Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » New Conversion Laws Coming out ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Mon, 17 February 2003 23:55 Go to next message
Hey all

Sorry if this has been covered b4...but i havent been on here in ages
And hopefully i see the response as i dont really have access to the net

Anyways ive been told by a few ppl that they are gonna try and pass a law in July Stating that you cant do engine conversions on cars at ALL. It has to be the same engine with the same engine code.

Now this really stuffs me up as ive invested so much time researching into my conversion and all that .....and i was planning on going through with the conversion at the end of this year.

Can someone please let me know if this is true
I gotta go now i got "work" to do

Thanx Heaps
Mani
  Send a private message to this user    
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For those of u interested .... its confirmed....yes they are going to try and pass that law in July

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of silly law is that ? is it australia wide.

what if you already put a different engine in say a 4age in the place of a 4ac if something happens to the 4age you can put another one in if it was engineered before whenever the law comes in?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confirmed by who?

What is the wording of the bill?

Where can we get more info on this change?
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been hearing this thing from a few ppl in the Auto business and they say they are positive, so it seems to be true....and one is also doing a conversion so obviously he has sussed it out

But i still just wanted to Pass this through u ppl at Toymods

(btw the guy im talking about is whacking a 1JZ-GTE in a RA-23)

Widow....i would assume if your car was engineered with a different engine (for example 4A-GE) b4 the law comes out.... then its ok...u can whack in another 4A-GE if your one blows...

but im only assuming here as they do that with all laws

for example new tinting laws came out in 94(?) so pre 94(?) cars can have insane amounts of tint as it wouldnt be fair ppl to make them change the tint.

I dont know where u can find out more info offically
Just go to the RTA and they'll direct to the right ppl i spose

and yes its a very gay silly law

But like i said they are going to TRY and pass this law.....ppl say its going to be very hard to get it passed.....but im not taking any chances.... so just in case it does, im doing my conversion ASAP

Check
Mani
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool.

Don't worry dude I'm not having a go at you I'm just after all of the info. I remember when everyone was going on about changes to the engineering standards and it was all doom and gloom about it costing $1000 for an engineers certificate. I really just want to know where I stand with time frame in which I have to get my conversion done.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting - I will start looking for info on this as I have not heard anything about an impending bill from DOTARS.

I am surprised that there is not more out there on this as engine conversions and so forth is a huge industry.

Since both 4AGEs and 4ACs are A series blocks I don't see why you would need to get in engineered. Just let the RTA know your new block serial number and your done. I'll check on this though.

Cheers
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the moment, I would tend to think someone is pulling your leg big time.

As if we wouldn't have heard more about it by now. That means all the importers, tech magazines like Zoom and other major businesses would be out of business from July.

I'm not saying it won't happen in the future but I don't think it will be on yet. All the RTA's approved engineers would also be out of jobs because 80% of their work is engine conversions.

Enigine conversions are removing tired worn out engines to be replaced with engines which provide better emissions and so forth. There are too many benefits. At the moment.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 19 February 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well said, conversions are a good thing Smiley =
I'm sure my old 18rc was pumping out worse emissions than my 1g will.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 20 February 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its comes in half way thru this year but only on new cars

say good bye to sports exhausts!! they have to be the same specs as standard and thats everything from wheel size to seat covers practically!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 20 February 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must ask why does this government beleive in such bs laws sometimes, sure they should have something better to do? So this law, or should I saw proposed lay is only applicatble to new cars? Anyway s*!t thing is that these laws when passed dont generally go backwards. Crying or Very Sad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 20 February 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What u guys are saying is very true....the fact that there hasnt been a big fuss about it from everyone is kinda weird

Also the fact that u guys dont know about it is weird too

ill go to the RTA sometime and suss it out

So OZ-Craig are u saying that IF this law comes through my car is still ok for conversions...since its such an old Beast ???

