Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 09:25 Go to next message
Has anyone ever performed this modification before ?

Either replace the twin CT12a turbochargers with a single or even twin CT26 turbos ?

Is this even a viable option ?

Just had some crazy/silly/stupid ideas.
  Send a private message to this user    
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you do, I'll take the CT12A's off ya hands Smile

Cheers
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt a single ct26 be a downgrade? cause i thought that swapping the twins off a 1g for a ct26 is the about the same,
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i have done this exact thing .. because the ct12a are crap enreliable ... so i put a ct26 on ... it is a little under size ... but still got 198hp at wheels on .7 bar and 230 1.1 bar ... im looking for a stuffed ct26 to hiflow ( to4e front and back cut rear ) ... hope this helps u out dude
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would depend on which CT26 right - early single entry as on 7MGTE or late twin entry as on 3SGTE?
I'd assume you'd have some lag issues with the 3.0L variant with 0.5L less to spool up in the 1J and it may peak early with the 2.0L variant!? Obviously changing the comp and/or exhaust wheels and A/R may improve the differences but makes the process a lttle more expensive.
Just remember, the Soarer is quite heavy and you need some early spool up to produce low down torque to get moving off the line - the major benefit of the smaller twin setup in the Soarer.
A pair of single entry ones with T04 internals may be a bit of a crazy setup for a drag only monster with some NOS for spool up. Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting post Manny. I knew that there were 2 different CT26 models... I think that the 7M uses a steel wheel and the 3S uses a ceramic one (feel free to correct me).
A pair of twin entry 3S-GTE turbos might just to the trick for a 1J. Not so much lag, but a larger turbo than the CT12a. Still there would be a reliablity issue, but due a larger housing etc, it shouldn't have to work as hard as the CT12a's.

I have no money to experiment with, but it was just an idea I had for the future if the inevitable happens to the CT12a's.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think if you're going to go the expense of an aftermarket manifold you should go the whole hog and put in some form of ball bearing single turbo or a pair of them.

Otherwise, rebuilding the factory turbos with steel wheels has proven very effective.
celiweb
Newcomer

February 2003

Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Tue, 25 February 2003 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using two twin entry turbos on a 6 cylinder engine will be pointless. How are you going to divide four turbo entries among six cylinders? Better use two single entry turbos.

Use the early single entry 3SGTE variety (ST165) if you must, but bear in mind the CT26 is an '80s design. Not the best turbo you can buy.

Note that the supra version of the CT26 has a bit larger compressor side than the celica/mr2 version, but not big enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade for a 1JZ when used alone.

Don't worry about extra lag on a single CT26, the 1JZ torque curve more than makes up for 500cc less displacement. Then again, a CT26 is always a laggy turbo. So you REALLY get to worry about lag if you use two early 3SGTE CT26s on a 1JZ.

Plain and simple : CT26 is not the right turbo upgrade for a 1JZ, no matter how many you use. One is too small, two is too big.

Marcel
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Wed, 26 February 2003 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the opinions guys. It was only a curiousity thing.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Wed, 26 February 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering you need a custom manifold why not simply fit a GT3040 ball bearing turbo at 15 psi they make 330 rwhp on a 1j with practically the same(if not better)spool up time than stock .$2500 for a brand new complete gt3040 .good for a high 12 in a soarer (Its been done!!)

for the same price you can go a little biggger youll gain about 500 rpm of lag but with aftermarket ecu and good diff,clutch/auto .Push close to 400 RWHP .but in the mean time run 10 psi for 330 rwhp 0-100 will only be a pinch better than stock but 1/4 mile will be DAMN quick

Considering you would have to spend at least $1,000 to $2,000
on a ct26 to make similar power with heaps more lag .Its really a far better option

If $4,000 is more than you want to spend (allowing $1500 for manifold) then your really better off with stock turbos and keep the boost down to a reliable 14 psi .

Or just fit twin pipes and remove about 60 % of the heat
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Wed, 26 February 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow lots off helpful info there ... my case lag aint too bad .. havent got tacho working yet . so i dont know when it spools .. ahh yes the turbo im using on the 1JZ is the single entry 7M one .. and as for a manifold i made a y section manifold that bolts up to the original 2 factory ones .. oh by the 1jz aint in a 1600kg soarer or supra its in a hilux 2wd extra cab so its weighs about 1350 kg ( proven by weighbridge )
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE - Replace CT12a turbos with CT26 Wed, 26 February 2003 23:56 Go to previous message
I would love a GT3040 Smile Smile Smile

I was just curious at the time. It does sound like a much better way to go than the CT26 idea.

Where can I get the twin pipes made up ? Could I install them myself ? (and then drive to the local exhaust shop to mate them up to my 3" mandrel system)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE101 GZE fuse box
Next Topic:GZE speedo drive
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:09:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062620639801025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.