Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who has a 4agte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havn't had any dramas since fitting the machined type. Apparently you can buy steel ones too, but I havn't seen them.
  Send a private message to this user    
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 20 November 2004 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, that means mine's due to crack soon... Very Happy

but has anyone looked into tapping in the filter supply line yet?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Attn: TE72_Turbo Sun, 21 November 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how much did your pipings for the intercooler cost? I may have to look into that very soon... I've found a hole in my intercooler, and after I've fixed the supporting bracket for the bonnet latch, the 1G cooler won't go back in place! Mad

but the good thing is, after fixing the bracket and few adjustments, my bonnets lines up perfectly like it just came out of the factory, and when I pull the bonnet release, it makes a nice click and the bonnet pops up! I haven't seen that happen for years... D
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Sun, 21 November 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 18:03

but the good thing is, after fixing the bracket and few adjustments, my bonnets lines up perfectly like it just came out of the factory, and when I pull the bonnet release, it makes a nice click and the bonnet pops up! I haven't seen that happen for years... D

SAME!!! haha, actually, after the thieves stole my car, something happened with the grille and latches that they kinda fixed it up and it makes a solid CLUNK!! when i pull the latch.... Very Happy

oh - have you got a limo in that corona diff? is it custom fabricated?

fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 07:50

Thats what i did with mine and it turned out nice and neat. I should get a pic and post it up?

yes please!!!

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 21 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooler plumbing costs vary greatly depending on your setup, and how many bends are incorporated into the pipework. Budget around $250 per pipe in aluminium (please dont start another argument here about intercooler materials guys, i'm happy with mine Smile ) for something like my car, running down through the inner guards. Plus silicone bends/reducers were another $230 on top of that Confused
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Sun, 21 November 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 18:34

SAME!!! haha, actually, after the thieves stole my car, something happened with the grille and latches that they kinda fixed it up and it makes a solid CLUNK!! when i pull the latch.... Very Happy

So ur fairly happy with what the theives done to your car? Very Happy

What's a limo? LSD?
I think the old brackets were cut off with new ones welded on..

TE72_Turbo: So that's going to cost $1k including the intercooler? Shocked Out of my budget at the moment... Very Happy
I've actually went to cut up the pipings I had and got the correct angles and relocated my intercooler, I needed a 135 degree bend, but I've only got a pipe with around 160 degree (small bend) and forced the pipings to fit, so I'll see how long that will last before things starts cracking... Very Happy and filled up the small hole in the intercooler with body filler, and see how long that will hold up the pressure! Very Happy

I haven't tested it yet, coz today I've checked my oil and it's a bit low, I think I'm losing engine oil from the T bracket where the oil sender is so I'll have to fix that pretty soon, and I may want tap into the filter line, has anyone found any problems by doing that yet?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Tue, 23 November 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 22:59

What's a limo? LSD?
I think the old brackets were cut off with new ones welded on..

yeah does it have an LSD?

hahaa bodyfiller!!! that stuff works wonders on anything aye Laughing
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Tue, 23 November 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, no lsd yet, having trouble locating it! Very Happy only the japanese coronas TT142 have lsd and I've heard the lsd from MA60 & MA71 will fit, but not sure yet, time is another factor, as well as money! Very Happy

but yeah, I'm due to test the car out tomorrow and see if the body filler works! I've just connected the remote filter today and the big filter won't clear the thermo fans! Mad so looks like I have to move the mount a bit tomorrow, but hey! The body fillers can be very strong! Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 23 November 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the oil lines, I just did the ones on my car last week, if someone likes to drop past my place with a camera (I don't have one right now..) I can post up some pics for all.

I've moved the oil filter 3 times now, for various reasons, and settled with it mounted on the exhaust side of the engine, down low, nice and easy to get at, but sitting slightly higher than the bottom of the sump. I've got a cooler up front, and take the oil for the turbo from the filter, as there's no room near the gauge sender, and see no reason to use a clumsy T piece anyway.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 23 November 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 00:07

I've got a cooler up front, and take the oil for the turbo from the filter, as there's no room near the gauge sender, and see no reason to use a clumsy T piece anyway.

Yeah I'm feeling the same way, T-piece off the gauge sender looks ugly and clumsy... Very Happy

So it doesn't matter which side of the oil filter you take the oil from does it?

