Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 02:42 Go to next message
heyas,

im chasing a STRONG lsd to use in my high hp supra (700hp ish), now it just occured to me that hilux's etc run a G series diff, and ARB have air lockers available for THEM, so can a ma70 supra also run this technology reliably, or are air lockers not particularly strong?

this will be mainly for drag, circuit, drift use.

im wondering if it has been done before and if anyone would suggest its a better or worse option than chasing a aftermarket 2way lsd?

also what exactly is the diff between 1/1.5/2 way LSD?

lastly, if you recommend just going an aftermarket LSD, where might i look, and what brand should i consider, along with what prices to expect?

thanks.

Mark
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only if you use a live axle.

In short, no.

The diff tube is cut out to allow the actuator to be attached/inserted to actuate the sliding locker gear.

I don't think it would work if you mounted it to the IRS centre and had it activate through there as there wouldn't be enough axle befor the uni.

Would be cool though. But they can't be actuated on the fly, only when stopped.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2005 08:05]

Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1 way LSD slips when you apply power in the forward motion and when one wheel starts slipping on the road, both wheels lock so they rotate at the same speed. A 2 way locks in the same way as a 1 way but also when you downshift it can lock. ANd 1.5 is the same as the 2 way except it doesnt lock as much/or as readily when slowing down/down shifting.
evoX3
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really dont think ARB have lockers to suit Supra IRS,and with the amount of HP and type of usage i dont think aftermarket LSD
will last very long anyway.Best bet is to weld the spider gears and be prepared to blow lots of gears.I think you con find cheaper replacements from torago,cressida etc.
If you seriosly have 700HP ATW then your going to need heavy duty solution (four link nine inch tubbed with coilovers)
good luck!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out 7mpower.com theres people with MORE yes MORE power than you using toyota diffs and aftermarket centres. email them to ask specs
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nine Inches? Unelegant bogan solution to everything.

Quite unnecssary as stated.

EvoX3, how do you propose to 4 link IRS?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be using an aftermarket LSD personally. If you want to just use the car for drags etc. a spool would be a cheaper option.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evoX3 wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 21:17

i really dont think ARB have lockers to suit Supra IRS,and with the amount of HP and type of usage i dont think aftermarket LSD
will last very long anyway.Best bet is to weld the spider gears and be prepared to blow lots of gears.I think you con find cheaper replacements from torago,cressida etc.
If you seriosly have 700HP ATW then your going to need heavy duty solution (four link nine inch tubbed with coilovers)
good luck!

Wanker!

get the stock LSD shimed and a strong spring fitted so its really tight OR get a trutrack... you wont really need a locker for drift if you have that much power traction wont be around much after 400-500 hp
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Sun, 27 November 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was actually thinking today that a locked diff would be horrible on the circuit, so decided thats out.

more interested in a aftermarket diff..

most certainly not going 9in or removing my irs.. its not a drag car, but i want to run it to get a time though.

cars finally back and made 400rwhp on 10psi, so im pretty happy with that, waiting til this week to up boost to 20psi.

anyway, i will look round for some kinda lsd i suppose.. Wink

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Mon, 28 November 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KAZZ 2way LSD for MA70 is about 1800 for a centre and two cans of diff oil, not a bad solution, probably wont break but fuck me its a lot of bling for a diff...mainly the reason I dont have one yet Sad

with 700hp i wouldnt go for a 2nd hand two way either...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Mon, 28 November 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evoX3 wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 20:17

Best bet is to weld the spider gears and be prepared to blow lots of gears.

Vote 1 for most retarded suggestion today.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Mon, 28 November 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seconded
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Mon, 28 November 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't think it worthy of comment but there you go 3rded
evoX3
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Mon, 28 November 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys,I thought he said drag racing-
you dont need to be so hard on me-
just trying to be helpfull
anyway i dint ask a silly question, i just gave a stupid answer.
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Tue, 29 November 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can find an agent in Japan, You can pick up aftermarket diffs quite cheaply on Yahoo! Auctions. I got a 5000km old Cusco diff for a JZX81 for $1000 delivered.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Wed, 30 November 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So who was your agent in Japan?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ARB Air locker for MA70 supra (G series diff) Wed, 30 November 2005 00:35 Go to previous message
clubagreenie wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 18:05

Would be cool though. But they can't be actuated on the fly, only when stopped.

Actually, they should actuated on the move but not under much load! This makes sure that the teeth do correctly engage.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Newbie
Next Topic:diagnostic codes 12,24
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:42:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043098926544189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.