Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
teejay
Regular

November 2004
2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sun, 21 November 2004 14:54 Go to next message
Any difficulties doing this conversion ?

i plan on getting either a supra or aristo cut and doing this. prefer manual, base car is auto

is there any issues fitting the engine and box etc?

ive done rb25det into r31, so im used to conversions, but i dont know my toyotas so well

Cheers for any advice

Tom
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sun, 21 November 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be very similar to the 2JZ MA71 conversion, which Stenno has done. Apparently it's quite straightforward if you use a JZA80 front cut. Unfortunately the Aristo has the wrong sump, and it isn't available in manual.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sun, 21 November 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah was well aware they dont come manual.

hopefully its pretty much one of those pull the old out put the new in type conversions
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sun, 21 November 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/714965 53

ive decided to grab that

clean , nice base car , has the style of rims i like on an old soarer

another option is 1jz also

now dont spose you know any perth boys who are good with this sort of work ?
waxE
Regular

June 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Mon, 22 November 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey teejay,

have a speak to trueno_gze? i think hes got a soarer with the 2jz swap and hes in perth, maybe u can even check it out...
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Mon, 22 November 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not for sale is it?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Tue, 23 November 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay's writes

a n t i l a g . c o m

I believe your sig is lagging Laughing
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Tue, 23 November 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a JZA70 cut or a JZZ21 cut (damn rare) the swap for a 1J into an old soarer is as straigtfoward as unbolt all engine to body connections, drop the crossmember with the lot, do the same on the halfcut, leave the wheels on both, take a trolley jack and wheel the jza70 crossmember/engine/box and all into position under your MZ21 and bolt it all up. you will need wiring and a tailshaft, unless you get the factory JZA70 tailshaft. Buy a JZA70 1/2 cut if you want to do this swap. if you want a 2JZGTE buy a motor alone and sell the 1J that comes in your 1/2 cut, .
If you dont get a halfcut your going to need to find a JZA70 crossmember, sump, gearbox x/member and engine mounts. Stenno used the crossmember from my JZA70 type R halfcut in his 2J conversion.
btw, im not just crapping on about something i have heard, i have done the 1J - MZ21 conversion 1 yr ago, it went quite nice.
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Wed, 24 November 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you have an 89.5+ Soarer, then any J series engine will drop straight onto the x-member.
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Wed, 24 November 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, if you have a 89.5 + soarer or supra the engine will bolt onto the crossmember WITH the JZA70 mounts. if your soarer is earlier the crossmember is different. 89.5+ MZ21's are quite the rarity
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Wed, 24 November 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... ok, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was what I just said... 89.5+ have the correct x-member to mount a J series engine providing it comes with mounts... although I'm not sure if JZZ30 and JZA80 mounts are the same as JZA70 mounts...
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
89.5 onward supras came with the jza70 so im guseeing it will bolt onto straight away

before that im pretty sure the 1jz can stil be put into a soarer engine bay ive seen it done dunno about the 2jz though
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 15:08

89.5 onward supras came with the jza70 so im guseeing it will bolt onto straight away

before that im pretty sure the 1jz can stil be put into a soarer engine bay ive seen it done dunno about the 2jz though

2j will go in just as easily as the 1j
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what would be the cost comparison though of the two.....
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
73ke25 wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 19:30

what would be the cost comparison though of the two.....

add around 3k for 2jz I beleive
half cut price difference
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so what would be needed exactly for the 2jz into a z20 soarer ? rough cost of each price ? as i may be looking to do the 1j in about january.... depending how much more the 2j is id rather go for that.

i thought there would be alot more modification needed for the 2j , cause you can just take the jza70 crossmember and engine with the gearbox and box crossmember.....
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
73ke25 wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 22:51

Ok so what would be needed exactly for the 2jz into a z20 soarer ? rough cost of each price ? as i may be looking to do the 1j in about january.... depending how much more the 2j is id rather go for that.

i thought there would be alot more modification needed for the 2j , cause you can just take the jza70 crossmember and engine with the gearbox and box crossmember.....

The difficulty of mounting the 2JZ is no different to mounting the 1JZ, the cost difference comes from the purchase price of the hardware. 2JZ generally costing about twice what a 1JZ does, and then if you want V160 gearbox over R154 (or even W58) and flywheels, clutches etc etc...

*shrug*

To put a JZ engine into a Z20 soarer, you need... If its pre 89.5, a post 89.5 x-member, JZA70 engine mounts, and the associated engine, box, wiring, turbos, ancillaries etc, and somebody to wire it up. Post 89.5, then obviously everything above less the x-member.

