Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 09:56 Go to next message
Hi yall I posted while back bout getting a supra, after lots and lots of reading these forums, Im thinking I want a JDM celica XX, NOT an Aus delivered celica supra. How much am I looking at? Either Importing one or buying one thats allready been imported? I have searched the forums for this and cant find much.

The reason Im want an XX is because it takes the hassle of buying a celica supra, then dropping in a differnt engine..

Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats so special about an xx engine?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 21:10

whats so special about an xx engine?

It has 2 cams.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Aus version had low powered 5M-E and nothing else.
The XX has a range of differnt higher powered engines stock. 5M-GE, 1G-GEU, and a few more..
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andyroo wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 21:33

The XX has a range of differnt higher powered engines stock. 5M-GE, 1G-GEU, and a few more..

Laughing

You will only end up pulling all of those engines out anyway.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe, but if you cant awnser the question stop replying
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 21:44

andyroo wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 21:33

Laughing

You will only end up pulling all of those engines out anyway.

The man speaks the truith. Razz

Just get a 7M-GTE or something for it.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was merely offer an alternative to what i beleive is a silly process that you are about to undertake.

- 95% of *A61's are rusting, probably in the tailgate.
- Bugger all have good paint
- 50% of them have been in an accident and repaired.

Although the 5ME is completely un-inspiring, only the 5m-ge would be a better engine.

However, you are now ruling out the majority of a61's for sale by saying you want one with a 5mge.

Find one with a top condition, rust and accident free body with good paint, then work on the engine after that.

You will regret every moment of your A61 experience if you buy a shit tin body with 'good' engine, that leaks when it rains, has a busted heater core, gets wet seatbelts, has shagged rear control arm bushes and doesnt have flares!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^
He speaks the truth, and after putting a 2JZ in a MA61 and hanging out with JAZE too much he definately knows....
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say good on you for wanting something rare and interesting! Smile

Some digging on Yahoo Japan auctions should give you an idea of prices and availability in Japan. See Stepho's excellent site for some hints on browsing Japanese sites:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/ja pan.htm

Any number of importers should be able to help you bring in a car. I've never had a car imported (yet!). But John from Importbitz sponsors this Forum and has been very helpful with my questions on buying off Yahoo and importing.

Cheers,
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok

I really want a 85 supra.Im a student. The 5ME has 100kws? ish my celica has 87! I cant stand how slow it is. I can only afford to either buy an Aus supra and be stuck with 13 more kws and less fuel econemy, or a Celica XX 5M-GE which would be all the power I need.

So you were saying both GA61 and MA61 are full of rust? I dont get your point..

I just want to know the rough price of a JDM either by importing it or buying one thats already been imported..
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bnicho wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 22:26

Some digging on Yahoo Japan auctions should give you an idea of prices and availability in Japan. See Stepho's excellent site for some hints on browsing Japanese sites:

Any number of importers should be able to help you bring in a car. I've never had a car imported (yet!). But John from Importbitz sponsors this Forum and has been very helpful with my questions on buying off Yahoo and importing.

Cheers,

Thanks man for some FINALLY helpful info, no offence to anyone with good intentions...
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bnicho wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 22:26

Cheers,

Thanks man for some FINALLY helpful info, no offence to anyone with good intentions...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry dude, but you seem to be missing the whole point of what he's trying to say.
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 19:15

Find one with a top condition, rust and accident free body with good paint, then work on the engine after that.

You will regret every moment of your A61 experience if you buy a shit tin body with 'good' engine, that leaks when it rains, has a busted heater core, gets wet seatbelts, has shagged rear control arm bushes and doesnt have flares!

Read that, read it again, and take it in.

You won't find anything closer to the truth.

If you want a long lasting xA61 experience, get the one with the best body and keep it for a long time.

If you want a cheap car with more power, don't get a Supra, get something completely different.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn straight. The only reason you'd buy a Supra/Celica XX is to swap in a better engine. If my Supra still had a stock 5M-E, or even a 5M-GE, I would have sold it long ago. Then again if I didn't have every intention of doing an engine conversion I wouldn't have bought one in the first place!

Oh and I once owned a Supra with a 5M-GE. They're a step up from the 5M-E but still pretty slow, so don't get your hopes up.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want something with more power go get an older magna. 2.6ltr engine. my celica was dyno'd the other day (i think) and my old gen1 3s-ge is chuggin out 100HP roughly
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Celica XX. Yes, every one of them is marginally faster than an Aus-delivered model (yes, even my 1GEU was faster than a 5ME). Listen to what BlackSupra was saying, he speaketh the truth.

Pick one with the best body you can afford. The other XX engines are better for sure, but no way near powerful enough for me to want to put up with a shit body.

Seriously, people on this thread all know from experience, and past mistakes.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 24 November 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/RA65/R A65RUST/

Take a good look at that Andy roo , thats what you'll have to put up with if you dont find a good body.

Took me about 1 - 2 months to fix the shit of a hatch , i had to actually BUY ANOTHER ONE because the rust was that bad. and even THAT ONE had RUST on it. only minor , but still ...

listen to the boys Andy Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In simple english...

