Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Sat, 26 November 2005 10:12 Go to next message
Ok, so since the Sprinter has been back on the road there has been a strange knocking noise from the front driver side wheel whenever I go over bumpy road.
So I just pulled the front wheel off then and had a look and moved a few things around to see if anything was loose and everything is tight, except for my brake caliper???
When I push on the caliper it can move a little bit up and down and when it does this it moves the disk and the rim too, and if I hold the rim then it just moves the caliper, or if the front wheel is on the ground then it just moves the caliper.
I checked my other caliper and it is solid, no movement at all.
I don't have an allen key big enought to try tightening the bolt it looks like it is pivoting on and the one below that, hopefully it is something as simple as that.
If it is not that simple can anyone tell me what is causing it and how to fix it?

Also it appears that the brake is leaking from the bottom of the caliper, if I push on the brake pedal it goes all the way to the floor and drips fluid out of there!, should this be as simple to fix as getting a new rubber bit for the bottom bit of the caliper or not? and is there anything I should be looking at and cheking when I get around to pulling the caliper apart to fix the leak?

The brakes are off a commodore, don't know which model, but they say girlock on them.

and finally, can anyone suggest a good pad to put on there?

Thanks heaps for any help and info!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 04:17]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sat, 26 November 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-the leak is probably from the connection at the back and is dropping from the bottom - it's plainly obvious that there's been a leak from the conenctor at the back
-remove wheel and inspect both calipers for leaks around the pistons
-you need to get rid of all that excess flexible piping asap
-buy an allen key of suitable size and re-tighten both nuts.

... take allen key to person who installed that abortion of a brake upgrade and shove the key (sideways) up their date... that has to be the slackest (and unsafe) brake job ever. Sad

as for brake pad material - what is car used for?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fark me, that's a nasty looking job! I wouldn't be driving around with brakes like that.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offense, but how can you drive it like that!!!

Unbreako's seem to have been used to bolt on the caliper, but they are different sizes Shocked

The brake line to the caliper seems to not have brass washers, hence the leaking. And that extra 40cm of brake piping is absolutly ridiculous.

I would take it all off and start again.
Cant believe you could drive something like that!!!
Fix that asap, befour you kill yourself or someone else
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, well I don't know why I thought it was leaking from the bottom of the caliper! It is freaken obvious where it was leaking from! It does have the washer on both sides of the bolt, so I don't know why it was leaking? I just undid it and swapped the washers over and now it is sweet, the pedal doesn't go to the floor anymore!
and I got a flathead scredriver in the bottom allen key hole and it was loose so its all good for now.
But that noise is still there? It is like a knockin noise coming from the front driver side wheel?can anyone suggest where I should start looking?

And what is wrong with the brake lines? I know they are long, but they are secured and there's no way they are going anywhere!
It is only like that because I couldn't get the old brake line unbolted, it just kept stripping the bolt so I figured it was fine to just set it up like it is?

what the hell is an Unbreako?

Thanks heaps for the info so far.
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 15:41

And what is wrong with the brake lines? I know they are long, but they are secured and there's no way they are going anywhere!

Zip ties do not count as 'secured'

If you get caught like that, or even worse, cause an accident, BAM, you are fucked.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unbreako's are genearlly black hex headed bolts.
Used alot in manufactoring and to assemble machinery and custom stuff.

Supposidly very hard to break.. hence their name.

The knocking could be your drive shafts. I had that with my rolla. Under load its not too bad, but under braking or idling about it knocks like hell. So either the universals could be gone, or the shafts are properly tightened in the hubs. Could also be wheel hub bearings too.

Id go down that path though.

Also, extra flex hose in the brakes is alwasy a bad idea. There is alot more hose to expand, and thus taking braking force away from the brakes themselves. It also give alot more surface area for rocks or things to hit, and potentially cut them. If they let go, you have no safe way to stop ur car, i wouldnt like to use the handbrake to slow down from say 60ks or so Shocked

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2005 07:58]

WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm neva thought of it like that!I will get them fixed up tomorrow!
What the hell can I do to undo the brake lines without rounding those weak nuts on the metal lines?

The car is RWD so I dont have drive shafts and all that jazz. But I will look into the wheel bearing!
How do I check if that is rooted?

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leak is coming from the where the flexible line connects to the caliper. Usually there are copper washers between the mating surfaces - judging by the quality of the job, I suspect they have been omitted.

You need to tighten the Unbrakos. Seeing as your brakes are a serviceable item, you ought to buy an Allen key socket so you can adequately service your brakes.

