Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 07:36 Go to next message
think im a bit on the paranoid side but ill ask Razz

just put a gt30r on my celica, just checking everything i blew into the oil feed with a bit of hose and u cant blow into it like its sealed or something, does anyone know what the story is with that, like u cant blow one bit of air into the core , its either supost to be like that id be going with this one though, the return is on and the sump is full of oil by rights you shouldnt be able to blow into it until the engines running ans u cant move 5 litres out of the sump with the pressure of your breath corect?

it is almost blatently obvious but im just checking as it cost me an arm and a leg well to me it is. and the turbo has the tiniest bit of shaft play i suspect thats normal

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 07:47]

Send a private message to this user    
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems to make sense. i doubt you would be able to blow into the return and "move" or bubble the oil.. maybe blow air from a compressor down it??

As for the shaftplay. if it only minimal, that sounds normal. from what i was told, once the oil is flowing around the turbo bearings it sort of fills-it in gap.

Sorry for really bad explaination Razz , but you get the idea.
Lukass
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well your oil drain shouldn't be below the level of oil in the sump, it should drain freely.
That sounds pretty normal, being a newer turbo it will have a restrictor and the clearances are pretty small.
If you are really worried your better off cranking the motor until you get oil pressure and seeing if you have oil draining back. Not sure how much oil it is going to flow since it's not spinning.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i know it has a restrictor i doubt u can blow air into it as yer your not gunna be able to move the oil so u can blow the air through i was just asking dont wanna hurt it haha..
Lukass
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 20 November 2005 20:18

yer i know it has a restrictor i doubt u can blow air into it as yer your not gunna be able to move the oil so u can blow the air through i was just asking dont wanna hurt it haha..

What oil are you blowing through?
Like I said the drain should be above the oil level so you should be able to blow freely into the sump. Even if it is below the oil level you could still easily blow bubbles. If you can't blow into the sump then your breather is blocked and this is really going to blow (pun intended) when it pressurises and pushes your oil out past the seals.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Connect it up to the engine oil supply, start the engine, and check how much oil comes out the outlet.

Increase engine speed to raise oil pressure, and using a container and a stopwatch, measure the oil flow rate through the core.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i think it should be fine ill double check that its feeding the turbo tomoro after work
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: oil feed turbo Sun, 20 November 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i cant blow shit into the sump, like nothing, i dont know if you could blow bubbles or not theres like 5 litres of oil in there, thats why im asking for some advise i dont see why its blockd its a brand new turbo, thats why i think the oil is stopping me from blowing

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 10:02]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: oil feed turbo Tue, 22 November 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the oil level in your sump is above the return from the turbo (maybe stopping you from blowing down the line?)..
then the return line is located too low in your sump and needs to be relocated higher so it's above the oil level in the sump, otherwise you will end up with oil build up in the return which will result in lots of smoke and maybe stuffing the seals/bushes in your new turbo.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: oil feed turbo Tue, 22 November 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm confused

u r trying to blow down the oil FEED and no air is coming out the DRAIN, right
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: oil feed turbo Wed, 23 November 2005 07:51 Go to previous message
well some useless trivia you cant blow down the feed and blow bubbles into the sump, my feed and return is working perfectly and u cant blow down id say its due to restrictors etc,
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:!HELP! - ECU LOCATION AE112
Next Topic:heat proof materials
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:39:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053958892822266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.