I was about to say I can come over to take some pics, but found out you're in Melbourne... =D

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 13:16]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 23 November 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics pics pics!!

so u guys have in theory T'ed off the filter oil lines to supply oil for the turbo?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Wed, 24 November 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you have an F series corona diff is it?

I have an F series MX13 (MK2) corona diff in my AE71, fitted with a toyota 2 pinion LSD, presumably from an RA45GT. I was lucky enough to find it hanging on the wall of my local diff shop Smile The guy didn't know what it had come from, but it was rebuilt with new clutch packs.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Wed, 24 November 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, in theory it should be a F series diff...

but based on this website, a Corona 14# can be a T series, as well as an E series but it doesn't mention it as a F series? so I'm pretty confused... Confused

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/di ff.htm

so you just went and got the LSD without knowing if it will fit? Very Happy
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Thu, 25 November 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

so you just went and got the LSD without knowing if it will fit?

Nah, we measured it up next to a standard F series hemisphere Smile

Have you had the axles/centre out of your diff? How many splines were there on the axles?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Thu, 25 November 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't had it taken out yet, in theory it should be 23 I think, I'll need to take it apart soon if I have time to find a replacement diff center/gear sets, coz it's make clunk noises esp when raining, and I noticed it gotten worst today even though it wasn't raining, why u ask?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Fri, 26 November 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just trying to work out if it actually is an F series. They should be 27 spline.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Fri, 26 November 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, is yours 27 spline? Coz I never took them apart yet...
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Fri, 26 November 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep. 27 spline, 28.1mm diameter
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Fri, 26 November 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, I must have got some information wrong then, coz I typed this in my notepad somewhere...

ST141/RT141? Corona Diff
23 Spline
BW68/70?

23 must be the ae86 original spline?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Sat, 27 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you've got a borg warner diff from a corona then?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Attn: TE72_Turbo Sat, 27 November 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be, is there more than 1 type of corona avante diff?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpity....need to keep the 4AGTE discussion alive!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, how many 4AGTEs are coming to the drags on the 16th?
It'd be good to see a few others there & it would allow everyone to compare notes & setups.
It'd also be a good chance to compare timeslips! Very Happy
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could well be there if the new ecu is here by then!!! look out PIMP MOBILE, the APPRENTICE is coming Through!!!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wish i could have mine ready Sad

all parts sitting on my bedroom floor awaiting the drop in Surprised
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be there Cool
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pimp boy will be there!! i'm even going to go and get a spare diff centre JUST IN CASE.

i think i probably have the most povo 4agte out there. 10psi, shagged as a $2 whore stock motor, emanage piggback on AE92 map gze ecu and RB25det turbo.

It still goes well though. If i didnt have 2 other cars there is a few things i would be doing to it right now, but alas she must be sold.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll be passing through sydney in the feral, but unfortunatly a few weeks late for the meet you guys are having.
hope you all have a great time thrashing your 4agte's and dont break anything. Shocked
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 01 February 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, little update on how my 4agte build is going...

I've collected pretty much all the major parts I need. The list so far is:

series II 4agze (pretty bare atm, all stripped but I think I'm going to leave the engine itself intact and not touch the internals, does anyone strongly recommend otherwise?)
rb20 turbo (also planning to leave intact)
450x300x76mm intercooler
w58 gearbox (i think this is it, i don't know how to tell for certain, this is what i was told it was)
blacktop 20v flywheel
front wheel drive 100kw manifold (yet to be shut and cut)
jap-spec 4age starter motor
bosch 070 fuel pump (vl turbo)
ea falcon fuel pump (throttle body model)
hks ssqv blow off valve (rice!)
a'pexi black face boost gauge (sort off rice!)

And this is what I need:

r31 skyline borg warner lsd rear end (hopefully buying off a forum member as I type)
custom bellhousing (paid for, coming from overseas)
clutch (not too sure what I'll use yet - probably just a daiken single plate 5-puck design)
BELLHOUSING BOLTS
CLUTCH FORK

Once the bellhousing arrives and I find some bolts to install the engine, bellhousing and gearbox in my dummy car, along with the starter, it can be sent off to get the turbo manifold and exhaust fabricated.