(PS: This is prob my last day in the office so the last day i have net till who knows when)

Check
Mani
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 20 February 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a NSW thing right?
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well im in NSW.....dunno if its Just for NSW or if its NationWide

Ill ask that aswell at the RTA
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz_Craig wrote on Thu, 20 February 2003 20:34

yeah its comes in half way thru this year but only on new cars

say good bye to sports exhausts!! they have to be the same specs as standard and thats everything from wheel size to seat covers practically!

This is good. Think about it.

No more damn kids buying a new prancer and ricing it.

Hoo-Ray!

But define new car as well I guess. If it's just until warranty period is finished, then that's still ok.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha... you dicks!! ummmmmmm I don't know about you guys but since when does a ban on ENGINE CONVERSIONS mean that there will be a ban on exhausts and fiberglass bits???

Sheeeeet ricers are here to stay fools!!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dick? whos that

when i was in the exhaust place the other day he was telling me how he has been notifed of the new laws which are what i said no more huge canons on new cars has to be standard size and standard spec decibel level

reguards

Nob
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*YAWN!!!!* Yeah RIGHT!!! As fucking if!!!

Don't beleive everything you read and hear man!!
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedcore, or is that knobcore?

Exhaust places arn't buying in new exhausts(larger ones) as it will be illegal soon for them to sell them. Anything that conflicts with ADR37 is defectable and now they are making the suppliers (muffler shops) liable.

Do you know what ADR 37 is?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you paul!! at least someone believes me!!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that with all cars paul, or just new ones?

for example, what happens if I decide I want the first half of my exhaust to be twin 2.5" instad of the sinle 3"?
or want a new y-pipe?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new cars post june 2003
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz_Craig wrote on Fri, 21 February 2003 19:10

new cars post june 2003

So would that be like never ever able to modify them? Or can they reach a certain age, then go for it?

If it's never ever, then I see our cars going up in value, able to be modified and all. Smile

EDIT: I also see this as a bad thing for us too. If the zorst shops arn't doing as much business, prices go up. Not to mention the other econcomic burdens then upon society by them all going bust too from no business.

I think the down side will definatly outweigh any sort of percieved benefit by whoever passes these laws that have free government issued, upgraded every year cars.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2003 10:44]

Heyah
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soo is any of this confirmed yet ... othere than the fact that we know the law(s) are comming in???
or more specifically what is confirmed??

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u sure this isnt a joke? i thought they were trying to promote new apprenticeships in the areas of mechanics etc not killing dozzens of workshops off.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Fri, 21 February 2003 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUPRAGTE wrote on Fri, 21 February 2003 19:58

Speedcore, or is that knobcore?

Exhaust places arn't buying in new exhausts(larger ones) as it will be illegal soon for them to sell them. Anything that conflicts with ADR37 is defectable and now they are making the suppliers (muffler shops) liable.

Do you know what ADR 37 is?

WOW thanks for the insult mate.... that's really appreciated, cause I am always out of line isn't that right???
Keep it comming.... keep on pinning all that shit on me like everyone else in my life does!

If you actually took the time to critically analyze the circumstances, of what you and many others are stating here (not officially proven or disproven within these forums I might add), then maybe you would stop panicing and not be too bothered about these rumours! And maybe I would not have to start calling people lightheartedly fools and dicks.... remember what I posted.....
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR!!

I have a "basic" understanding of ADR 37.... I'm no expert like you profess to be. That must make me a simpleton, a cretin right??

You seem to be so knowledgable with everything that is occuring within the boundaries of Austalia and its motor vehicle industry, emission guidelines and standards, which is really what we are talking about here, is it not???

If there is a revision of ADR 37 it would seem to be solely for the purpose of maintaining current emission standards or even trying to reduce them (which might I add is so unlikely, and if it is to be.... very hypocritical of the Australian Government...... remember Australia was the only country not prepared to sign an international agreement a few years ago re: emissions not just from motor vehicles but also from industry!)

Look at the Japanese... possibly one of the worst places to live in re: to air quality.. and possibly one of the hardest countries on emissions.... flourishing aftermarket industry even though the economic status of the country at the moment is shot to shit!!

