Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
wondering about g'box variations Mon, 21 November 2005 11:16 Go to next message
my old man wants to know if there's any way of identifying the differences between the overdrives of the 5 and 6 speed supra 'boxes, we've got a v12 jag and he wants to make it a manual... anyone know details??
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wondering about g'box variations Mon, 21 November 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox ratios here:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/Gearboxes.html

Good luck getting a Getrag to work with a Jag V12 though.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: wondering about g'box variations Mon, 21 November 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do you say that?? are all 3 6 speeds getrag?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: wondering about g'box variations Tue, 22 November 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Getrag boxes are the V160 and V161. The Altezza/IS200 box (J160) is made by Aisin Warner. Not sure what that other 6 speed is that's listed for the 4WD Tercel.

The J160 probably won't last behind a Jag V12.

The Getrag boxes on the other hand will survive. However, their bellhousing is part of the main gearbox case. Modification of the bellhousing will require disassembly of the box. Alternatively, you could make a bellhousing adaptor (as per the chuckster's method - see his thread, it's golden), run a thicker flywheel possibly with the spigot bearing incorporated in that. Plenty of ways to skin that cat, none of which are simple and cheap - have a look at one and you'll see the problems.

By the way, here are the V160 and V161 ratios. No idea how you might tell them apart externally, so your best bet would be to count revolutions.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 00:04]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wondering about g'box variations Wed, 23 November 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should also be aware the V160/V161 typically sells for upwards of $3k second-hand. If you just want a 6-speed box you might want to think about something like a T56.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: wondering about g'box variations Wed, 23 November 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha... manual conversions to the jag V12 have been done many times before with the supra box, but like you said... a million and one ways to skin a cat.. for the moment i'm only looking for the data on that link norbie listed... one more question... how can you tell the boxes apart when you look at them?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: wondering about g'box variations Wed, 23 November 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
Norbie and I are talking about the issues pertaining solely to the Getrag boxes. Dellow and CRS sell kits to manualize a Jag V12 so that's a no brainer.

As for how to tell the different 5 speeds apart, if you look at the stickies at the top of this forum you will see an FAQ - in one of those is a tech article telling you what to look for.

With regard to telling the 6 speeds apart, the V160/1 will weigh 50+ kg, the J160 is considerably smaller and lighter. So if it's a 6 speed and over 50 kg, it's a V160/1.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:heat proof materials
Next Topic:18RG Oil Pump Shaft and flow rates
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:57:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049998760223389 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.