Wish me luck, part hunting is not as fun as I thought...
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 02 February 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beware: the daiken/exedy/pbr pressure plates do not have sufficient clamp, even with a button clutch plate, to hold down over 150kw at the wheels Sad
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 02 February 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is anyone else running a td05h? Mine is quite on the lagggy side, and im not sure if it is my setup or just the size of the turbo.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 02 February 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 01:04

beware: the daiken/exedy/pbr pressure plates do not have sufficient clamp, even with a button clutch plate, to hold down over 150kw at the wheels Sad

That's what I've heard, what alternatives/solutions are there?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is thread on clutches which I started a few weeks ago and if you have a read through different peoples experiences you will quickly see what you need as a minimum depending upon what power level you are chasing.

Here you go:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=56278&start=0&rid=204&S=06d0c4ed9332 1a412a9cbed6c614d82b

Very Happy
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 06 February 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 17:48

So, how many 4AGTEs are coming to the drags on the 16th?
It'd be good to see a few others there & it would allow everyone to compare notes & setups.
It'd also be a good chance to compare timeslips! Very Happy

I will be there, unfortunatly without the bigger exhaust needed to run more boost

and my diffs making noises so that will probably blow on hte night
Crying or Very Sad
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What engine oils are you guys using ?

I using mobil 1 5w50 its sucks, noisey as lifters

im trying Motul Turbolight 10w40 tomorrow and seeing if that helps
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not running a 4agte but in my gze i run fuchs 10w30 and seems to like it.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Penrite HPR15 does the job for my 4agte. i would prefer to use a thinner oil, (HPR10 probably) but my turbo is a bit used and abused. Laughing
used to run HPR5 in the 4agze.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RollaGTi: are your lifters noisy when cold, hot, or both?

Don't worry about issues at the track on the night, just go to have fun Razz I'm just gonna pretend that my car's problems don't exist on the night (except for the 6500rpm rev limit), and go for gold! Cool
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The lifters are always noisy Sad but only since the Mobil 1 has gone in and been used a little (2000ks) so im trying out the Motul Turbolight 10w40 tomorrow and will see how i go
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 07 February 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use hpr15 in mine too, no problems.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 03 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 07:50

Your not supossed to put the t piece in the block? Everyone knows that it will crack. Too much wieght hanging off it. The idea is to come off the block with one line and then mount the t piece somewhere else.

Thats what i did with mine and it turned out nice and neat. I should get a pic and post it up?

Bumpity bump bump.

Yes that pic would be very handy Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 03 July 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not my set-up, but this is basicaly what i did (i mounted my tee peice and oil pressure sender to the side under the fan).

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6762/oilfeedlinewindsor3ov.th.jpg
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 26 November 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digging up an old post here.......... just read thru it all...... got me so keen for my planed GTE... in time. Evil or Very Mad
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 27 November 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
into it dude, it' not that hard. Smile
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 27 November 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when the money allows its done... thats all it comes down to... Wink
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 27 November 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROLLA GTI:
i have also tried mobil 1 5w50 and found it made my engine heaps noisy as well. i guess it is too thin. i have tried the motul and it was so much better.
Also the new nulon oil is awesome
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 27 November 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and how many k's has your engine have?
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 28 November 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My engine had 65,000km on the clock.
I have now gone turbo and decided to rebuild just so i know its a fresh motor.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That thing still not finished tim?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 28 November 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys... you have to remember that 4A's are an 80's series engine, designed in the late 70s to early 80s with technologies of the times and thus a 4age really doesnt have the tolerances of your modern day 1UZ-FE or similar..... you just have to use a thicker oil!!

I've always run Gulf Western Proteca 15W-50 in any 4ag** i've touched..... or something thicker Wink
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 28 November 2005 11:45 Go to previous message
yeh i agree witzl, the engine was designed to run an "SG" or so oil in its time, the newer oils have additives in them suited for newer cars and can cause problems in older cars.
I sell oils every day, but was told by a "Performance shop" to run mobil 1, and i hated it!

FATMR2:
Yeh still not finnished, i have been spending all my free time on FLYNSX, installing AV for him. I'll be putting in the hard yards on mine shortly, and be proud that some of your parts are in it!
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota 'FENDER 53801-1E480' What's it off?
Next Topic:Please Help!!! ST-162 Alternator?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:26:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091249942779541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.