Look at the USA... The EPA is so strict that it would shit you to tears! I will not bore you or take you for an IGNORANT person, cause I beleive you not to be... just misguided and take everything on face value, so I will not mention the policies in states like california. Their aftermarket scene??????? Strong as a motherfucker! Only thing is modifications have to pass safety, sniffers etc etc! (fucks me how they get lo-lo's passed for safety.... well I suppose all the chassis bracing and reinforcement needed for a PRO-HOPPER is enough for them)

Even with the problems in California re: motor vehicle emissions, or as they call it "SMAAAAAAAAAWWWG" they still be modifying legally even with the "NAAAAAAAAAWWS"!! hehe Very Happy
So.... this being said...... hope you still with me?

You quoted:
"Anything that conflicts with ADR37 is defectable and now they are making the suppliers (muffler shops) liable."

Please like I said above read this statement over in your head a few times and analyze it well, instead of freaking the fuck out!
Then read on!! Please! For my sake! For your sake! For Baby Jesus and the Virgin Mary.....

There is nothing that anyone can do to prevent you from modifying your exhaust if it is just an amendment on emission laws. Having said this.... one must ensure that your new exhaust will be upto or exceeding the standards of emissions placed on that type of vehicle!

If it is an amendment on ADRs to keep std decible level.. it would also be an amendment on ADR 28 not ADR 37.... have we heard anything about changing that??? NOT ME! It's currently set at what??? low 90dB?? Please someone enlighten me!

What I think possibly could happen, is that any little modification that is carried out on your car, be it an exhaust, RICEKIT, whatever will have to be inspected by the DOT (read: at a cost... it's always about money hey guys.. haha oh well) and be deemed compliant with ADRs. And on top of this it would not be surprising to see things like a little COMPLIANCE BOOKLET (that you must keep in the car at all times) introduced which officially states which modifications have been carried out, and must be produced at request by police (sif they have a clue), DOT car inspection stings on the side of the road etc! A booklet because if you are to get blueplates for every little thing on your car it would be a fun engine bay!

So SUPRAGTE, don't jump to conclusions man, just relax! You will still have your ride and have good fun modifying it, even if you buy a brand new car and think you can not mod it.. think again!! I am convinced that if there is to be an amendment, it will be just to help improve air quality, and look at it this way... if it is more to do with trying to bring down the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons as opposed to moddifications, isn't that a good thing??? Isn't an engine that is efficient in its utilisation of fuel a good engine??
Take care man, don't stress...

SPEEDCORE!

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Sat, 22 February 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone is forgeting conversions and most modifications are already illegal unless engineered, this is to make sure that the car still meet if not betters the standards it was released from the factory with.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 February 2003 01:04]

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Sat, 22 February 2003 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If this is a proposed law then it is a still a Bill and open to public inspection and comment.

That said has anyone come across any 'sources' other than hear say and my brothers muffler guy heard a rumour. Like I said in one of my earlier posts I have been trying to find some real info on this:

http://www.nsw.gov.au/

Is a site with so much info on it, it's the proverbial haystack. That said this Bill really does sound like a NSW thing. The aftermarket scene is a pretty big business and I just can't see the Bill getting through for this reason alone.

I have found this:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/search/s essional

but have not found what I am looking for yet

Cheers

[Updated on: Sat, 22 February 2003 01:33]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Sat, 22 February 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to the QLD RTA yesterday about this and the reply I got was I quote "we dont know anything about this! where did you hear this? If this is true it will not happen for at least 24 months" This is how long things take to happen Confused

That was their reply!
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Mon, 24 February 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What i'm saying is:

The fuzz in Sydney pull over 100 cars on a Saturday night in Bondi(I don't drive with those "fully sick" fraternity so I don't get hassled) and put them through a temporary RTA inspection station.

Although I and you know it is wrong the police/rta are defecting everything for ADR37. Even though it's not a direct violation of ADR37. More like 28 for noise but read on.

If you have an exhaust that isn't OEM or a replacement from the factory then you are immediatley in breach of ADR37.

They are saying you have altered the emission's differently from what the car was released with. Within those emissions, part gases and part sound(its also an emission) they are stating you have also increased the noise level of the car. Even though it comes in underneath the 90dB(or whatever it is) level.

