Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 07:23 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

The place that doing the conversion is having problems getting the motor started.

The have used the 20v loom, ecu, igniter and afm & air box and they are getting power to the dash, pulse to the injectors, can crank it but aren't getting any spark or able to start the motor.

Any ideas??????

HELP FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE PERFORMED THE ABOVE CONVERSION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to a good workshop?
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any worthwhile advice???????
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anybody?

I like the have the car back by Friday for SCS cruise!
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that is worthwhile advice. take the car to a competent workshop because who know what they have done witht the rest of the conversion Rolling Eyes
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why, is it surposed to be that easy of a conversion??

They have done everything in less than a week so far with no problems until now. These guys are a tuning shop for Race cars and the like. They race two super sedans and have two drag cars themselves.
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pugs wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 18:01

They have done everything in less than a week so far with no problems until now. These guys are a tuning shop for Race cars and the like. They race two super sedans and have two drag cars themselves.

This does not imply that they know how to interchange toyota engines, or tune them. Did you ask for their credentials? Like if they know much about the 4A's and have done lots of work on them?

I'm with shiny and hokey. Go to a good workshop. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't just take the car to another workshop, as they have done all the work so far and are almost finished! Once they find the problem, it's done and onto tuning the car!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by "all of the work so far" do you mean the physical install of the engine? because that should have taken about an afternoon to finish.

a conversion like this is really simple, i consider a 4AC to 4AGE conversion to be one of the easiest conversions you could hope for, and that requires converting everything to support EFI.

tell them to get a decent auto electrician to have a look at it, one who has had experience with 4AGEs, but even that shouldnt be necassary, they are a very straightforward engine.\

good luck with it, "not getting spark" is a fairly fundamental problem and should be very easy to diagnose.
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really appreciated the advice guys, I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. These guys have worked on my Rolla for years and I've never had a problem with them at all.

You sound like you know what your talking about. Any ideas on why it's not getting any spark?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Tue, 22 November 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are about 50 things to check with it "getting no spark"

many of them are SOLELY dependant on the wiring they have done. Without knowing this fundamental requirement, no one can really answer your question.

Realistically, they SHOULD KNOW HOW TO FIND THE PROBLEM.... if they are indeed a compentant workshop.

in my experience, every the "most experienced" workshops still have no idea what the hell they are doing, and even if they do they cut corners like it's going out of fashion.
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank fu*k for that!!!!

They have finally got it started and are currently putting the rest of the bits back in the engine bay and will be tuning it tomorrow!!!

It was the igniter wiring that was causing the problem, stupid thing.

Hope I'll be able to go on the SCS cruise on Friday night.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 06:16]

Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 20v has an electronic wire or something that runs from the gearbox to the speedo. The speedo in my car is mechanical. How do you get around that?
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My guess is to swap your mechanical speedo sender onto the 20v's gearbox?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your guess would be correct.

Dont forget to make sure that your "mechanic" wires up the "SPD" pin on the 20V ecu... else you will have a 7200rpm limit instead of the 8200rpm limit. Being an SX, this wire is already there from the original 4age ecu - PURPLE with WHITE stripe.
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys, how are the revs limited in a car like this? Does it cut spark or what?
corolla madness
Regular

January 2003
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Otherwise you will have to take the dash out and connect the purple and white wire up lucky you have an SX though i had to source the dash and mysterious 12 pin plug what a nightmare.
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've used a 20v ecu, so should this purple and white wire still be there?

Is it a power or earth wire?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dear lord..... you have no hope.....

The wiring diagrams have it all covered.
Yes the 20V ecu + loom has this wire
No it is most certainly not a power or earth wire - it's a 4 pulse per revolution speed signal to the ECU, that your SX speedo generates and sends to the ECU.

Since your old 4age 16v ecu had the same SPD input, then the wire is already there from your dash loom... you just have to splice that wire into your 20V body plug of the ecu (the 12pin plug)
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need Urgent Help with AE93 SX Seca Conversion From 4AGE 100KW To 20 Valve Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 09:08 Go to previous message
Well it's finally finished.

That's why I had it done by professionals, because I don't have much of an idea. Most of the questions I asked were for my benefit, not there's.

I managed to get 110.9 Hp atw, which isn't too bad.
It's looks and goes great and it has a very smooth power delivery.

Will hopefully take it down the strip soon.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What the hell is this??
Next Topic:fuel pump and regulator for a st162
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:05:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005540132522583 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.