Always a wise idea to upgrade radiator and intercooler to something seriously aftermarket too, as apparently these engines run quite hot, and it always helps to do this things once, do them right... then later you can just go single turbo, more fuel, and you're set.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 04:10

ive decided to grab that

Ahhhhh just seen your post , both of us bidding against each other on yahoo auctions Shocked Shocked 3 days to go
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 23:56

teejay wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 04:10

ive decided to grab that

Ahhhhh just seen your post , both of us bidding against each other on yahoo auctions Shocked Shocked 3 days to go

Fight!!! I don't care who wins, as long as there a pics of this MZ-2J conversion i'm a happy puddle of drool

Dan
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, just looked at the car on yahoo.... lovely condition!
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that soarer on yahoo is so nice , would be keen to buy it off you as is .. for more than you pay for it
Smile definately one of the nicest ive seen
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
i am in the processes of buyin a na gz20 soarer(1ggeu!!!) for a very cheap price with plans to put in a 1jz, everything i read here is encouraging except wiring, can someone explain what needs to be done in terms of wiring, can you just use the 1jz loom and ecu and plug it into the rest of the gz20 loom?
also what brakes can bolt onto the soarer as a cheap budget upgrade?
also are there any other toyota radiators that are bigger and can bolt in?
just want to know how much of this job is diy.
thanks guys, have being a nissan person for a long time, and now trying a new change Smiley =
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 25 November 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hijack a little-jza70 crossmember complete disc to disc to suit above mentioned conversion available in brisbane with correct 1j sump. peterwj@tpg.com.au[/email]

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2004 15:33]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Fri, 26 November 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW. put a 1j in from a jza70 manual half cut.. half cut is 4k(instead of a manual 2jz cut which is like Cool .. it all bolts straight in...
will need things like exhaust and cooler and cooler pipinh
spend the extra 4K on a big mother turbo
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sat, 27 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car is being shipped on monday, it is an MZ20 Soarer with the 1JZGTE, now I live in Bunbury so if you wanted to check it out the coversion you can. It will take about a week to get here though.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sat, 27 November 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys/Girls...

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread...

But is swapping the MA70 Supra 7M-GE for a 2JZ-GTE as easy as swapping the MZ21 Soarer for one?

Because I have been told some cutting is needed...

Also, isn't the cross member welded to the chassis or is it bolted on?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sat, 27 November 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a post-89 Supra, it bolts right in. If you have a pre-89 Supra, get a post-89 crossmember and swap it in. The crossmember is bolted in, not welded.

No cutting is required; this is a common misconception because LHD Supras have a different shaped firewall (the bulge for the heater box fouls the rear turbo), but it's not an issue on RHD Supras.

Have a chat to Stenno, he put a 2JZ-GTE in his MA71 a while ago.
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Sat, 27 November 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK!
i got a mz20.. build 4/90, second last batch. what have u
hmmmmm
why uppgrade to the 2jzgte, aren't u happy with the 7mgte , i think this engines great, if u know what to do to stop it from fucking itself,

you'll probably end up replacing the stock tiny turbo's on the 2j conversion anyway, and the rest, is it worth it?

sure they can beat skylines, i fog them all the time, there like nothing to it and its auto , manual ones are so hard to find, i saw one on a japanese auction the other day for $10000 if currenecy converted, thats even before it leaves the car yard.

so.. if ur just gonna use it as a daily driver, why do it.

plus, mines like the last series of them.. built between 86 and 91 there for 3 series.. the others are rat shit compared to the last.

mz21 isnt a different car, its just got air bag suspension and other stuff, its a mz20 - limited

three different types of pearl, elegant toning, ivory , and leaf .

i saw someones said theres has gold pearl, no its elegant toning a sparkly beige Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 24 November 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok one year ago...whoops

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 01:24]

Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 24 November 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 12:24

ok one year ago...whoops

haha... tard!

Dan
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 24 November 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ok one year ago...whoops

you bastard. It was November 2004 and I didn't even read the year. So has Teejay done this yet?
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Thu, 24 November 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhemm, but i think the conversion was from a 7M-GE to 2JZ-GTE not from a 7M-GTE.

Just a bit of a difference. If you wanted to take a naturally aspirated 7M that could be as old as 86 and make it equal to or better than a 4/90 factory 7M-GTE both in terms of performance and reliability -
Quote:

what to do to stop it from fucking itself,
, how much would you budget?

Still not as much as the conversion i know, but lets face it, the 2J is the successor of the 7M, and if you did the conversion you would still have a 7M sitting on your bench to do whatever the fuck you please with...
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer Fri, 25 November 2005 05:14 Go to previous message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 09:33

ok one year ago...whoops

you bastard. It was November 2004 and I didn't even read the year. So has Teejay done this yet?

Nah TJ has settled for a 1JZ/Cressida combo , and i've since found a jza70. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What the hell is this??
Next Topic:Fuel Pressures and Injectors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:06:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067408084869385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.