Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Fuel Pressures and Injectors Tue, 22 November 2005 05:11 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the stock fuel pressures are for a 2jz-gte, along with stock pump flow rates as well is the fuel pressure regulator. Ill take a stab, and guess most of the 2jz in the country are JDM, thus being 440cc???

Reason for all this, is that I'm currently researching to try and get the best pump/injector/regulator combo for my upgrade.

Thinking of going around 660cc or 720cc's, with a Bosch 044 pump.
Talking to people at work, they seem to think only 1 pump will be necessary for 720cc injectors.
The 044 supplying 5bar, with 200l/h flow, i guess will need to be regulated to 3 or 4 bar, which increases the flow somewhat.
All of Bosch's injector rating are in g/min with a specified operating pressure. So thus, I need to convert this to a cc flow rate. Any idea on how to do this?

And thus, knowing the stock fuel pressure from the pump, and regulator flow, can decide what needs to be purchased. ill assume the fuel rail wont need to be upgraded???

So yeah, if anyone can make sense of my rambling any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 22:25]

Send a private message to this user    
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any ideas???? anyone??? Rolling Eyes
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 gallon/min = 3785.412 cm^3/min
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, slight problem, injectors are gram per min.
not gallon/min
sorry Embarassed

so whats the standard weight of 98ron??
ill assume thats what they want???

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.wolfems.com.au/support/injectorflow
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool.

shame that site doesnt have any of the bosch motorsport injectors.... oh well...

doing some short calcualtions,

Accoriding to here,

Petrol at 60 F is 737.22 kg/cu.m
Thus, at 4C, it equated to .737 g/mL
Working that, it eqautes that 1gm of Petrol results in 1.36mL

So, if an injector say is rated at 185 g/min, it would parse 251.6ml /min or 15.096l/hr.
The injector then, would be rated at 251cc's, correct?
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Wed, 23 November 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alrighty.

thanks to norbs found out that the stock fuel pressure regulator is set to about 32psi,which is about 2.45bar.

also calculated 660cc injectors are what im after.

only 'slight' issue im still converned about, is that the injectors are rated@ 660cc, so at full rate, they will inject a total of 3960cc's of petrol, which equates to ~237L/hr.

Fuel pump delivers only 200l/hr. But, since the fuel pump is 200L/hr @ 5bar, where as the injectors inject 237
L/hr at 2.7bar, im guessing as the pump is pumping at higher pressure, the pressure ofset increases the flow rate? or will i see a loss in fuel pressure??? and thus require a secondary fuel pump??

UPDATE

talking to some fuel guys, it seems that flow rates have to be met. which means either, getting 2 pumps to make up the loss, or getting a single pump that can supply the desired rate. So off to make some phone calls to see what i can find. Ive been told to look at supercharged VS commo pumps and injectors.
Keep you updated

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 23:15]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2JZ Fuel Pressures/ g.min to cc conversion Thu, 24 November 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the injectors rated at 100% duty or 80% duty?
what rail pressure are they rated at?

typical rail pressures are around 40psi.. a nice figure rounded to work from..

what a fuel pump CAN do, and what it does do depends on the pressure regulator.
the regulator controls the pressure the pump is putting out by resistance. so if your reg is set to 2.7bar, the pump puts out 2.7bar. at lower than 5bar, it will flow more. the flow graphs should be easily available for the 044

what boost will you run?

assuming you run 1.5bar, and rail pressure is 2.7, then total rail pressuire is 4.2.. so what does the 044 pump at 4.2bar?

what about 2 walbro pumps, they can be had cheaply and there are high pressure versions (check the flow graphs first)...
they are about 220L/hr at 2.7bar, but maybe 150L at 60-70psi
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldnt expect you are never gonna get 100% duty cycle out of your fuel injectors...

And as has been said check the pump maps coz pressure vs flow is never linear.

The rating is usually the flow acheived at max reccommended pressure. Going over 5 bar would probably result in a radpid flow drop off, conversly dropping the operating pressure could increase flow a lot more than you might expect.

Corollas, unless you have a RRFPR how does boost affect the pressure of the system? I guess the 2J has one stock? How did you calculate 4.2 bar or did you get this figure from spec on the factory FPR?
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok...

i can see 1.5 + 2.7 = 4.2

How is this operating fuel pressure?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 16:21

ok...

i can see 1.5 + 2.7 = 4.2

How is this operating fuel pressure?

rail pressure plus boost pressure.
what a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator does for it's living Wink

ie zif you would go to this effort if you weren't going to be running about 20 psi boost.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 06:15]

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand the principal of RRFPR's but i didnt beleive that the manner in which they regulate system pressure was as straightforward as;

FP = factory setting + boost

Furthermore, what FPR does a factory 2JZ-GTE have? Norbie has obviously told Viper that it is about 32psi. If it was a RR variety I wouldnt expect Norbie would ommit this detail? So although im interested in how you have derived this rule, i dont see that it applies does it?

