Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Wed, 03 August 2005 04:25 Go to next message
FINALLY got a scanner, so i can post pics of my pride and joy!

firstly for those not familiar with these... it's a 1977 RA28 LT. on it's second engine (at the time of photots) about 3rd or 4th coat of paint... so it's pretty much stock.

a little bit of history, car was purchase for my older brother as his first car, about 13-14 years ago, and had some modifications done, including lightened flywheel, modified cam, port and polish job, lowered king springs and a few other bits, used to sit on 13' hot wire mags, and bidgestone SF-340 Eager tyres, looked PHAT with the bubbly little wheels, deep dish, and white writing... until one day my bro managed to smash up the back left quater panel... me thinks he tried drifting, or soemthig like that, and hit a telegraph pole... so dad went to canberra to pick it up, bought it back to QLD, and started repairs on and off... took about 5years before it was back on the road, when i deceided it was gonna be my car, so i started fixing it, did everything i could bear in mind i was about 15-16 at this stage... anyways, eventually the car made it's way back to my brother who was in carins at this stage, only 3 weeks after it's new paint job, humidity blisters started appearing, and it's only gotten worse since then...

however eventually he decided to give it up, and i was first to take it... since then i've given it a general tidy up, changed all the suspension with KYB shocks, Nolathane Bushes and Adjustable Whiteline Swaybars. i've also got a 1GGTE GEN3 sitting in the bay at the moment, awaiting intercooler, radiator, wiring, and exhaust. future plans include a hilux LSD, 4 wheel disc brakes, 16' 3 piece simmons wheels, and a new coat of paint, along with anything i think of along the way.

anyways, enough of the chit chat... here's some pics

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3940/celica65em.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9494/celica87dl.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3747/celica24kv.jpg

These 3 were taken the afternoon i picked up my suspension goodies, got them on the cheap from the guy who owns the pulsar (which by the way is for sale, 1994 SSS, with SR20DE, goes well, pretty damn good nick too), he works at repco... nothing suss lol...

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3775/celica41hm.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/899/celica54nq.jpg

These were taken the night we fitted the front sway bar... what a bitch that was!!! we thought, it'd be heaps easy, not so... either way, we got it done with out too much hassle, few stripped bolt heads and a trip to bunnings for new bolts and we're done.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/9489/celica14nl.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8351/celica31zx.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2343/celica72ni.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9664/celica92jn.jpg

these were taken out on the farm where we used to live, went out there for a visit to pick up some parts from the shed, and couldn't help my self, had to take a few piccy graphs...

gotta say thanks to all the guys who've helped my get this far with my conversion.

84LLA - engine, g'box, loom and ecu.
Stradlater - engine mounts.
normo - heater tap and seatbelt (RWC problems)
Kirk - help with general bits and pieces
RA28Freak - the same,
WILBO - throttle cable
FrEaK oF CaRs - igniter and bits and pieces

and last buy DEFINATLY not least a bit thank you to my good mate, who's saved me heaps on parts (the fella who owns the pulsar)

and all those guys i haven't mentioned, you've all made life a bit easier.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 11:08]

Send a private message to this user    
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Wed, 03 August 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koo looks nice...
lookes prety damm nice too i like Very Happy
ne bay pix etc. interior etc?
ne mods to the interior or is it stock?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Wed, 03 August 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine bay at the time those pics were taken was completely stock... and pretty boring at that, just had the stock-as-a-rock 18RC, which i've since sold for a whopping $50!!

interior is pretty damn close to being stock too, the center console has some aluminium plate to fill in the holes, and the stereo head unit has an aluminium bezel... seats have been re-trimmed in brown vinyl... but other then that, and an aftermarket (15yrs ago) steering wheel... it's stock.

i've got some pics of the conversion in progress still in the camera, as i go along i'll finish the roll, and have some more piccies to show off...
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Fri, 26 August 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and updates on progess etc?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Fri, 26 August 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
progress is slow but steady, engine's been in for a while now, but i've been waiting on parts, which arrived the other day, however one part (the bracket i'm looking for, see "wanted" in my sig) was the wrong one... sourced a new radiator just yesterday, $325 for a brand new 3 core+tanks etc, all i had to do was find the bands, or brackets what ever you like to call them. got them from the wreckers for $20. most of the fuel system is done now, just gotta install the fuel regulator, and i'm away... next on the list is to install the radiator, thermo fans, and intercooler, then i'll be off to the auto-electrican, exhaust shop, to get the others bits done, then hopefully to the engineer to get it passed!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

