Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hougham
Newcomer

November 2005
icon12.gif  Old photos Sun, 27 November 2005 14:41 Go to next message
Hello

This may sound a odd one but just thought id ask. I am looking for some photos of the old Toyota touring cars from the early ears in Australia. I also believe there is a photo of a old RA25 floating about. The number plate reads KRH 555. If any one has that I would appreciate a copy.

Thank you for your time
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old photos Sun, 27 November 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, that RA25 is still around. It used to be Ken Houghams. the Director of AMI (back in the early 70s) personal car. THe car was imported by Toyota/AMI for evaluation purposes on the GT spec liftback. Sadly, the vehicle didn't make the safety standards of the day and, due to its performance, it would of been in a high insurance category.

SO, this RA25 then went on a few road shows and then was placed into storage for a number of years. It was released for sale in mid 1982.

A healthy, young, Celica-loving man happened to drive past the car (while on display for sale) and within a week he had traded in his LT TA22 and was the proud owner of this lovely RA25, who'se number plates had been changed to LUA-099 for NSW registration.

The car has been kept in immaculate and mint condition since 1982 and it still lives, looks great, turns heads and occasionally turns up to Toymods car events.

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/1973-JDM-RA25GT/The_88_at_Gosford.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/1973-JDM-RA25GT/Mirror1.sized.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/1973-JDM-RA25GT/the_88_1a.sized.jpg

This vehicle was also reviewd in the Jan 1974 Wheels and Road magazines, along with its KRH-555 number plates. Due to its rarity and the history of this car it has been kept original, with log books, magazine reviews, etc.

seeyuzz
river
Hougham
Newcomer

November 2005
icon7.gif  Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That you for the reply. I am glad to see its still about. Its actually looks better than I have ever seen it. Do you perchance have the contact detail for the current owner? As it would be nice to contact them, or if they would rather I would be happy do give my information to some one to pass on and they can contact me if they would like. Does any one know what happened to his old red GT2000 sport as well?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The owner would be the guy who just replied you. Old man River. Sexy car that is *drools*
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even sexier knowing it has such a rare history.... Shocked

mmm tastymobile Very Happy
Hougham
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Yian.

I am guessing you would not be interested in selling it then river?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hougham wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 01:01

Thank you Yian.

you might have a better chance of buying his daughters Wink

hmmm...... Wink
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you Yian.

Sorry Hougham, I really don't think theres a chance in hell of him parting with it. Just ask yourself, WOULD YOU.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 01:21

Thank you Yian.

hmmm...... Wink

hmmmm.... Wink
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Shhhhh oldcorollas about selling my daughters... it'll give the Hoff an idea! Smile

Hougham, I'm sure you can appreciate that this car has been in my loving care since it was sold. So, after Ken Hougham, I'm its 2nd owner. Furthermore, until December (when another RA25 is being imported to Melbourne) this is the only RA25 GT that I officially know of that is in Australia. And, it'd certainly be the only one with a known history and perhaps the most original, factory spec one in Oz. THe one being imported is with another member and their car looks great, but doesn't have the long Aussie history, been in car mags, and it has painted bumpers etc - so it's not original. Mind you, it is a nice looking car he's getting.

I guess by your name you are some relation to good old Ken? Maybe Ken himself, but I think he'd be a pretty old geyser if he was still around. Ken was great mates with Laurie Stewart (Stewart Toyota) and Ken lent the RA25 to Laurie when Laurie opened Stewart Toyota in Caringbah, back in the early 70s. The RA25 was used as a show piece for the opening, and it was parked amid a see of Mercs (which Stewart Toyota also sold) and Toyotas. From what I've heard and read, the RA25 piqued a lot of interest and held its ground among the Mercs and other more expensive cars at the opening.

I guess the Ken-Laurie relationship was still strong 'cos the RA25 was given to Laurie to sell. Lucky me saw it and bought it. At that time there was also a bright red TA22 GT and a dark green Corolla Levin being sold - both lovely cars. I don't know anything about the history of the red GT2000. It wasn't there, at Stewarts, when the RA25 was being sold.

I have a copy of the 1974 Wheels magazine article of the car, and it has it's KRH-555 number plates on. ALso, I have a photocopy of the Jan 1974 Modern Motor magazine which also ran a feature on it. Since then I have JDM'd it back to spec by putting on the original fender mirrors and it will soon get original RA25 wheels. I have already procured most of the badges (new old stock) and some other trim bits so it can be resprayed in March next year (funds permitting) and it will look like it just rolled out of the factory, including re-applying the original style GT stripes.

The car still has the original tool kit with KRH-555 written on it. It's got 130,000km on the clock (not too bad for a 32yo car) and has the original engine, diff and gearbox. She's always been serviced regularly, is rattle free and goes as good as she ever did - since the carbs were rebuilt and the car tuned/dynoed by the legendary Frank Kleinig a year ago. She's picked up two trophies (2nd places - but after the respray and clean-up she should be capable of taking 1st places) in recent car events.