Every 1980's A61 from japan will more than likely be full of RUST.

Inspect the local market here first.

It will cost you $3000 to import one anyway so i have no idea why you are even contemplating this as an option.

Look locally and you may find a body that is almost rust free, such as my old bitch:

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/suprahires.jpg

All i was trying to do, was to tell you to look locally for a mint body and forget importing. I have owned 2 MA61's and know all about their finer points as do other people posting above.

Perhaps taking the advice of those who have been there and done that before would be a wise move (esp crUZsida who chopped one in half because it had the right motor but TOO MUCH RUST!)
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah im wif teh massif dong.

my A61 i bought for $1700 and got rid of for the same amount with 300,000 on the clock and it HAD a 5MGE already. there are a SHITLOAD of aus delivered A61's with 5MGE's already dropped into them.. theyre not that hard to find. least here you can check them out beforehand. jap ones will definitely be rusted right up the batty crease.

remember with australian ones that the wankers who bought them in 1983 were probably real estate agents and/or amway reps or travelling salespeople of some sort so they were really your 'dont know a lot about performance cars' type that just seemed to think that the supra was an elite yuppymobile at the time. and remember that wankers like that ALWAYS buy the option pack at the dealers like the rust-proofing, undercoating..etc..etc.. so youre more likely to pick up a rust free aussie specimen simply because of that.

and remember. its all about teh flares. if you dont get them now youll want them later!

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yes you need flares!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a recently painted, clean, rust free 61 thats for sale. With 7MGE etc.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe, but if you cant awnser the question stop replying

Sorry dude, its sounded harsh, but my main question was just the price, I wasnt interested in any other supra info, but I guess I asked for it...it totally makes sense what you were all saying, especially black supra, and yes I did misunderstand him, I diddnt realise most Jap cars were rusted out. Im back to looking for a Aus supra now, I guess I can live with the 5ME or GE as long as its a manual! Wink

Andy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its just the Supra shape you want, then go look at every one you see advertised. Regardless of if its Aus or Jap.
My Jap one had VERY little rust in the hatch, but HEAPS of rust in the lower rear quarters.

Engine choice is irrelavant if you want to do an engine swap in the next year or so. If thats not a plan of yours, go test drive a couple of 5M-E powered ones, and decide if you'll be happy with that power.

If its a car you think you'll want to keep for quite a few years, then honestly, buy the one with the best body.
A motor can be replaced for next to nothing, gearboxes are cheap as chips.
Body's are expensive to replace/repair.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look on goonet, that has actual prices of japanese cars that are for sale, not the bullshit prices importers put on their websites Rolling Eyes

so 3K plus say.. around 6-10K for a GOOD example from japan.

how much would it be worth to you?

good cars in japan hold their value. there are KE10's and KE20's around 15K for that reason.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I understand what your all saying, I am not going to import a celica, just gunna start a searchin' for one without rust. This is strange about MA61's rusting out, My old 82 RA60 has almost no rust anywhere..it was even first registered in Syd and spent a while there, then rest of life out here in the middle of NSW..Very hot, VERY dry. Some of the patches are spreading though, its currently parked under old tin roof carport, leaks when rains, thinking this might not be good for it...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 25 November 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. So you find your Celica XX on Goonet or Yahoo Auctions for 5-8000. Given that it is about 8000km away from you, how can you tell it isn't full of rust?

Find a good example here for the cost of importing one. You can inspect it (or have someone competent take a look for you). Nothing beats touching and feeling the car yourself.

We could understand your position if you were looking for a ridiculously rare car like a Corona hardtop or a 2 door 60's Crown, but for a garden ordinary Supra/Celica XX/whatever, it makes no sense.

Here are some examples on Goonet just to get you thinking.
http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/used/spread_n _w.cgi?goo_car_id=0100051202A4003037010&areacd =12&baitai=goo&flag=&lang= Roughly $5000.
http://www.goo-net.com/cgi-bin/goojp/used/spread_n _w.cgi?0200051201P4000686016+19+goo+

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Sat, 26 November 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 00:39

good cars in japan hold their value. there are KE10's and KE20's around 15K for that reason.

Yeah, and that's a bummer 'cos I want a TA27 and a TE27. I don't think a good condition of either of those would be cheap.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Sat, 26 November 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 21:59

Hi,

oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 00:39

Yeah, and that's a bummer 'cos I want a TA27 and a TE27. I don't think a good condition of either of those would be cheap.

seeyuzz
river

Yeah, exactly why I don't have the ridiculously rare Corona Hardtop Gianttomato was referring to... yet!
Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Tue, 06 December 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andyroo

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CELICA-XX-SUPRA-2-85L-GT-EF I_W0QQitemZ4595459642QQcategoryZ18286QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

hows that?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Tue, 06 December 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Points at the car and says...

It's a 1983 Japanese Import (with no front bumper wrap around indicators) with no flares Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 20:58

It's a 1983 Japanese Import (with no front bumper wrap around indicators) with no flares Sad

There is nothing wrong with that, provided the mirrors on the guards are gone Smile
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AWESOME!