P.S. i'm a little confused.. on my (malpassi) fuel reg, there's 3 ports... two of them (located 3:00, and 9:00 when viewed frmo the top) have arrows point toward the center, the 3rd port points directly out, but it's got a blank plug screwed in... so what's the go? is that 3rd port the outlet, and i'm suppose to blank off one of the other two ports? i'm a little confused, didn't get any instructions with it either...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 07:07

P.S. i'm a little confused.. on my (malpassi) fuel reg, there's 3 ports... two of them (located 3:00, and 9:00 when viewed frmo the top) have arrows point toward the center, the 3rd port points directly out, but it's got a blank plug screwed in... so what's the go? is that 3rd port the outlet, and i'm suppose to blank off one of the other two ports? i'm a little confused, didn't get any instructions with it either...

fuel comes form the tank (via a pump) to the fuel rail, then leaves the fuel rail, connects to one of the inward-pointing ports on the FPR , then returns back to the tank via the downward/outwards port on the FPR.

There's two inward ports to make plumbing easy and access to the pressure-adjuster nob without trauma. You can either blank-off the unused port or attach a mini pressure gauge so you can see what pressure you have in the fuel rail.

cheers,
Charles.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks great Smile

bet you cant wait for the 1g now - i kno i cant
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thechuckster:- ahhh righteo... thanks for that, only a few q's left... on the fuel rail, there's what appears to be (2) regulators of sorts, on the front of the rail, there's one with a vacuum line going to the plenum, and on the back there's one but the vacuum line nipple has been replaced with a blank... 2 questions... do i need to keep either of them??? and which way is in?? i get the feeling the back end is in 'cause there's steel line, and the front hose is only held on with a spring type hose clamp... surely not enough for EFI pressure..

P.S. got more pics of the conversion in progress... just gotta crop and chop them, and then i'll post 'em...

anyone got any ideas on where i'd be able to chase up one of those brackets (under wanted in my sig)???? REALLY REALLY need one!!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could always make one if you get really stuck. just a temporary thing.

just need a oxy, drill press, welder etc
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
COULD... if i had a welder, oxy, or drill press...

even if i could, i'd rather do it properly... even if it does cost me a few extra bucks...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sat, 27 August 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you put up a picture of the rail - but it sounds like you've got on the rail:
-pulsation dampener (on the fuel inlet)
-FPR (has vacuum line going to plenum) and the exit line only uses normal hose clamp
but a pic would help confirm this.

i've got a rail somewhere but it's packed away under my house.

re: missing brackets - have you checked to see if non turbo models use the same bracketry? there's probably growing numbers of 1ggue and 1gue's in wrecking yards - mostly out of imported GZ1x soarers.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sun, 28 August 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster - given the description you've told, i think i got it figured... basically the fuel runs from the rear end of the engine toward the front along the rail... though the question still remains, should i retain the factory regulator? or just replace it with a barbed fitting, and use only the Malpassi item??

as for the brackets, i haven't tried the import yards, not this time anyway, noone seems to have parts for these things... it's a front cut, complete engine, or nothing... but i'll give them a shot anywho...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sun, 28 August 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well - no point in having 2 regulators Very Happy

as for the brackets - i meant just generic wrecking yards - at the ABC wreckers out at Blacksoil there was a GZ1x with 1ggue , am sure that others have similar engines (there was MZ1x at ABC wacol but had 5mge, oxley ABC had a 1gue in a very rusty GZ10 recently)

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sun, 28 August 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RE regulators => lol... my thoughts exactly, just wondering if there was a reason to keep the factory one Confused

was only out at ABC oxley the other day in my hunt for a radiator... might have to go check them out again...

cheers
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Thu, 01 September 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey - something cool i found was that the corona RT142 5/16" fuel line is easy to fit into RA40's. im not too sure if they have the same floorplan but there was a bit of twisting and shaping involved anyway Wink

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Thu, 01 September 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sticking with the stock fuel lines, cut them off just near the fire wall, and ran rubber hose up and over, just above the bell housing... few concerns about blowing a hose off where i cut the steel pipe... although i pushed the hose on a fair way, and used 2 hose clamps... heres hoping she holds...

cheers for the suggestion anyways
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Thu, 01 September 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used the 5/16" as a precaution regarding fuel delivery Rolling Eyes

i had to cut the tank end of the line so i guess ill have to go with 2 or 3 clamps seeing as there is no longer a barbed end

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Mon, 05 September 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OOoorrrighty guys, here's the progress report thus far.. the pics are all out dated, but who cares...

