Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 05:34 Go to next message
Hi guys
as the title reads is there anyone here who has turboed a gen2 3sge n/a engine and what results did they have.
Trav
  Send a private message to this user    
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not many people bothered turboing a 3s-ge just because it was easyer, more cost effective to just drop in a 3S-GTE

the 3s-ge doesnt really have as strong of internals compared to the 3s-gte so you cant really boost it that much.

do some search's but you'll be lucky to find if anyone has done this conversion
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the member's rides section. there's a guy in Norway who's done it - i think his name's Bart
fuckin tops car, looks ace and has a heap of shit under the bonnet including NAWS!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:22

the 3s-ge doesnt really have as strong of internals compared to the 3s-gte so you cant really boost it that much.

is that just an assumption? what parts are different?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only differences are as follows gen and 2 na have no oil squirters ,but the gen 3 does and the comp is higher as well compared to the turbo version and they all have steel cranks ,and from gen 3 the blocks did change mainly in the turbo blocks as in stronger
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have thought about it, could run a very tidy setup I reckon, a few of the SR20DE guys have done SR20DE+T conversions, with awesome results. I think it would be a fair bit cheaper for people who dont have the skills to do a full conversion(I know I sure as hell dont).
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 17:22

not many people bothered turboing a 3s-ge just because it was easyer, more cost effective to just drop in a 3S-GTE

do some search's but you'll be lucky to find if anyone has done this conversion

The 3sge has same crank and rods from memory, im more after what sort of results people have had performance wise? Im not doing your run of the mill celica fwd conversion, this is a rwd format.
Trav
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gen2 3SGE has oil squirters indeed, and the internals are just as strong as the GTE ones afaik.
The difference is that the GTE pistons are low comp ones and the cylinder head of the GTE flows better than the GE.

Last summer I helped a friend turbo his -90 Celica GTi. Without opening the engine at all, it ran fine on 7-8psi on standard GTi compression. The WG didn't work really well so sometimes the boost even went up to 12psi. No problems whatsoever.

Using streetdyno, we estimated the power to be well over 200hp after the conversion.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 13:19]

510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Gen2 3SGE does NOT have oil squirters - I plan to fit them, but as it sits right now, it does NOT have oil squirters...

GTE intake ports are bigger than GE intake ports, and should have better static flow on a flow bench, but that doesn't necessarily imply better cylinder filling... port velocity, ultimate static flow, and cylinder filling are interdependent, but static flow is not necessarily the best cylinder filling...
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Mon, 21 November 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
510rob wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 08:53

My Gen2 3SGE does NOT have oil squirters - I plan to fit them, but as it sits right now, it does NOT have oil squirters...

GTE intake ports are bigger than GE intake ports, and should have better static flow on a flow bench, but that doesn't necessarily imply better cylinder filling... port velocity, ultimate static flow, and cylinder filling are interdependent, but static flow is not necessarily the best cylinder filling...

Thats correct rob, the gen 2 doesnt have squirters but does have the machined face there ready to be drilled and tapped for them.
Pugho, thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Did you guys retune the ecu or did it still retain the standard n/a ecu??
Thanks
Trav
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's weird.. The gen2 3SGE's sold over here have the oil squirters in them.
(We are all talking about the MAP-based ACIS engine that came in the '90-'93 celica, right? Not the old TVIS AFM one..)
It also has knock detection. This is probably why a gen1 engine would not have lived thru it.

As our turbo installation was just a low budget one just to show that it can be done, we used the stock ECU with a valve connected to the MAP sensor to let the excess pressure out. Before we put in the valve, the ECU responded to the unexpected pressure by simply cutting the fuel as the boost reached something like 4-5psi. Don't remember exactly how much..
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pugho,
Mine is a jap import gen2 and has no oil squirters just the machined face for them. Any idea what your comp ratio was??? Also what Ron is your fuel??
I wonder if infact you guys got a non turboed 3SGTE engine?? just a thought!

Also anyone ever checked the comp ratio of a gen2 3SGE N/A engine. If so what did you get?
Trav
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think jap spec had 10.5:1 CR and the aus spec had 10.2:1
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gen 2 10 to 1 gen 3 10.5to 1
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not too sure about the comp ratio other than that it is more than 10:1.

The fuel is RON 98. We also have an ethanol based fuel that is 85% ethanol an 15% gasoline. It's RON rating is also 98 and we discovered that the engine was a bit stronger on this fuel.

The engine is not a non turboed 3SGTE.. The 2 gen GTE still had AFM and TVIS, this doesn't. We didn't have to import our engine. The 2gen 3SGE is widely available in sweden as it was the only engine sold in the celica gti for several years. We never got the 4AFE or 5SFE.
I'm talking about one of these:
http://pugho.teamymse.net/bilder/diverse/PA2300276 40.jpg
Geordie
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about rebuilding the NA with forged pistons, then you get the strong fresh bottom end with the correct compression ratio. Also will the NA manual gearbox cope?
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pugho,
yep thats the same as mine, interesting that you guys have oil squirters and mine doesnt, perhaps diffirent specs for diffirent countrys??
RA45,
thankyou, i think i may have meet you from central vic auto parts?? Is that you Glenn Booth?

Geordie, its a rwd setup and ill be doing a g/box conversion to something stronger at the same time.
Trav
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, why not just go with the 3sgte then? If your going to start "improving" on the 3sge, I am pretty sure it would work out cheaper to just drop the other engine in.
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Turboing a N/A 3SGE gen2?? whos done it Tue, 22 November 2005 23:01 Go to previous message
Windex wrote on Wed, 23 November 2005 09:42

Hmmmm, why not just go with the 3sgte then? If your going to start "improving" on the 3sge, I am pretty sure it would work out cheaper to just drop the other engine in.

Im doing a high comp, low boost setup
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Air-Con on/ overheat
Next Topic:mx83 and 1jz install..q's about r154/1jz/computer setup!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:32:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049960613250732 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.