Im thinking of buying it, location sucks...brisbane is a way from here... Who needs flares? Theyr an adon to try and trick forign customers into thinking its not a celica, but in fact, a "celica SUPRA" which is better......apparently.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOU need flairs, that's who. They look awesome. Car totaly sucks without them and loses a lot of it's charm.

And just so you know, a MA61 with 5M-GE is slow and crap.

Get something else. They're a good base for an upgrade, but aren't that great a car stock (not anymore anyway). And if anyone wants to argue, you can shut up and die.

Okay, I'm sick of you now. Stop ignoring the advice of people far more wise than you!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree, the supra variant shits on the celica XX looks wise, but thats my opinion, and they both aim for different looks- jcmf's celica xx has a clean, edgy and more modern look to it- whereas the ma61s look tough and more of an old-school look... i reckon... im tired and talking shit.

good on ya for wanting something different, but be aware, your chances are slim if the ebay one is a shitter.

the only 5mge supra i went in (with 7mge extractors and 2.5" exhaust) went very surprisingly. it was quite impressive, to say the least. shit over the 5me 10 times. Very Happy

good luck! i saw the XX and thought... bingo!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka, the MA61 with manual and 5mge is quite a spirited machine.
The MA61 with auto and 5me is a piece of shit.

Its chalk and cheese here.

An MA61 with manual and a healthy 5MGE would be faster than your Honda.

The MA61 without flares still looks tough. The MA61 with flares moves from the tough range, into the butch range. Especially with stock rims and tyres with white writing.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 13:58]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 00:58

The MA61 with flares moves from the tough range, into the butch range. Especially with stock rims and tyres with white writing.

Laughing

you saying my old car was butch?! Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: importing or buying a celica XX Wed, 07 December 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 20:12

YOU need flairs, that's who. They look awesome. Car totaly sucks without them and loses a lot of it's charm.

I totally disagree, it has a different charm for sure, the guards are still more flared than a Celica. It just looks more "integrated" than "add on".
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 08 December 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Awww... don't say that? You'll start a shitfight. Teh Hondah can nevah loose!!11oneone
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 08 December 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

LOL. You're funny.

With a good healthy 5M-GE, it might be a pretty even matchup. But lets not go crazy and call an MA61 faster. A tired 5M-GE MA61 is soundly beaten by me.
Also, keep in mind my DC2 is in very good condition and provides some pretty good power. So don't think of your run of the mill 140,000+km DC2s that have had a bad life driven by idiots who dunno what they're doing.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 08 December 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon my soon to be 7mge MA61 will take ya Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 08 December 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a pointless argument. Both the 5M-GE Supra and the Honda are SLOW.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Thu, 08 December 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 17:09

This is a pointless argument. Both the 5M-GE Supra and the Honda are SLOW.

LOL. You're also funny.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The MA61 with auto and 5me is a piece of shit.

Its chalk and cheese here.

An MA61 with manual and a healthy 5MGE would be faster than your Honda...

I totally agree with CrUZsida and his comment about an Auto 5ME MA61. I spent a bucket load on my car and still goes like crap. Might be the reason why it's still straight and clean... It's not fast enough to get me into trouble Razz

Riding in a 5ME & 5MGE Manual MA61 craps over the auto Sad

Cheers.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 16:29

and my boeing 747 will take you?

whats the point?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 15:12

whats the point?

honda boy shouldn't be posting in this thread Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 14:43

MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 15:12

whats the point?

honda boy shouldn't be posting in this thread Wink

neither should you...but you still did
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a vested interest in the subject well as of tomorrow I will anyway Evil or Very Mad
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Fri, 09 December 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 23:12

The flares on the MK2 supra is a matter of PERSONAL oppinion.

And just so you know, a MA61 with 5M-GE is slow and crap.

And just so YOU know, Hondas are for little girly men.

Get something else. They're a good base for an upgrade, but aren't that great a car stock (not anymore anyway). And if anyone wants to argue, you can shut up and die.

Okay, I'm sick of you now. Stop ignoring the advice of people far more wise than you!

Well forgive me if i dont believe everything I read, who knows, it could have been written by you.

Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Mon, 12 December 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok people, I own a 5me 5spd ma61 and a 95 Honda accord vtis 2.2 vtec auto,(I know its not an integra) they are the same speed, but the Supra craps all over the accord for fun.

The 5me is better than many people think, yes its crap for a performance engine but can be alot of fun regardless, heaps of instant torque to play with.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: importing or buying a celica XX Mon, 12 December 2005 12:13 Go to previous message
Enchanter wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 21:05

ok people, I own a 5me 5spd ma61 and a 95 Honda accord vtis 2.2 vtec auto,(I know its not an integra) they are the same speed, but the Supra craps all over the accord for fun.

The 5me is better than many people think, yes its crap for a performance engine but can be alot of fun regardless, heaps of instant torque to play with.

... The Accord is auto, ofcourse it's gonna be boring. Also, saying the Accord is anything like the Integra is like saying a Camry is like a Celica ST182.

Anyway, my point is the MA61 is awesome. But the engine isn't. Find a good shell, put something good in it and have a blast.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 owners anonymous
Next Topic:anyone in perth got some decent powered 7ms
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:52:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075221061706543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.