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/6137/015zo.jpg
my baby on the way to the dads workshop to get it's new donk... that's my old man in the pic...

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8862/025eu.jpg
everyone's seen one of these... but one more for good luck

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/274/043bn.jpg
this shows the old paper weight ready to be hoiked outta there, would have come out a lot easier... if only i remember to take out the gear stick Confused

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5164/063lz.jpg
an (almost) empty engine bay... soon to be home to a 1GGTE, didn't have to modify ANYTHING in the bay, not even the cross member, we unbolted the steering linkage, just to simplify things, but that's it...

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6280/086bm.jpg
i LOVE this pic... once it was in, and bolted up, i literally stood there just looking for like... 10mins, starring at the just he way john kerrigan did with his power lines on "the castle"

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5584/093uc.jpg
this one shows the only modification i had to do to almost anything to get the engine in, and yeah... we've all seen this one too... the bashed in sump, look closely, and you'll see it Razz

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7185/117oo.jpg
again... done, ready to be packed back on the trailer for the trip home

just today i managed to source the bracket that's been giving me so much grief. got my crank pulley back fresh from loosing some weight, and a belt groove. got the fuel fittings sorted out, it's impossible to find metric threaded fuel fittings here in bris... ended up re-using the banjo fittings, and doing away with the pickup point on the side of the block, had a barbed tail brazed on to the pipe that leaves the pulse dampener, and swapped the factory regulator for another banjo with another barbed tail. also had a fitting made up for the steel line from the tank, it's just a compression joiner with a barbed tail brazed once again onto it. at the same time i had a longer clutch hose made up... all the hose work and fittings cost me $130, worth it i reckon. (done by the local mobile hose dude)

to do list:

fit radiator, thermo fans, intercooler, let someone else do the piping, exhaust and wiring.
wanna get the lubrication system flushed out too.. there seems to be a fair bit of crap inside the rocker cover... hmmm other then that there's all the bits i can't think of atm... THEN it's off to the engineers... can't wait... wish me luck

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 11:42]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Tue, 06 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so it nolt up to the old mounts?
this is what ive never understood!
looks good.
how old are these pics?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Tue, 06 September 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've posted the method somewhere else, but basically, if you look at the article on the toymods home page about this conversion, you'll see that the block has 2 mount positions.. standard the 1GGTE has big cast mounts, but the 1GGE's had a fabricated metal item... if you use these on the front mount position it'll bolt straight up to the factory cross member. but you'll need to modify the 1GGE mounts a bit... file out one hole on one mount... cut the brace, and spread out the other mount. and your done... it's easy as...

now... anyone got an igniter lead??? the lead that goes between the dizzy and coil pack... need one of them asap, in bris...

cheers guys
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Tue, 06 September 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good.

something to consider: GZ20's (1gge/1ggte) had the correct type of mounts, they still have to slightly modded though.

i hope you test fitted your bonnet with the enigne in Razz

i threw my engine in with no xmember mods and the bonnet tried to occupy the same space as the IC pipe/inlet Razz

even now, the front of the inlet comes close to the bonnet strengthening rib.

i dont know if this is solely a RA40 problem but i guess you will soon see

regarding the lead, just buy one from supercrap/autobahn
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Wed, 07 September 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the bonnet closes up alright... but haven't played with intercooler piping off the intake pipes.... hmmm didn't think anything of it... guess i'll see soon enough,

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... Sun, 16 October 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. and update for updates sake... i managed to chase up some parts for the wiring from the wreckers, scored a full engine bay loom, fuse box, and misc bits and pieces, as well as the brake booster, and 2x MA70 seats. the work i've done since the last shots were taken goes only as far as mounting the 2x 9" davies craig fans, and the drivers side seat, but i'll have to chuck a spacer in under the rear mounting points 'cause the rails must be bending 'cause they bind when you move the seat forward and back. other then that... nothing really substantial.

she's been at the auto electricians for the past... 2-3 weeks, don't even remember when she went in it's been so long... i was suppose to have it back almost 2 weeks ago, and the wait is killing me, once i get it back i gotta mount the intercooler, and passengers seat, as well as tidy up the install this far. then i'll send it off to have the exhaust and intercooler piping done... i'll probably get it done by exotic exhausts in sumner park, custom twin dump pipes, and a 3" system all the way through, that plus the intercooler pipes, i won't be suprised if i loose $2500-$3000... won't like it... but i won't be suprised...

stay tuned kiddies
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 17 October 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well this is the moment i've been waiting 4 months for...