Just an idea, but you could buy/make a simple transformer that will step up the voltage supply to the Bosch a lil bit. You would just get more go out of what you have...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 16:19

Corollas, unless you have a RRFPR how does boost affect the pressure of the system? I guess the 2J has one stock? How did you calculate 4.2 bar or did you get this figure from spec on the factory FPR?

normal pressure reference fuel pressure regulators will increase fuel pressure as a 1:1 ratio of the reference pressure.

rising rate fuel pressure regulators are called that because the rate at which the fuel pressure increases is greater than the boost reference pressure, ie 1.5:1, 2:1 etc.

a RRFPR increases fuel faster, and you run into fuel pump problems sooner. since injectors are designed for a certain range of pressure, you should keep the pressure differential across them close to their design.

a higher differential, as with RRFPR, gives higher flow for same PW.. to a point.. and the only time they are warranted is when you are trying to richen the fuel curve of a stock setup using stock ECU which has MAP sensor, after you decrease intake flow path resistance....

or so i think Wink.... in all other situations, you are better off using a 1:1 FPR so that you always have the same pressure differential across the injector, and then you have a better idea of what a given increase in PW will do to fuel flow..

maybe Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and as far as i know, most stock FPR's as 1:1 ratio. there is no need for a rising rate regualtor when you have the option of changing the tuning by programmable means.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.mcbrooms.com/volvo/injcalcs/injcalcs.ht m

and from http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/editors/technoba bble/0104scc_technobabble/

Quote:

Whenever a tuner wants to turbocharge or supercharge an engine, it has to figure out how to get enough extra fuel into the engine to meet with the extra air. By far the most common solution, is to simply add a second fuel pressure regulator. The stock regulator works at a 1:1 ratio, increasing fuel pressure by one psi for every psi of manifold pressure. These extra rising rate fuel pressure regulators increase fuel pressure by three, four, or five psi for every psi of boost above atmospheric pressure

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 07:00]

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 17:53

oh, and as far as i know, most stock FPR's as 1:1 ratio. there is no need for a rising rate regualtor when you have the option of changing the tuning by programmable means.

This makes very good sense. You are a wealth of knowledge.
Excuse my ignorance, i still have much to learn but i aint the kinda person you need to tell shit to twice.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meaning, i appreciate the education and its not wasted finger movement. Thanx
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 18:00

Meaning, i appreciate the education and its not wasted finger movement. Thanx

Very Happy heh heh
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm.... interesting...

ill get the 044 flow rates from work tomorrow.
see what it sais..

as for the injectors... most of the ones ive been looking at operate at around 2.7-3psi (optimum), well short of the 5bar.

ill post up the graph tomorrow.

thanks for all the regulator info. ill just go with the stock one, privided the injectors like running on 32psi. worst comes to worst, buy a new one Razz

arg... so much shit... bloody hell! Rolling Eyes

modding the 044 would be interesting... im sure its been done...
ba, ill see what i can find 2morrow

also ring around for walbro pumps... and maybe a pair of smaller bosch ones Very Happy
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Thu, 24 November 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
right, bit of google'ing and i came up with this

http://www.mantissaconsulting.com/etc/Mantissa_Racing/RX7/RX7_images/bosch_044.jpg

the graph is abit iffy to read, but yeah... flow rate does change quite abit. at say,3 bar, it flows almost 300l/hr

and using another fuel pump calculator , an 044 pump should be enough to cover what im after. and if not, well ill just run another pump, or overvolt it.

hope this helps other out there who were as confused as i was at the beggining of all this.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Fri, 25 November 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah...

overvolt it anyway. There's always current to spare...

It'll be fun.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Fri, 25 November 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah, yeah.

ive decided to go for 2 fuel pumps instead.
instead of the 044 (5bar @ 200l/hr), im gona get 2x 910 (5bar @ 130l/hr)

that way i still get the 5 bar, but at 260l/hr or so flow.
tiny bit cheaper aswell getting 2 pumps, and added security if one fails, i can limp home. extra hassle with piping, but seeing as i intend on runnign new pipes, no biggie Razz
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Fuel Pressures and Injectors Fri, 25 November 2005 04:00 Go to previous message
Cool,

I would probably try to put a checkvalve in the fuel line after each pump, but before you tee them together. That way if one does fail, the other will still fuel the system (limp mode), not just pump back into your tank through the other rooted pump (broken down mode)...

Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2jz GTE into Mz20 Soarer
Next Topic:Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:14:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057311058044434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.