Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 21:37 Go to next message
I have a 1984 KE70 corolla that im slotting a 300bhp 4AGTE into, the car is cleaned down to base coat and mates suggested that i weld the chassis to improve rigidity. I was wondering what is better....

Seam or Stitch?

I want durability as well as strength.

Iain
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not too clued up on this, but in my opinion, stitch may actually be preferable due to it allowing some (although very minimal) movement. Wouldn't completely seam welding everything put a lot more stress on other areas that do not experience it with non-welded seams, possible leading to fatigue?

I'm probably wrong, but that's my theory.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone try pot rivets as i hear they are good Razz
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought stich cause if ur have a prang then u can open up the welds again and straighten the car.
Fully welded car can't be straightened?
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So everyones thoughts point towards stitch welding, will there be a big difference with strength and rigidity?

Iain
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt there legaities regarding stich welding an cumple zones etc??
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed up evo 7 rally car in corner of work has stiched all over except for strut towers
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to get the car registered, but i am not really worried about that at the moment. I just want strength and durability.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contact Bubbles Performance over in Gayz0r Town... They'll sort you out with a rivet job from hell.

Nah, I'd go stitch for sure.
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Thu, 24 November 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright, with the welds anyone got good ideas with spacing?? 2cm weld 2cm off?

Iain
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seam welding is really what is being done. How you get there is to either stitch or fully weld the seams. Both cases the seams have additional welding to add to the existing, mostly spot welds.

Full welding adds a lot of material and therefore weight to the car. Also adds a lot of local heat which can deform the panels.

So

A 50% weld. 2cm or even 1cm of all the seams, is about right and this is what is done on most race and rally cars I have seen.

Race teams also add sheet material into critical areas, such as around where the front chassis rails meet the door pillars (in behind the guards). This would be benificial to you application.

Some rally cars have been known to have the front of the car start to fall off.

If you are worried about legalities and crumple zones then maybe leave anything forward of the strut towers alone.

Regards

Rodger
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stitching is good.
It allows the body to gradually absorb energy in a crash far better than a solid seam weld. It also stops the propogation of cracks if one of the welds starts to let go.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Fri, 25 November 2005 17:18

It also stops the propogation of cracks if one of the welds starts to let go.

Exactly right!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Means that you dont have to grind back the entire seam as well.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where's stu our local metal urgist when you need him
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Fri, 25 November 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Fri, 25 November 2005 22:28

where's stu our local metal urgist when you need him

since when have i been urging metals??

and anyway, this isn't a metallurgy thing, it's a mechanical thing Razz

surely everyone knows that to be D1 ready, you need rivets Rolling Eyes

i'm assuming you already have a proper cage to stiffen things up and that the seam welding is just the next step?

what will you be doing with the car to be able to notice the extra stifness? can you notice the body flex now?
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Sun, 27 November 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the moment the car is in peices in my garage. The cage wont be going in until next year i doubt as money is low. I have never driven the car with anything more than a 4K and it was years ago (mates parents family car) I was going to just grind back all the seams then do the stitch welds in the interior, the boot, the engine bay and i dont know if i need to do inside the guards (can someone help me out) I was going to leave under the car as i dont have a hoist and might get it done down the track. Any ideas would be great.

Iain
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Mon, 28 November 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you really want to do it then now's the time since the cars already apart. 2 on, 2 off is the best bet. Localised heat, weld one spot, then another somewhere else to minimise heat distortion. If you are fitting a cage plan now and weld in your leg plates.

Pillars and inner guards are probably more important for what you want than the chassis. I've seen more cracks around here than benefits from seam welding.

FWIW. Seam welding = welding the seams. Stitch welding = welding in stitches, ie: 2 on 2 off, looking like a sewing stich.

Get a GAS mig, do an evening college course and tell the teach you what you want to achieve. Profit from your experience.
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Stich Or Seam Welding - What is Better? Mon, 28 November 2005 02:46 Go to previous message
thanks for that info, i reckon i will get my plates welding in. Simon from SA meantioned welding in a brace between crossmember and chassie rail and also between firewall and chassie rail. I was going to get ever seam inside car done with mates dad help (welder by trade) and also inside gaurds and engine bay.

Iain
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion - mainly pics
Next Topic:where to send an engine??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:15:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006688117980957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.