So straight up you are breaching ADR37. Police a few years ago starting defecting vehicles and when this started I'd say a number of officers asked "on what reasons can we defect a car?". Because there are so many ADR's and way too many for their complicated, pre-programmed brains they classify every defect as ADR37 cause it's easier to remember one number instead of a whole list and which one relates to what.

So now when you get pulled over for a "fully sik" riceboy bodykit that is too low you'll most likely get a defect for ADR37 which has got nothing to do with it. But stil you can't really do anything about it except pay the fine or take it to court and say you have been charged with the wrong fine and it should get dismissed.

I'm not freaking out either as all of these laws only act from the date they are imposed so as long as I get my car engineered I don't care what happens in the future, i'll be fine.

Exhausts will still get sold but you'll see more and more factory replacemnts going on in the future. I'm sure it won't matter if mum and dad put a different exhaust on their tarago as long as it's the same size etc. It's just we come under much greater scrutiny because we have larger exhausts that are louder and car cars look flashier and this unfortuneatly brings us into the RTA/Police radar for "ADR37" breaches.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2003 00:52]

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.K, I have a question for you re: ADR37
If, as you say, I am in breach for running a modded exhaust, How will this be proved at, for example, a road-side check?
Take the sound emissions first. (Apart from the fact that it was engineered and sound-metered with this exhaust). Will they run a sound-meter over it on-the-spot? If so, you'd suggest that it opens up a can of worms for them, given that their are strict testing methodologies which must be employed as regards microphone placement/distance from exhaust etc (my engineering docs have a diagram drawn - with measurements - to illustrate how mine was tested...)
Secondly, as regards gas emissions: Are they going to actually test the emissions at the road-side? (My exhaust runs a cat and two mufflers, as did the factory system - just in 2.5" rather than 2" - thus I would suggest that the emissions should be similar, if not lower, given that I am running a newer/better designed engine - which is ultimately the source of emissions in the first place).
They may try and defect you, but you ARE entitled to defend yourself if your vehicle is not in breach...
Not really a rant, as such; more a "reasoned debate" Smile
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biased
I guess it will come down to guilty until proven innocent. If you make a change that on face value breaches an ADR, you will need to get the mod certed to say it still complies. For example, if you do a motor swap and don't get it certed, it is assumed it is illegal until you get the paperwork even if all the work has been done properly and is safe.
Basically they won't need to test your noise level or emissions to call your exhaust illegal, if you haven't got paperwork to prove the mod complies then it doesn't. When the manufacturer built the car they had to prove it complied so you do as well. Even if you have 2 cats, you need to prove they are as good as the ones you replaced. Only way to do that is get an emmissions test.
Interesting thing on exhaust noise, in California now if you get pulled over for excessive noise you can take your car to an inspection centre and get your noise level checked. If it is legal, you get a certificate to say so and the cops then can't fine you. This was brought in due to the huge number of fines being issued, with people having no way to test their car. The really stupid part is you can't have your car tested first and get a certificate, you have to get pulled up. Seems a little backwards to me, you have to get busted before you can find out if your car is legal.

Callum

SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep as Purple says exaclty. Guilty till proven. Also this stands for alot of ppl who haven't even done an engine swap.

They just put on a sports exhaust on a hotted WRX for example and you wouldn't bother getting a $500 engineers certificate for your exhaust and wheels would you?

Then your car is illegal cause you have a non-standard exhaust. If you do an engine swap though your likely to put a bigger exhaust on and get the whole lot engineered.

This I feel has a fair bit more credibility when you get pulled over by the RTA/Police. An engineer who has alot more knowledge has given his personal and educated seal of approval.

Whereas just putting an exhaust on without engineering is likely more risky.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm gents,

How many cars PER day get an exhaust and no engineering certificate!! I suspect the number is fairly high looking at the sheer number of exhaust businesses versus the number of engineering signatories.