As for those brake lines, well, what can I say? They are awful to look at and downright dangerous. All you need is for the zip tie to become brittle and fracture - then you'll have brake line twisting around your rotor like spaghetti!

The best thing you can do is get some made up. Take the current hose to any good brake shop and ask them to make up a brake line with the ends you need and of the correct length. Will cost you about $50 per side (the expensive bits are the fittings).
71SPECIAL
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to undo those 'delicate' nuts on brake lines, use what is called a brake line spanner, or a flare nut spanner. it is like a ring spanner with a little bit cut out so you can slip it over the brake line, but still have 4 contact points on the nuts, rather than using a open end spanner. also try a little WD40 or similiar lubricant before loosening.

ps an unbrako is a 'socket head cap screw' usually black, it is a brand of cap screw. they are the highest tensile bolt commercially available with a tensile class of 12.9 your normal brake bolts are 10.9, and most other automotive bolts are 8.8 compared with mild steel, i.e. construction and furniture bolts which are 4.6

unbrakos have a very high strength when under tension.

WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Sun, 27 November 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps 71special! I ended up with one of those spanners in my tool set somehow and always wondered why it had the cut in it!
Thanks again!
-Whitchy-
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Mon, 28 November 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I just tried to get those brake lines tidied up, and it just ripped the shit outta the nuts! What can I do now? Will I have to get whole new brake lines?

Another problem has come up...
The leak is 100% gone from the drivers caliper, but I still have really poor braking? The car stops fine, but the pedal is soft, and goes all the way to the floor, and the wheels aren't locking up easily, sometimes not at all? Is this just shitty pads or something worse? What can I do with the brake booster and master to get a better pedal feel and more braking power?

on the good side, the caliper is no longer loose, and I figured out what the rattle was, when we changed over my springs my mate who was using the rattle gun to undo and tighten the strut top bolt hadn't done them up tight enough, so the noise is now gone! and I feel a little bit safer!

Thanks for all the help and info so far, keep it coming!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Mon, 28 November 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pedal to floor = so bad you should not drive!!!!
regardless of pads, the pedal shouldn't go more than maybe 1/3 to 2/3rds, and should be very very firm when it stops...

something is seriously wrong with the setup, either there is a mechanical problem, such as broken/flexing caliper, broken or balloning brake lines, air in the system, broken firewall where brake pedal pivots, or it could be that the master cylinder is just too small, and can't provide enough fluid...

or it could be pedla knockback from fuxored discs...

disc diameter and pads are what gives you braking force. everything else is just for pedal feel (ie firm/soft, short/long travel) booster, you may be able to use a larger diameter one if it has more assistance..

maybe your booster is fuxored?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Stop driving car.
2. Have car towed to brake shop.
3. Pay money to get this abortion fixed up.

It's becoming clear you don't have the know-how to work on brakes, and given the obvious safety implications I think it's best you cut your losses and get a pro on the job. If you continue in this trial-and-error fashion you're likely to get yourself killed.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Major problem with your brakes somewhere.

Don't drive it in this condition at all.

Bleed your system - furthest corner to nearest corner from master cyl.

If this does not bring the pedal up, then I would in all honesty suggest you tow the car to your local brake place and get them to sort out this abortion.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stop driving the car NOW
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL three near-identical posts in three minutes. The Toymods hive-mind has spoken!
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bled the brakes yesterday, so there definately isnt any air in the system!
Don't make me stop driving it!I only just got back on road!
The brakes still work!,but I know what is coming...what if a little kid runs infront of me, could I stop?
I just booked the car in with B&R Brakes for tomorrow morning at 8am!
and I am just about to have a beer so I won't be tempted to drive anywhere for the rest of today!
Are we all happy now?
Thanks again!
-Whitchy-

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 05:42]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 16:22

LOL three near-identical posts in three minutes. The Toymods hive-mind has spoken!

Great minds.....hahaha
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again beer is the solution to all problems

viva la beer!

Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 15:41

...The brakes still work!,but I know what is coming...what if a little kid runs infront of me, could I stop?

No, you obviously couldn't stop.

You'd go to jail for killing a kid and being an idiot.

You'd then be asking... how long can i stay awake so the fat biker guy my cell doesn't pound my arse again ...
and
if I had only listened to those cranky old bastards on toymods i'd be able to shit like a normal person.
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Can someone please help me with my brake problem?-Some fixed, now with a new problem!!??? Mon, 28 November 2005 09:51 Go to previous message
I know I couldn't stop, thats why in 12 hours she will be at the brake shop getting fixed!
So I can keep my out hole a one way valve!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:windscreen wiper problem
Next Topic:JZA70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:24:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059080123901367 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.