Toymods » General Car Talk » New RTA Speed Cameras

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
icon13.gif  New RTA Speed Cameras Fri, 25 November 2005 12:28 Go to next message
Have a read, it's worrying if these ever get mainstream support. I mean I'm usually driving up the F3 at 110, but occasionally you'll slide to 120 or whatever, then you get screwed...not kool, I wonder what the margin for error is....

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/speed-cameras- to-time-your-journey/2005/11/24/1132703316765.html

Also apology if repost, but I couldn't see anything similar anywhere...
  Send a private message to this user    
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Fri, 25 November 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i sat on the F3 last thursday when i went to forster, there was a cop car sitting in front of the pack i was in and we were doing 120 the whole way from just past gosford until well past newcastle so seems pretty stupid to me.

to me its a dumbass idea. instead of focusing on the road for 2 hours at a time ull be making sure your not going over the speed limit. just another thing to cuase more accidents in my opinion.

what i would like to see if a report detialing how many accidents there have been that are cuased by SPEEDING and not poor dirving conditions (nabiac and that section before coffs harbour)

once they finish the F3 (ill be an old man but anyways) it should be safe enough to do 150kms/hr on it but im not saying they should raise the limit. but if a roads built to be safe at 150 its going to be safe at 110 and leave alot of room for the worst case scenario.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Fri, 25 November 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... interesting.
Maybe the computer would like my new hexadecimal number plates!
46 75 63 6B 20 59 6F 75 20 50 69 67 73 21
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its better than the system now as it can slow paople down over a zone rathar than a 200m long stretch.BUT they have had so many dramas with the current cameras that only needed to take a photo of a speeding car that im not overly confident in one that will have to do this and also relay AND calculate a heap of information before taking the snap.

They were saying its pretty much inevitable that this is the beginning of having all roads monitored. Apparently in other countries P platers have sat nav monitoring systems so if your in a 50-100 etc you cant go over that limit..

Still putting incompetant people behind the wheel but I guess we wont see the effects of the L and P plate rule changes for some time so well have to see what happens.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Fri, 25 November 2005 23:50

i sat on the F3 last thursday when i went to forster, there was a cop car sitting in front of the pack i was in and we were doing 120 the whole way from just past gosford until well past newcastle so seems pretty stupid to me.

to me its a dumbass idea. instead of focusing on the road for 2 hours at a time ull be making sure your not going over the speed limit. just another thing to cuase more accidents in my opinion.

what i would like to see if a report detialing how many accidents there have been that are cuased by SPEEDING and not poor dirving conditions (nabiac and that section before coffs harbour)

once they finish the F3 (ill be an old man but anyways) it should be safe enough to do 150kms/hr on it but im not saying they should raise the limit. but if a roads built to be safe at 150 its going to be safe at 110 and leave alot of room for the worst case scenario.

What are the chances.. I was heading up the f3 last thursday (also heading to forster) and remember a cop car sitting ahead of the pack.
Not many people seem to stick to 110 on the f3, only around where the cameras are
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do ya's remember when they had white lines painted on the roads and Airplanes used to time you between the lines?
It failed miserably.

Cheers, Greg.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn that was a long time ago... I do remember that scheme.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 18:32

Do ya's remember when they had white lines painted on the roads and Airplanes used to time you between the lines?
It failed miserably.

Cheers, Greg.

Been told about it by my parents (pigs in the sky Surprised), my dad had a worked datsun 200B SX at the time which sadly got stolen before my time Sad .
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sat, 26 November 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ridiculous draconian society we live in
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sun, 27 November 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 18:32

It failed miserably.

Cheers, Greg.

What the hell that's crazy! Elaborate please? Smile

Playing Need for Speed Most Wanted I was actually thinking about this last night. Toll booth race is where you have go through a certain number of toll booths in a limited amount of time. The idea behind it being you being clocked at certain times is proof that you made it from one toll booth to the next. I was then thinking that if they introduced that here people would be screwed because they'd be able to check how fast you were travelling by comparing the times. I really hope that thing doesn't catch on =\
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sun, 27 November 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 13:50

What the hell that's crazy! Elaborate please? Smile

Fairly self explanatory mate.
There were white lines painted across roadways, a certain distance apart mainly on major freeways and highways. Cops in planes would then time how long it took a vehicle to get from one to the other. If it was too quick they'd radio another cop on the ground who'd pull you up and book you.

Cheers, Greg.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sun, 27 November 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, the old bear in the air. yep remember it well.
How about the old one used in SA some time back where they had 2 rubber air hoses across the road to time you between to two points, can't recall the name of that one.
I have been waiting for this safety cam to overflow to cars, it's been used to track truck drivers for some time now. I've had conversations with my young bloke about there being nothing to stop them using them on cars.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sun, 27 November 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happens if u pull over for a minute????
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Sun, 27 November 2005 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats all the truck drivers do, you work out your travel speed between the two cameras & make sure you don't go through the second camera before you time limit. This gives you time to catch 15-30 minutes sleep.
But since cars don't have the same problems with hills, it's a pointless exercise for a car driver to speed then stop and wait for the time to go through the second camera safely.
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Tue, 29 November 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"they [the RTA] were surprised by the results. They said people were generally doing the right thing."

Fuckers. So they're convinced we're all dangerous hoons speeding about with no consideration for anybody else's safety??? And have been completely unaffected by the millions of dollars spent so far trying to get us all to slow down???

Its this fucking attitude (where they're suprised we're doing the right thing) that leads to such drastic and over the top measures being put in place to raise revenue *oops* sorry, slow us down.

Fuckers.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Tue, 29 November 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they used to use it alot when radar detectors were still legal or just a small fine if you got caught using one.

They still do aparantly use it in vic on the way 2 melbourne with a helicopter timing you between the white lines calculating your speed and notifying the patrol car to pull u over

edit: the worst part about this system is that you will need to monitor your speed constantly so we have the age old problem of people watching their speedo's and not watching the road or even worse people falling asleep at the wheel more often if people are generally doing the right thing what is the point in using the system if it aint broke dont fix it. Also you can sit on 160km/hr stop b4 the next camera for 10 mins and you will still be goign slower than the posted limit over the average time big waste of time.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 05:06]

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: New RTA Speed Cameras Tue, 29 November 2005 06:12 Go to previous message
this sort of thing has been around for a LONG time though right, i went down to NSW at the start of the year and saw them then...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[MELB] 5 volt relay - Where to buy?
Next Topic:JZA70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:58:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057549476623535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.