Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Steering wobble problem - KE55 Fri, 18 November 2005 15:42 Go to next message
Just bought a KE55 recently and am having a problem with some pretty violent steering wobble.

When I hit a large bump or pothole the steering wheel starts shaking left and right from the vibrations and will continue until I jerk the wheel around or slow down.

What do you think could be causing this? The wheels need aligning but it doesn't seem to be that badly maligned so I'm not sure it's that.

I think this model (1978) came with recirculating ball, maybe some of the parts involved have become worn and loose with age? How should I go about diagnosing this problem and where can I get new parts from if I need to?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Sorry just did a search (probably should have thought of that first Sad ) and it seems like it might have something to do with my wheel bearings? My friend said they were making strange noises as well so I might try replacing them first, what do you think?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 15:45]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Fri, 18 November 2005 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack it up and see if there is nasty wheel movement

then check if the tie rod ends are worn,

then adjust the steering coloumn

then check if pitman arm and idler arm are worn

definitely check the alignment...first by eye, then get it set properly...

if any parts are worn, they will need to be replaced before alignment is set (or it will have to be done after)

one way to check roughly is to have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you watch for where things are loose...

good luck.. it certainly doesn't sound safe Shocked
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Fri, 18 November 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm ok, where can I get replacement parts and how much am I looking at here?
EMD-AE86
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Fri, 18 November 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lower control arm may be bent. Happened to a friend in a very similar situation.
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Sat, 19 November 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked it out today and it seems like the pitman arm is rooted. For a new one and new idler arm for safetys sake was quoted 125 from Autopro. Sad Also we discovered my brake lines are stuffed and that will be $80 for the both of them at the front.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll post back here and say if replacing the pitman fixes it or not.
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Sun, 20 November 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone help me out with the correct torque settings for the pitman and idler arm bolts? Need to know this before I replace the parts and haven't bought a Gregories manual for my car yet - it's a 1978 KE55 Corolla with circular headlights. Thanks!
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Sun, 20 November 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pitman arm to steering box - as tight as you can (big bolt, not much chance of threading it)
pitman arm to track rod - make sure its seated properly, and probably about 30 ft-lbs, but it should either be a nylox nut or castle nut with split pin, so it wont come loose. same for the idler arm to track rod.
idler arm to chassis - about 30ish, whatever you can put on with a normal 1/2inch ratchet, without swinging off it.

Ive done these parts in several vehicles, never had them come loose or wear prematurely. Easiest way to get ball joints off is to loosen the nut on the top, and bash the donut that they seat into on the side with a big hammer. There should already be bash marks from where it was done before. Dont hit on the top of the thread, or on the nut, you will stuff it, and be there for hours anyways. even the most corroded ones ive come across working at wreckers come off with about 5 hits of a mini sledge (most come off with about 5 hits of a 32oz ball pein)

Hope this helps, and good luck, KE55's are very good cars, virtually indestructable (my commodore toting brother couldnt even kill the one I built for him after 1 1/2 yrs of mistreatment and neglect)

Cheers, Owen
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Sun, 20 November 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol cheers mate, I'm pretty pleased with it so far, just gotta sort out a few safety/maintenance issues for rego and hopefully she should be sweet!
mrselfdestruct
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Wed, 23 November 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friends came over tonight and we installed a new pitman arm, new idler arm and new brake lines. Then we bled the brake fluid and flushed it, followed by topping it up with new fluid. Hooray! Works great now, no more wobbles.

Thanks for all your help guys!
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: Steering wobble problem - KE55 Wed, 23 November 2005 11:32 Go to previous message
you can also tighten the steering up a little by loosening the 12mm bolt on the top of the steering box and turning the screw it holds.
Obviously, tighten the bolt and hold the screw at the same time.
Makes a fair difference
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What fits dellow housing fork dust cover hole?
Next Topic:loctite on condrod bolts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:36:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046510696411133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.