There must be a lot more cars than that out there with essentially the OEM exhaust in place but for an replcement muffler that is not factory. Is this technically illegal - NO is more than likely

Why, because ADR37 does not talk about having to buy OEM or factory it talks about meeting the specs that the OEM set-up met.

So if I have a 3 inch system with one cat and two mufflers, as long as the emission levels are right and the DB is under 90 etc etc. Then it's legal, end of story.

Flame on

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but you cant prove it meets the oem specs so you will be able to get told that by a officer who knows no better
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Tue, 25 February 2003 21:02

Umm gents,

How many cars PER day get an exhaust and no engineering certificate!! I suspect the number is fairly high looking at the sheer number of exhaust businesses versus the number of engineering signatories.

There must be a lot more cars than that out there with essentially the OEM exhaust in place but for an replcement muffler that is not factory. Is this technically illegal - NO is more than likely

Why, because ADR37 does not talk about having to buy OEM or factory it talks about meeting the specs that the OEM set-up met.

So if I have a 3 inch system with one cat and two mufflers, as long as the emission levels are right and the DB is under 90 etc etc. Then it's legal, end of story.

I think he's hit it on the nose with that one, if you had to buy OEM or factory it would kill the "repro" parts business. Personally I think its a good thing, I hate people with exhausts you could fit your foot in, high powered rally cars don't have em so why on earth do people need them.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ollygt wrote on Tue, 25 February 2003 22:18

I hate people with exhausts you could fit your foot in, high powered rally cars don't have em so why on earth do people need them.

So they can stick their foot in them...... Laughing Laughing

Your correct Bugman, and by the same token most people with a standard car cannot prove they meet the specs, however this is a slightly mute point.

I myself have the paper work for a noise test in the glove box of my car along with a copy of the ADRs that are on the compliance plate of my car (there are of course complications to this - eg New engine in old car means car must meet engine ADRs of same year etc). Most cops would probably back down if you politely produce the evidence.....yet to be tested though... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2003 11:31]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your all forgetting a defect doesnt mean you have anything wrong, you get it off someone with no idea then take it to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Sat, 22 February 2003 03:07

Look at the Japanese... possibly one of the worst places to live in re: to air quality.. and possibly one of the hardest countries on emissions.... flourishing aftermarket industry even though the economic status of the country at the moment is shot to shit!!

Actually it isn't (having family there and visited many times) and the "BIG TEST" after 3 years is their goverments way of helping prop up the car industry by encouraging people to buy new cars so as they don't have to pay huge sums for repairs to pass the test.

Got a good point on California though.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I asked about the conversion and import laws when i was in the RTA yesterday paying my rego and they didnt know anything about any of this and tried to find a brochure or something on it but couldnt so they gave this number 1800 815 272 to ring and said to ask for a information pack on this topic and they said they'll post one out. Havnt had time to yet. But if anyone wants to go ahead.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Tue, 25 February 2003 22:02

Umm gents,

Flame on

Youngy..... READ MY 3rd post on this thread!!!

What you said is exactly what I said but I had a bit more info and RANT thrown in!! I am still surprised that I didn't put an end to this thread with my last post!!! I thought it was self explanatory!! If its less than 90dB... can't fuck ya with ADR 28.... if it passes emissions tests ie. SNIFFER..... they can't screw you for ADR 37!! Simple!! Plain no more BS lets end this debate now!!

If any of you guys get fined and you know for a fact that you are below 90dB and are getting PPM ranges of CO, CO2, unburnt hydrocarbons etc. on PAR or better than what is acceptable...
Than take that shit to court..... make a stand... spend some money to take it to these IGNORANT police and RTA officers becasue they are trying to enforce a law that has been interpreted by them INCORRECTLY, and driven by the fine QUOTAs placed upon them!! If enough of us car enthusiasts.... HOONS to them, make sure that we ARE legal, and make a stand... and WIN then maybe they will think twice before ramming a fine up our asses!
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Tue, 25 February 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too bad if you blow a piston and crap the engine completly....i woonder if the rta will pay to right off the car or allow me to change engines??????
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 26 February 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK i have the net back again !!!!

