Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)! Thu, 24 November 2005 12:07 Go to next message
Hey lads,

Trying to nut out the source of my cars constant petrol smell, bit sick of smelling like petrol wherever i go Wink

First think i did was remove the tank, no dramas there. Then i followed the line to find this bizarre loop that goes up into the pillar next to the rear window, and straight back down to the tank, from what appears to be the return line from the motor. Any suggestions as to why this is? More importantly its not leaking, but just curious...

So, i look at the other end of the lines in the engine bay. One goes to my webers, as expected. The other, well, it goes into the passenger side chassis rail, and appears to go nowhere? I pulled it out, it didn't seem to be connected to anything on the inside. I blew through it from the boot and lo and behold, out comes some petrol.

http://www.28268.com/05sydmotorshow/rolla_worklog/petrol_dramas/fuel_line_rear.jpg
http://www.28268.com/05sydmotorshow/rolla_worklog/petrol_dramas/fuel_line_loop.jpg

What the hell is this line for? All it seems to be doing is leaking into my chassis rail, and not much else. It doesn't look like its been tampered with. Is this line present in a stock ke20/25, and what is it supposed to do?

http://www.28268.com/05sydmotorshow/rolla_worklog/petrol_dramas/fuel_line_bay9.jpg

For the record, the car is a ke20, stock fuel tank, electric fuel pump running to twin webers on a 2tg.

Few pics up here:

http://www.28268.com/05sydmotorshow/rolla_worklog/ petrol_dramas/
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)! Thu, 24 November 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the looping wierd thing is probably some kind of condenser - it uses the long tube to convince petrol vapour to condense and drip back to the tank... well that's my guess.

the line going up the bay and venting to the chassis should be going to a charcoal cannister in the engine bay and the cannister should have a drain that goes to the chassis rail.

that's probably the cause of the fuel smell.

go to the wreckers and get the smallest charcoal cannister you can find from an EFI car. there should be two ports on the top and a drain at the bottom. One port is for the vapour line from the tank, the second port goes to the inlet manifold (and only opens up at high vacuum) and the drain goes to the chassis. The reason for using an EFI cannister is that carbi version would have solenoids and vacuum valves and shit to control vapour relaese to the inlet manifold. The EFI versions usually replace that shit with a simple valve in the cannister.

am assuming that the electric pump is self regulating as you dont have a fuel pressure regulator at the engine bay nor a return line from a regulator to the tank

cheers,
charles.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)! Thu, 24 November 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the KE20 is similar to KE10 in this respect.

the overflow line from the top of the tank goes thru a loop, then back down into the chassis rail at the rear.
this is so that any petrol that does leak lands in the chassis rail and has time to evaporate before it drips onto the ground.

it's a bitch, but thats how it was designed Sad

for the chassis rail at front, it was probably a charcoal canister vent (as charles mentioned).... do your webers have a return line? do you have a regulator or is the fuel pump self regulating?

i would be tempted to leave the rear line and vent it into the rear chassis rail, or just outside the car, and then bugger off the front chassis vent, or fit a charcoal canister again....

nice cage..... and what 50A alternator is that from?

oh, the loop on the front line is a classic liquid trap..
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)! Thu, 24 November 2005 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the help lads. I have some old school twist top pressure regulator in the engine bay.

The line with the loop up into the window pillar and the line that runs into my chassis rail are the same line.

The charcoal canister idea sounds fair - i'll only be having the car on the road until february before doing an engine swap, but i'm really sick of stinking of petrol, so i might just get a charcoal canister from the donor car so that i can keep it anyway. Do webers have the capacity for it though?

The cage is average to be honest - it doesn't hug the roof / pillars as well as it really should, is a 6 point item. Recently repainted it before i put carpet in (is halfway done in that pic, finished now).

The alternator i have no idea - i didn't put it in. It uses a custom bracket and initially didn't have enough adjustment in it to tension the belt, so i got a smaller one. I've changed the bushes in it, but i just used the part numbers to work out what bushes i needed - i don't think we ever tried to actually pinpoint what car it might have been from. I didn't even know it was 50A Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 21:03]

Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Why do i have a fuel line leaking into my chassis rail? (ke20 / ke25)! Fri, 25 November 2005 03:31 Go to previous message
From a PM i just sent, might as well stick it here for some thoughts:

What is the reason for running / not running a fuel return? (Given it seems i don't have one now?) Why does that line run all the way to the front of the car rather than just somewhere at the back - seems a bit bizarre to me...

I will be swapping to a ca18det when my rego runs out at the start of feb (well, i will be starting the process..) - and i want it all above board for engineering. Will i have to use a charcoal canister for engineering purposes, thus i had might as well set one up now? I assume for efi i will need new lines anyway, so i'll need to run both a line to the engine and a return to the tank. Can i use my existing line to the motor as the return line, and run a new line to the motor suitable for efi?

Yes, i'm a newbie to such things, but only one way to learn Very Happy

Cheers lads.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel Pressures and Injectors
Next Topic:Help needed! corona mkII light problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 13:20:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044729709625244 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.