Toymods » Members Rides » Gregas TA22 conversion - progress

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 06 August 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What Toyota are those wheels off Cressida ?

Grega wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 16:06

i've lost track now of how long, but, here it is -:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/celica1.jpg

different car to drive now. love that 4AGE goodliness...5500rpm and it gets on the cam and lookout all the way to 8000rpm.

Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 31 October 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx73 cressida.

been busy.
the 4AGE and T50 is outta there.

the original 2T is going back in complete with garrett T03.
watch this space for updates.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 01 November 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been busier today

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01713.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01714.JPG

should be running by the weekend.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 01 November 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awsome man!!

I love it,

have you upgraded the internals? What happened to the 4A,why didnt yoyu turbo that?

Fuck its going to sound mad!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 01 November 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm all 4A'd out.
seriously everyone was dropping in a 4A or 3S or 1UZ - i thought i'd keep to the good old simple theory and work with what i already had.

only thing that has changed is the T50 is no longer there. its now got a w57 sitting behind it - using the G series bell the box fits perfectly to the back of the 2T!
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Wed, 02 November 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
respecpa!

awesome stuff...very original and different..good work Smile

what type of performance improvement are u expecting compared to the stock 2T?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 03 November 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay. well it starts runs and dies. so i'm getting there...
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 03 November 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man thats pretty tuff... i like it.

now for the tuning ay!

gotta get some video for us.. okay?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 04 November 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starts runs and dies? I'm tipping buggered vacuum advance.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 04 November 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah strad, i'm figuring the LPG freezing in the line as the convertor had no water in it Smile nor was there an alternator on there.... Smile

so yeah we'll see how we go tommorrow. both those items are now awaiting fitment...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 04 November 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happened to the 1g?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 05 November 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gave that idea a miss due to it needing a shload of work and me having very little time ; also wanted to be original...

still have the 1G here at home with other plans for it.

made the custom gearbox crossmember ; the mount on the W5x box sits about 40mm-50mm further back than what the T50 did (on the last 2 bolt holes under the floor towards the rear of the TA22). The shifter position (i got a mid position is good for me but i had to remove when i put the T50 originally) about 20mm of metal from the trans tunnel ; with the W5x box it sits perfectly - if you had a front/forward position shifter you wouldn't need to mod the thing at all!

still won't start though. it tries, but it runs out of gas. lockoffs and saftety switch are fine i can see +12v when cranking and when running at both safety switch and lockoff but after the thing primes it doesn't run. i figure the inside of the convertor might be gummed up or something.
uteboy
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 07 November 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks bloody awsome mate, looks like more work then i would have first thought but i stil look forward to when i get to that stage, one day... Smile
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 07 November 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good Very Happy

what turbo manifold is that? it almost looks cast? also... are you going to build a tough bottom end or just ram boost into junkyard specials and buy replacements for 50$? Razz
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 07 November 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its looking a bit more awesome now that the plumbing is done up. gotta check my gas convertor out though i think its playing up.

i'll get the driveshaft shortened today and we should be in business methinks.

at this stage my original 2T is the development motor. what i think i will do eventually if/when this one dies is rebuild a tough one and go from there (forged pistons, ported head ect ect you know the usual recipe)

the manifold is a very very rare HKS unit with external wastegate for the 3TG. so yeah......all good Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 08 November 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay. it goes now. low vacuum signal Sad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 08 November 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more yayness.

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01726.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01727.JPG

so far so good.....so what? sounds like a megadeth album Evil or Very Mad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Wed, 09 November 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amazing what manifold leaks do.
now starts first time every time.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Wed, 09 November 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate i wish i still lived in Melbourne cause id be around milking you for info all the time.Its a top job allround mate from the home spray job to this wikkid conversion.

Thumbs up mate! Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sun, 13 November 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some various pix

i don't see what the big deal is about mandrel bent exhausts. wasn't that hard especially when you have a press bent to model off....

anyway, enjoy the pix...

(only got the driveshaft to do now), oh, that and bleed up the stupid slave cylinder ; clutch won't engage...

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01734.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01736.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01738.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01739.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01740.JPG

note the 1JZGTE blow off valve (thanks andrew)

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2005 10:06]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sun, 13 November 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work on the exhaust is that staino or mild?

how much did the bends set you back, im thinken of pulling out the welder and doing something similar this weekend
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 14 November 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mild.

the bends - depends. i think the 3" ones were about $20 for a 180 degree bend which in my mind is pretty cheap considering what full mandrel bent exhausts cost...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 14 November 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, for all those who care ; the distance between the rear of the gearbox (where the yolk goes into the gearbox) at the face of the seal to the diff pinion flange is 1296mm.

thats using a 2T with a G series bellhousing and a D (how long am I going to last) series diff.

hopefully pick the shaft up on wednesday nite. then some casual drives up and down the street will be in order...
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 15 November 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what clutch/flywheel are you running with the G series bellhousing?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 15 November 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using a 3TGTEU flywheel as its way lighter than the stock 2T one.

The clutch I'm not too sure on ; I think its a Supra variant but heavy duty (for the turbo) - Toby from meridian motorsport would be the best to answer that as I left that bit in his very capable hands.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 15 November 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to get some video of this lil beast.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Wed, 16 November 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think i can manage some video. my camcorder has some DV function or some shit ; i dunno

folks we have BOOST. not sure how much but f..k its there.

been for a few trips around the block now.
comes on about 3500rpm ; then at about 4500rpm hang the f..k on.
frightened the piss outta me.

for all folks who have AUTOMETER gauges or 1/8NPT gauges for the TEMP sender you need a VDO adaptor the part number is 320.055 to adapt. this will work in the 4AGE as well as its the same thread.

the sweet smell of success....finally....some minor clutch adjustments but nothing a slightly longer clutch slave pin won't fix...

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sun, 20 November 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmms

Manifold vacuum becomes positive around 2500rpm - from thereon in we start making boost - i've been up to 4500rpm and i'm seeing 5psi - which is all good.

At idle we see about 10-12 inches of mercury which seems about normal.

The gas still needs sorting out with things being a bit on the lean side for my liking. Need a smaller diameter rod to get things improved.

The clutch is sorted also. Adjustment on the clevis on the pedal was the key here (thanks Toby).
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 22 November 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Whoooosh!! Booya! Man that is the orsmast thing evah.
Yes we need video and audio! Make it as big as you like and send me a PM. I'll set you up with somewhere to host it Shocked
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 22 November 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you won't be able to hear much in the video except the hella noisy turbo Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 22 November 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesnt matter maaate!
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 26 November 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kahn wheres the vid Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 26 November 2005 09:16 Go to previous message
meh. gotta charge video camera....then figure out a way to mount the thing...

sorted the gas tune. i really need my IG5 working.....

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2005 09:16]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sexys other toys
Next Topic:The Stitt's Crown Wagon's MS53 Update!!!! Pics of Body off the Chassis!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:32:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006417989730835 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.