yay

anyways

Theres too many replys to read so ill just write this down and read them later....so sorry if what im about to say has already been said

i called the RTA on the weekend and they directed me to another number.... 1300 137 302

i called that number and they said that its nothing like that at all

all they are doing is making it a little more strict to engineer your conversions, for safety reasons

they are not changing any Engine Capacity Laws or anything like that

For example ive heard ppl say that a 3T-GTE conversion on a TA22 doesnt need a brake upgrade.....theyll probably change that.....thats just an example

So conversions are still allowed .....no Engine Capacity changes.....just a little more strict to engineer your conversions

HOWEVER ....he did tell me that if this bill is knocked back....they might come back with another different law ....and try and get THAT passed...

im rather tired so if the above sounds like blabbering call 1300 137 302 and ask them about new conversion/engineering laws coming out around June

by the way im in Sydney NSW

Thanx
Mani

SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 26 February 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys completely missed my point but Bugman got it. Smile

Yes you may be under 90dB, may be well under the emissions but it doesn't stop a cop giving you a defect notice because by the looks of it, it's too loud and "doesn't comply to ADR37".

Thats what pisses me off.

I know a few workshops(one where I sometimes get dyno tuning done) are getting alot of flak from their customers because they get defected all the time. They are returning their cars and getting exhausts and other mods put back to standard.

Enough from me....its getting tiring
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 26 February 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear you paul. long live the service boys!
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 26 February 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFS GUYS either some of you guys don't bother reading my posts or don't have a SPINE!!!

If you KNOW you are under 90dB and your emissions are up to scratch.... why are you getting pissed off at getting a ticket??
You tell me how a ticket can be issed just because a cop thinks it looks loud??

Contest it for christs sake!! Grow some balls and contest it!!!!

If you know you are in the right why do you let cops bend you over and fuck you up the ass with fines??

Fuck me some people just don't get it!!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Wed, 26 February 2003 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's more the hassle of taking time out of your day, going to an emissions place, get the slip, go to the rta, and get the defect revoked.

it just pisses me off that if a cop has had a bad day, he can almost certainly defect your vehicle and force you to go get it inspeceted.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 27 February 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fact is that you do not know your emissions are fine. To get full testing done for emissions compliance last time I checked cost over $1500 and the person trying to prove inoccence had to foot the bill whether they were innocent or not.

I'd love to see how well you go if you use this attitude when you get pulled over by the police. There is no point trying to use a logical argument because the law, as anyone who has seen what is happening in the world will know, is not about logic. The police have the right to issue a fine and defect notice because they believe the car is in breach of the law. Whether it is or not is not important and basically it is assumed the car is not that is why the system for clearing a defect is so simple rather than a full engineers inspection.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 27 February 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can u guys open up a new thread called skoolgirls bitchfest ..... cause this isnt too relevant....
in a way it is but isnt at the same time

dont mean to be mean but im trying to let everyone know that the conversion laws are NOT what they were thought to be....and thats pretty important to alot of ppl

PS....sorry if i freaked anyone out with the conversion laws....it freaked me out too though

Thanx
Mani
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 27 February 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To quote JOSHSTIX: "I'd love to see how well you go if you use this attitude when you get pulled over by the police. There is no point trying to use a logical argument because the law, as anyone who has seen what is happening in the world will know, is not about logic. The police have the right to issue a fine and defect notice because they believe the car is in breach of the law."

You see my friend it is attitudes like that get you no where!!

I love how some of you people let the law enforcers and the powers that be walk all over you. If you go down without a fight.. then you are pretty much at the same level as a LIL BITCH in PRISON getting on your knees and giving the WARDEN head!
Police only have power because people give them that power.
I will never be below a cop (or anyone for that matter)! At the same time I will never profess that I am higher than anyone else.

When they have tried that shit with me I have always told them, "I will not tolerate being intimidated by you!" Straight to their face!! No holding back!

You think any cop has ever tried to fuck with me after I have made it clear where I stand?? Hell NO!!

When a cop comes across with his nostrils flared out and shit like he be snorting COKE, talking 5 octaves lower than what they usually talk in..... that is the way that they intimidate you and try to make the point that they are the ONE IN CONTROL!!
I straight up laugh in their face!

