Toymods » General Car Talk » brought a KE70 - opinions for mods

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sat, 26 November 2005 11:13 Go to next message
Hey guys, brought a 1983 KE70 4 door sedan with good ol 4K & 4 speed (downgrading from my 01 Turbo Sportivo - sooo sad Crying or Very Sad -the KE is a RWD though, so thats a good thing i guess!).

Anyway, she's in pretty good nick for her age, and i was thinking of doing some light mods (obviously not worth spending heaps on the car), and thought i'd get some opinions:

1. looking to do the suspension in it - it may not be quick, but if it handles nicely that'd be good - anyone recommend a particular setup? Is it realistic to get something half decent for about $500 (primary aim is to drop it an inch or two really so im not looking down into 4wd's Laughing )

2. is there anything worth doing to the engine? I got no idea about carby's, so any advice would be appreciated!

3. looking to put new wheels on it (its currently got 13" 155's on it - hmmm, makes me feel like pizza - not bad seeing as though they squeel going 30km/h around a round about Laughing) - i gather 14" and something around 175-185 would be suitable for it? Am i right in thinking they're a 4x114.3 pattern?

All advice & opinions appreciated Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When it comes to modding a KE70 the world is your oyster Very Happy about a billion people have done them up and most mods will be covered so you will find plenty of good information just on toymods.
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, between here and the other forums im sure ill find some info on them, just thought id do the lazy man thing and just pop the questions on here, plus i've been having trouble with the search function Confused
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although i dont have a KE70, i reckon the first mod should be to get some strut braces, they always make driving and the handleing a dream and theyre usually pretty cheap!

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2005 07:32]

ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what ur doin it up for show or slide?
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, struts would be a good option i reckon big. I wacked a front one on my sportivo and she made a bit of difference! She definately wont be for show, so more for slide i guess dave. Just want it to look tidyish (which it is already), so i guess the handling side of things will be the main aim for improvement Smile If anyone has a particular cost-effective setup that works well i'd love to know about it! Very Happy
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get some decent springs/shocks, some nice offset wheel an mayb bigger swaybars. and should fun cant wait to get mine lol
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOuld something like kings & kyb shockers be alright? I had that in my ae92 and it made a big difference, with whiteline swaybars. I think anything bigger than a pipe cleaner on the rear instead of the current swaybar would be an improvement Laughing The wheels are 4x114.3 arent they? Go with something fairly standard to the day i think, as opposed to wacking 16/17" new wheels under it Very Happy
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$500 in suspension hardware won't buy you much. Don't skimp on decent dampers.

Quote:

depends what ur doin it up for show or slide?

lol, ae86dave you say that as though it's all there is to life. I think you're sadly closedminded.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Sun, 27 November 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
circuit, drag, drift, rally, hillclimb, showpony etc. there are alot of different things cars can do.

my advice is to get some kings lows, pedders shocks, and for ~$700 put in a 4AGE.

yes, it can be done that cheap!

look for a set of 15" soarer, or 14" MA61 supra rims, they look berry nice.

Eldar.O.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you brought a ke70! where did you bring it to?
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that'll probably be the track i go down eldaro. Cheers for the suggestion about wheels....gotta look more into the stud patterns of other cars to see what is compatible Very Happy Didnt know the grammar police were out and about, but thanks for the correction STR Wink
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 02:59

and for ~$700 put in a 4AGE.

yes, it can be done that cheap!

Eldar.O.

Laughing If you want a reliable package once the conversion's done
you'll want to think about doing it properly, cause you'll want the car
to drive right?, be registered and and legal and not fall
to bits after one month of driving so $700 would get you an
engineer's cert but thats about it Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 03:58]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 Supra wheels + 185/65 tyres (grippy prefferably)
S13 Front coilovers and brakes + custom lower control arms

shouldnt cost you more than 1K and it should handle quite well...that depends on how handy you are at fabricating things tho...
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A setup similar to that MR1jz would be alright....shall have to look into it a bit more. Would there be any fabrication involved with the coilovers, or just the control arms? How much more difficult is it to change the rear suspension on a ke70, as opposed to a ae92 for example? (which i've done quite a few times). Im thinking i'll concentrate on handling side of things first, then look into the 4age option down the track. Keep the opinions & ideas coming! Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2725/ke707ws.jpg

4age plus above mods then go go go
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you wanna keep it cheap keep the live rear and put some stiffer springs and ugraded gas shocks, as for the front well as far as I know (I havent done the conversion) you do a cut and shut on an S13 control arm and a KE70 control arm so you use S13 front hubs and brakes along with the S13 front coilovers but the stock KE70 end of the control arm bolts up as per normal, advantages are cheaper front coilovers and camber tops as you can get a pair of S13 fronts for about $300 with camber tops from imports/wreckers usually and a massive front brake setup as well as SR20 180SX/Silvia brakes are around 280mm and WAAAAAY more than enough for a little KE...

for a more budget alternative you could also use CA front brakes as they are a lot cheaper but still way awesome for a KE70

EDIT: also if you wanna use the SR20 front brakes you will have to go for a set of MZ11 soarer wheels as they are 15's and 14's will scrub on the calipers of the SR brakes as me and Joel-AE86 (4AGEEZA) found out the hard way Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 05:14]

turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately sounds like a viable option with the s13 gear! Should make for a good little package, and then a 4age and i'll be getting me some sideways action Laughing A ride height similar to Corona would be pretty acceptable too Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo_rolla wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 17:09

Definately sounds like a viable option with the s13 gear! Should make for a good little package, and then a 4age and i'll be getting me some sideways action Laughing A ride height similar to Corona would be pretty acceptable too Very Happy

lol thats mumblezzz i think not me I was just taking the photo.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 16:13

if you wanna keep it cheap keep the live rear and put some stiffer springs and ugraded gas shocks, as for the front well as far as I know (I havent done the conversion) you do a cut and shut on an S13 control arm and a KE70 control arm so you use S13 front hubs and brakes along with the S13 front coilovers but the stock KE70 end of the control arm bolts up as per normal, advantages are cheaper front coilovers and camber tops as you can get a pair of S13 fronts for about $300 with camber tops from imports/wreckers usually and a massive front brake setup as well as SR20 180SX/Silvia brakes are around 280mm and WAAAAAY more than enough for a little KE...

for a more budget alternative you could also use CA front brakes as they are a lot cheaper but still way awesome for a KE70

EDIT: also if you wanna use the SR20 front brakes you will have to go for a set of MZ11 soarer wheels as they are 15's and 14's will scrub on the calipers of the SR brakes as me and Joel-AE86 (4AGEEZA) found out the hard way Laughing

this sounds like a really good conversion do u think itd be a decent upgrade in a pre ke70, like a ke55. only issue i think would be the length of the struts themselves. anyone know how long s13 struts are?

cheers
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way, good photography mate! Very inspirational Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im sure it could be used...wouldnt be legal tho Sad

i dont think cutting and shutting control arms is legal

you could just slice apart an S13 one tho and replace the bush that joins in the middle of the x member to a rose joint...that could work

and then they could be legal maybe?

but also be adjustable Smile
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: brought a KE70 - opinions for mods Mon, 28 November 2005 10:03 Go to previous message
Yeah, i was thinking it sounds like a good idea, but i really wouldnt wanna be doing that with control arms. Im not too fussed if its adjustable or not, as it wont be a "drift machine" by any means, just want something that'll lower it a bit and still give a half decent ride quality Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:po-po in a Porsche
Next Topic:Very Sad
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:51:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005530834197998 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.