Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Gearbox trouble (4A-FC)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cleong
Occasional Poster

March 2005

Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Mon, 28 November 2005 10:06 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I've always had a bit of problem selecting reverse on my car, such that I've had to force reverse gear in (otherwise it would just grind on gears without slotting). Lately its gotten a lot worse, there's some of that common dreaded 2-3rd gear crunch, and its very hard to even slot it into first gear after I come to a standstill. I have to really PUSH it in.

I drained and filled the gearbox oil today, what came out was a smelly brown mess. I filled it up with 1.5 litres of Castrol manual tranny oil. Shifts between gears are smoother, but first gear is still a bitch to engage.

I'm thinking my clutch might be worn out. But should I wait for a few days before going to the mechanics to let the fresh oil get into the gearbox? I went for a spirited drive shifting up and down the box and it seemed better. It just wouldn't select first or reverse gear easily.

Is it the clutch, the syncros or something else? I'm not going to try to fix it myself, but would like to be a bit wiser when I visit the mechanics'. How much might I be looking at or would I be better off dropping and fitting a new gearbox?

Would anyone have one that fits then? Preferably Brisbane.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Mon, 28 November 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, you can tell by how it feels whether it's the clutch or the box, and if you can't, getting someone who knows these things to go for a drive should give you an answer.

Does the clutch pedal feel at all different? Does it seem hard right up to the top, with no free play? Have you tried feeling the clutch fork on the gearbox? How many km has the gearbox done, and how has it been treated?
evoX3
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Mon, 28 November 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the clutch for sure
definatley
for certain
positivly.........or...have you fitted extra thick floor mats recently?
cleong
Occasional Poster

March 2005

Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Mon, 28 November 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it were me I'd say it was the gearbox, because when the car is in gear, there is no slippage under hard acceleration.

But I've had a mechanic look at it but he thinks the clutch has had it, that the spring prongs on the clutch don't release the clutch from the flywheel properly. I'd want to get a second opinion. I'll be going to another mechanic tomorrow.

Floormats haven't not changed. The gearbox's coming up to 212,000kms as far as I can make out. I bought the car in April at 208,000kms, no idea of previous history. When I bought the car its clutch biting point was already near the bottom of the travel down on the floor. I have not noticed it changing/getting hard. Double clutching doesn't help to ease the gearshifting.

I learned heel-toe on this gearbox so the clutch probably had more engine-braking stress than it ever needed (when I mistimed the shifts). But I never crunched the gears (ie let the clutch out before slotting the gear in). Any idea how much a gearbox would cost from a wrecker?

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 13:41]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Tue, 29 November 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it get worse if you sit there with your foot on the clutch for about a minute - is your master or slave cylinder knackered?
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Sun, 04 December 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cleong wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 20:36

Hi guys,

I drained and filled the gearbox oil today, what came out was a smelly brown mess. I filled it up with 1.5 litres of Castrol manual tranny oil. Shifts between gears are smoother, but first gear is still a bitch to engage.

According to the manual it says the manual box takes 2.6 litres of oil...
And I can confirm too as I just changed mine last week
fandio
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Gearbox trouble (4A-FC) Mon, 05 December 2005 12:13 Go to previous message
hey mate, ive had the same problems with my 4AFC box, i was thinking that it would only be the clutch, but i changed mine and it still does it. it has actually got a lot worse lately, especially 2nd to 3rd syncros. just wished i had of put another box in when i did the clutch, as now i have to pull this one out again. i reakon best off getting another box and clutch, and see how she goes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turbo damage
Next Topic:4age keeps bouncing off 3-4 grand ???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:36:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059170722961426 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.