Once they know that you DON'T PLAY THAT SHIT and will not get on your knees to suck thier cock, then you are half way there..... the next thing is to make it perfectly clear that you are on the same level as him no higher no lower!

I have said it before on other threads and I'll say it again,

"IF YOU DON'T STAND UP FOR SOMETHING.......
YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING"!

Take care guys,
SPEEDCORE!

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 27 February 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedcore
I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say. The manufacturer has to prove a car complies with relevent ADR's before they are allowed to sell it. If you modify it from standard in an obvious way (big stainless steel mufflers tend to stand out) then a cop is entitled to require you to prove that you still comply with the original requirements when the car was built. If you simply put on equivalent equipment then it is assumed to still comply (eg replace a standard muffler with a standard style muffler). However if you change the tone or noise level of the exhaust system then you need to get it tested and be able to prove it complies.
How would you KNOW your below the noise level or that your cat is removing enough impurities unless you have it tested? If you have had it tested then show them the proof, then they can't touch you. It is GUILTY until PROVEN innocent.

Callum
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Thu, 27 February 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Callum: Nah I understood you dude!

I'll quote myself again ok from an earlier post:
"What I think possibly could happen, is that any little modification that is carried out on your car, be it an exhaust, RICEKIT, whatever will have to be inspected by the DOT (read: at a cost... it's always about money hey guys.. haha oh well) and be deemed compliant with ADRs. And on top of this it would not be surprising to see things like a little COMPLIANCE BOOKLET (that you must keep in the car at all times) introduced which officially states which modifications have been carried out, and must be produced at request by police (sif they have a clue), DOT car inspection stings on the side of the road etc! A booklet because if you are to get blueplates for every little thing on your car it would be a fun engine bay!"

You see I know where you where comming from, Smile the thing is that DOT I beleive should implement this type of booklet, and I stress make it AFFORDABLE to get moddifications OK'ed!!

Another thing that got me thinking was this.... I don't know if it would be possible but just a thought.... please guys let me know your view on this.... (I'm here to discuss with you guys not arguing, please realise this ok)!!

Ok, lets concentrate on exhausts for sec. Would there be any difference to the implementation of these laws and the issuing of fines if exhaust companies where forced to produce data re: their exhausts products....I am thinking mainly CAT Converters, and that they can be adapted to cars X, X and X and that they will still be OK with regard to emissions??? Sorry if I am confusing you guys even more! What I am trying to get at would it be somehow possible to say I have BRAND XYZ exhaust fitted, and that they would be ok you may go??

Hope I am making sense!
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Conversion Laws Coming out ??? Sat, 01 March 2003 13:57 Go to previous message
Sorry I missed that part of your post.

SPEEDCORE wrote on Thu, 27 February 2003 20:12

Ok, lets concentrate on exhausts for sec. Would there be any difference to the implementation of these laws and the issuing of fines if exhaust companies where forced to produce data re: their exhausts products....I am thinking mainly CAT Converters, and that they can be adapted to cars X, X and X and that they will still be OK with regard to emissions??? Sorry if I am confusing you guys even more! What I am trying to get at would it be somehow possible to say I have BRAND XYZ exhaust fitted, and that they would be ok you may go??

Hope I am making sense!

California runs this sort of system and it works good in some repects BUT if you don't have a common car your out of luck. For emissions etc they gets certs that are car specific so all those rice boy Hondas will be fine running round with 5 inch tips, and guys with older cars will be up for the cost of testing things themselves.
the other way a lot of manufacturers get around it is with a big sticker saying OFFROAD/RACING USE ONLY. Now either there are a hell of a lot of race only vehicles in California or someone isn't reading the sticker.

The logbook of mods is a good idea so that will never get anywhere. No government department would ever let that through, would ruin their reputation.

Callum
(me cynical?, never)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1990 seca sx, air-con gas?
Next Topic:anybody own a green ta22 with a yellow tailight surround ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 15:52:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076780319213867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.