 2005 05:07 Go to previous message
ya
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Starting problems: 2t AND 3sge :x
Next Topic:Starting 4age with just extractors
Goto Forum: