Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20v tuning TPS or MAP?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 01:28 Go to next message
what would you guys recommend for 20v with quads to use TPS or MAP as loading source?
  Send a private message to this user    
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a stock 20v, you should have no problems using MAP.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for quads to air most people use TPS i believe as the MAP signal is very weak.

there are ecu's that use TPS with MAP override but quite rare/expensive
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAP is only weak at idle or when cams have large overlap....

but it doesn't have to be a problem.... a guy using a megasquirt had GSXR ITB's on an Alfa engine (ie similar to 18RG) and it had only 25kpa vac at idle... (ie 75kpa pressure) cruise was about 80-85kpa and full load (obviously) 100kpa....

even with that small range the car ran very well....

the problem comes with these aftermarket ECU's with fixed load points... whats the point of having 16 load points if you can only use 2 or 3 due to your ITB's.. with the MS, he grouped 7 points between 100kpa and 75kpa.. then put one point at 50kpa for decel mixtures....

even the Wolf has TPS mode for idle and then a programmable cross-over point to MAP.. any decent ECU should have it...

so basically, if you have enough load points in the range you will need (ie from 80-100% load in Wolf terms) then it should be fine... if you have big cams, you will need TPS mode for idle, but thats about it...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time I checked even a Microtech could do MAP vs TPS, and that was a couple of years ago. They were tuning a GTR in Zoom or HPI (I forget which one).
adamaw11
Regular

February 2005
Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What ECU are you using Gwaijaitat?

I run mine in TPS mode and its pretty livable, I've had it like that for a couple of years. If I used MAP mode I'd probably only have about 3 load points lol(EMS stinger).
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using microtech, as far as I can see there are only 5 loading points are actually useful, from 20Hg to 0Hg, may be I should go TPS as there should be more loading point, something like from 0% to 65% from what I have read from this forum. But I also worry about like you know mountain and sea level have different atmosphere pressure, does it any matter? and, the vacuum at low speed driving is different from when you driving high speed with the same amount of throttle opening position, because wind coming into engine bay??.
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: 20v tuning TPS or MAP? Wed, 23 November 2005 13:00 Go to previous message
Also one other thing which i get confused. With the higher presure fuel pump, using the same fuel map, in same engine, does it mean it will run more rich? Doesn't the fuel regulator independently control the fuel presure goes into the injector or the fuel regulator only add a bit of presure on top of the fuel pump presure? Or, the injector flow rate has nothing to do with fuel pressure at all but only the injector max flow rate times opening time?
I asked because when I'm using other map with a stock 20v I notice that I need to decrease a fair bit of fuel in order to make the car runs good, which the map has been used by many other 20v user and most of them were runing good(you know the map that had been floating around for years).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20 Valve - Black top modding options
Next Topic:1jz in mz21
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:17:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050578117370605 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.