IT'S RUNNING!!!

can't say how happy i am... to finally hear it running, the catch is, it's still at the auto electricians... and they're really stinging me for the dough... over $2000 for the work to get it running.. not real impressed since they did kirks car, i figured they'd be able to save me a few quid... hah.. not so.
only let it run for a few seconds, 'cause the radiator isn't hooked up yet, wanna flush out the block first... before i hook it up to the new radiator. gonna pick it up wednesday morning, hopefully send it off for the exhaust.

anyway... IT'S RUNNING!!!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 17 October 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook me!!!! Shocked

$2K just to do the wiring. what were they paying a 6yr old $50 an hour to do it?? Laughing

for the price of that, you could have wired it up yourself and fuked up 6 ECU's in the process Razz .

anyway, good to hear its running. mine has been going hard for a couple weeks now and i even run it at the local track last weekend Smile.

nice work anyway Smile
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 17 October 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah... well i KNOW i'm being ripped off, but there's nothing i can do about it... he's charging me $70 an hr, for 20hrs... but when i dropped in there one of the appretices were working on it... if i was to argue the point he's just as likely to say... oh yeah... forgot to add that on the bill...

but bah... it's only money...

congrats on getting the car running... you lucky bastard! Laughing

with a bit of luck mine will be on the road with in the month...

so tell me... what's it like to drive???????????
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 17 October 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can say is it goes......like a zirtek Razz

good fun to drive thats for sure.
smoothness is second to none.

see for yourself - just going for a hoon through the local suburb Razz

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4140027361678016/1g_rip /
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 17 October 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha... good stuff dude...

can't wait till i can fang mine around terrorising the neighbour hood...

i'll keep yas posted on the progress
Andy RA23
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon10.gif  Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Tue, 25 October 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey nice ra28,
my name is andy and i have a ra23 celica which has been in the build for 19 months or so now and should be gettin registerd tommorow Very Happy WOOOHHOOO , we have the single cam 18rc in it atm with abit of work done to it but we 2 were thinkin of goin to the 1ggte in time, you will appreciate that thing so much having put all the hard work in etc etc youve done a great job, if ya get the chance check out our ra23. i too am from brisbane.
cheers andy
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Thu, 17 November 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. i'm MOST pleased to annouce that not only is she running now... but she's drivable!!! that first drive leave a smile that's like a oil stain on the drive way... doesn't easily wipe off... power is farking great!!! at the moment it's in need of a tune, it's going through heaps of fuel, 2/3rds of a tank for about 150k's maybe more... and the clutch is making a cricket noise... like a broken chirp (kinda like a fan touching something) i know it's the clutch 'cause it stops when you apply some pressure (only a tiny bit) on the pedal... is this something that comes down to adjustment? or is it fryed? if so... anyone know of performance clutch/flywheel kits for the 1GG???

i'll get some pics up shortly... got a few pics left in the camera, might take it for a spin tonight...

stay tuned, i'm gonna try and organise a cruise to the coast in a few weeks, once i've got it engineered, every first gen celica invited!!! and anyone you might know
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Wed, 23 November 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noooooo.... CPWS didn't wire my car, I was going to go to them for a MOTEC setup up, but after hearing 4.5 to 5.5k price tag decided not to.

We wired the car ourlseves... :S

Good to see the beast is running dude, you'll have heaps of fun with the new donk! Looking forward to going for a cruise soonish, just need to get mine tuned.

Cheers,
Kirk
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hickoz_bro's 1GGTE RA28.... NOW RUNNING!!!! Mon, 28 November 2005 08:03 Go to previous message
hey guys.. i just picked up a crap load of parts for my car, among them corona struts, hilux calipers, and crown hubs... although i've found that i got MS85 hubs instead of MS65... is there gonna be a huge issue with these?? and with the corona struts can you uss the whole lower half of the strut? or do you have to get the strut bottom (the cast part) removed from the strut sleeve?

PS... to add to my wiring dilemmas, i found the other day that CPWS wired up my thermo fans the wrong way... so i was getting insane heatsoak since the fans are between the 'cooler and radiator
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RoLLa GurL's SxC RoLLa
Next Topic:LOL TA-022's RA28 "Oh Black Betty!"
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:51:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072801113128662 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.