Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Turboing a 20v Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 10:13 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

What's involved in turboing a 20v Silver Top, How much does it cost being done by a performance shop and how much boost could you run?

What sort of 1/4 mile times could you expect?

Cheers
Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turboing a 20V is a much bigger job than gze --> gte, read: Expensive. Depending on what boost you plan to run, you'd have to get forged internals etc, and a hybrid turbo made up. Average price is around the $13000 mark

There are a fair few 20V turbo's going around with at least 250fwkw. 1/4 mile depends on many things tho including traction, skill etc etc. You'd be getting massive amounts of wheelspin through every gear Razz

Planning to do this in the mid-long term future plans (about 2 years). When the 4ac reaches 1xxxxxkm or breaks down. Currently at 63000km Surprised . Have budgeted approx $15-16K on the engine Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 10:30]

corolla madness
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$13000 please really that much i expect at least 13's or maybe 12's for that price. If it will cost that much don't bother. You could buy a turbo 20v car for that price. If not you could find a turbo GZE for that price.
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could probably source a 4agze for 2000 and have it in for another 2000. Laughing
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Thu, 24 November 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine basically cost this;
donor 20v - free($800 if buy)
rods - $1600
pistons - $900
bearings/machining etc - $500
turbo charger - $1350
exhaust manifold(HKS) - $500
intake plenum - free(couple $100 if buy)
injectors - $300
intercooler - $1000
so about $6150 not including computer, flywheel, clutch etc. I did all rebuilf etc myself, so if you had to pay someone to do it add some $$$$'s.
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Fri, 25 November 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 12579
SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Sat, 26 November 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 21:28

Turboing a 20V is a much bigger job than gze --> gte, read: Expensive. Depending on what boost you plan to run, you'd have to get forged internals etc, and a hybrid turbo made up. Average price is around the $13000 mark

There are a fair few 20V turbo's going around with at least 250fwkw. 1/4 mile depends on many things tho including traction, skill etc etc. You'd be getting massive amounts of wheelspin through every gear Razz

Planning to do this in the mid-long term future plans (about 2 years). When the 4ac reaches 1xxxxxkm or breaks down. Currently at 63000km Surprised . Have budgeted approx $15-16K on the engine Very Happy

you only need new pistons if you want to run more than 7psi boost. rods and crank are same as the GZE. why bother with a hybrid turdo when you can use the same turdos that are made for sr20's and other 2L engines. my preference would be a trust T517z. my engines fine with the SC12 on a standard 20V bottom end and a metal headgasket.

cheers
daniel
enki
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Sat, 26 November 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
13grand?!?!?!?! U should give him a gurantee of 12s with street tyres for that price sure 13 if its gonna be a bulletproof motor but 8psi max throught the stock motor i think is wat he is after and is easily both safe and achievable, all up u shouldnt spend more than $6000 for everything running. screw opening the motor the bottom end is strong enough the only thing bad is conpression so dont run more than 8psi and there u go a turbo 20v. Talk to sr20 trueno he sounds like he knows wat he is talkin about. At the end of the day it comes down to tuning.
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Sun, 27 November 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$6,000 is more like it!

I think what Enki and Sr20 Trueno are saying is much closer to the mark and I won't go above 8 psi, it's going to be a nightmare getting traction with that amount of boost as it is!
enki
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Mon, 28 November 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats the one u will get about 120kw at the fronts and its more than enough with the kind of rev the 20v produces. with the 11 compression of the 20v u will have instant boost aswell. just dont go over board with the turbo but i think a td04l off a rex will be very suitable for the amount of boost. Do some research on the size of turbo u go. Use the search engine on this site.
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Mon, 28 November 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of 1/4 mile times should I expect with that sort of set up?
enki
Regular

August 2002
Re: Turboing a 20v Silver Top Mon, 28 November 2005 13:16 Go to previous message
well seen as how everyone has abandant your thread ill try and best answer this question with extremely minimal knowledge on this side of rolla(im more familiars with other cars) U can never know for sure but a low 14 maybe high 13 could be achieved depending on the tune and set up of the turbo boost(by this i mean get yourself a good boost controler- its alot of money for little boost but a steady power graph is a fwd's best friend on the street)and a good clean launch. Not many people are gonna even attemp to answer this question and as the rest would say it comes down to the driver. Good luck with it.
Cheers, Nick.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What gearbox is this?
Next Topic:4AGE round plug, and square plug TPS?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:29:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055460929870605 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.