Yeah, lot of car, lot of history and very, very rare (when its history is taken into account), so I think you'll understand that I am reluctant to sell it.

You can PM me with your details if you want and I'll give you a call and we can chew the fat about the good old days and the RA25.

However, let me interest you in a matched pair of 22yo twin girls and their 19yo sister..... Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 09:03

Hi,
However, let me interest you in a matched pair of 22yo twin girls and their 19yo sister..... Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hoff & I may have something to say about that... we have first dibs on the girls.
Hougham
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello

No its fok I understand and did think it was a silly question, but just thought id ask on the off chance. Unfortunately Kenneth passed away not so long ago. But you are right I am related to him. Its good to know the car is in good hands though.

Hmm will think about the sisters, don’t know if I can afford the running costs though.

Thanks for all the replies
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Old photos Mon, 28 November 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 01:21

Thank you Yian.

hmmm...... Wink

Understandable really, esp considering he's had the RA25 longer than the girls...

Btw river, you know if anything ever needs servicing there's a few toymodders around who are always willing to get dirty, for a good cause of course. And even if the RA25 ever needs anything too.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old photos Tue, 29 November 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well, well.... aren't you a bunch of cunny funts! Evil or Very Mad

seeyuzz
river
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Old photos Tue, 29 November 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please tell me the car is in good condition and in safe hands?

i want update photos of it... thinking of celicas check this out.. thought it was amusing
http://www.classic-celica.nl/showride.php?id=713

hope this link works...
or more to the point go to classic-celica.nl and look at the blue celicaa on the front page.

its different thats for sure.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Old photos Tue, 29 November 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.classic-celica.nl/chimage.php?image=jonathanboleto08.jpg&gally=1

since the link didnt work... just a tickle of what the car is like
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Old photos Tue, 29 November 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stop acting like a noob and press the preview message button b4 posting to make sure it works!
high_card_ace
Regular

April 2005
Re: Old photos Wed, 30 November 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why did you hijack the thread? the title of the thread may relate to your post...its about some old red GT2000 and River's RA25
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old photos Wed, 30 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, h3ff!!!! Smile

I'm also a little disappointed that our monobrowed friend hasn't entered his words of wisdom into this post. I don't think a post is really a post unless it's been haunted by Rona, oldcorollas (my ever dependable posting friend), ke382tg and of course some gutteric comments from the Cool1. Wink

seeyuzz
river

PS: I'm back in Sydney for a few days, so expect to see the 25 cruising around the Hills and, on Friday, around the inner-west.
sagluren
Regular

May 2005

Re: Old photos Thu, 01 December 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sexiest dam car i have ever seen.

Cool
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: Old photos Thu, 01 December 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please keep it it's original colour.....its soo beautiful *begins to cry* sorry i get a bit emotional at times. Anyhooo, what can i say, nice work river, add me to the list of other adoring fans
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Old photos Thu, 01 December 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
word on the street is that river is respraying it candy apple red and putting a 1ggte into it. Rolling Eyes
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Old photos Thu, 01 December 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all sorry guys.. my bad.. not been having a good week brain not working but that enough of the kiss and hugs n shit for the post above.

if rive did his car in candy red and put the 1g in it i think he would have a bounty on his head.
wonder what it would look like in a black pearl with deep dish wantanabe rims.
high_card_ace
Regular

April 2005
Re: Old photos Fri, 02 December 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3ff44 wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 08:57

wonder what it would look like in a black pearl with deep dish wantanabe rims.

Fucking hot
...but
hes not allowed to, must have original rims
is the brown the original colour tho River?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Old photos Fri, 02 December 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dudes it already doesn't have the original wheels Razz
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old photos Fri, 02 December 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Brown? Hehehehe... yeah it looks sorta brownish, but it's supposed to be bronze. Actually, "Samurai Red" according to Toyota.

Of course it will be resprayed the original colour. And yes, if I change anything I've been told by numerous Toymodders that there will be a bounty on my head - and that apparently includes NOS!!!

When I bought it it did not have the original wheels. I like the Soarer rims on the car at the moment, but for originality car shows, I am getting a set of original RA25 rims from Japan.

I'm itching to import another RA25 so I can do things to it, without worrying about originality, and make it very angry.

seeyuzz
river
Hougham
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: Old photos Fri, 02 December 2005 11:29 Go to previous message
The majority of Kens cars were never standard, They tended to have had quite a bit of fettling over standard. His old Corollas would see off the majority of much larger engine cars. A few performance modification would still be in keeping with his attitude on cars. But it is always nice to keep cars as they were, especially when they are as unique as yours.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 dedicated thread
Next Topic:Find some Cover tonight! =[Sydney]=
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:55:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051369667053223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.