Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1j turbo question??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
1j turbo question?? Sun, 27 November 2005 11:14 Go to next message
hey people my question is im pretty sure one or both my turbos r farrked on my 1jz. i wondering whats the bets option to go with i cant really afford a big single conversion i was thinking of getting the standard ones rebuilt?. or can i swap them with some steel ones anybody know of any other cars that have steel turbos that will fit. is there a reliativly cheap option for single conversion, whats needed? and what would be good turbo to go for? the engine is standard runs a microtech ltx-12 and fmic. please help me
  Send a private message to this user    
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Sun, 27 November 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
were you running over 15psi wqith a stock dump pipe?

This is normally a guaranteed way to destroy the stock turbo.[too much back pressure\restriction to flow = large heat build up= ceramic compressor wheels come off the spindle.

Good dumps and exhaust with 15psi will nett 300 rwhp and the stockers will last.The stock ct12a turbos are available very cheap on this site.I do pipes for some 1j cars.

Next step up is a $400 chinese ebAY turbo with matching $350 manifold and $300 wastegate plus lines etc.[edit,apparently some fail early,VERY early]

Next is second hand brand name starting at $2000 for a private T04 purchase.Then $2500 for same from a reputable supplier like Importbitz.$3000 for HKS twins on this site and on and on it goes............ Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 16:13]

ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im only running 8 psi on the street and ive got 3' dump
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86dave wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 11:49

im only running 8 psi on the street and ive got 3' dump

but not the twin dumps...danish never had them on his soarer

unless you have about $2K to spend I would just fork out $300 for a second hand pair of twins
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its the factory Y piece that is the flow block out of the turbos.you can put whatever size dump you like.If you have the factory Y piece between your stock turbos you have a blockage at stock levels of power.Immediately this is removed your boost will be around 14\15psi without any other mods.

Stay with stock if you are on a budget. Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete - with thise twin dumps I'm assuming the dump-cat section of my zorst would need to be replaced? or is it a direct bolt-in?
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah will these bolt straihgt up to my exhaust???? give us some details on the twin dumps very intersted
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting pete, i will have to invest in some of your pipes!
incidentally i was talking to a fellow in japan who had this to day about the stock 1jz turbo's, i think he's full of crap:

"Hello

I know, people keep telling us that you guys can only boost up to 15psi, but we boost it here at 20psi, we just did the setup with power FC and we did the dyno and it produced appx 386hp

Of course, if you don't tune it right, you won't get that to that level. The detonation will create the plug deposits to break and will hit the turbine and it breaks, yes, I think that's what you are talking about.

Remember, we have better fuel here, and we don't get detonation so easily compared to other countries. I don't know what to say. It seems like I am lying to you, but ask any other people from Japan. They will say the same thing.

I really don't know why people are keep saying that.. I know the garrett ones break, yes, but the toyota ceramic turbos do work. We have done many here.

Anyhow, yes, I can get the Toyota parts, let me know what you need, and I will help you out.

Thanks.

Atsushi Jimbo"
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Mon, 28 November 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the interest in the dump pipes,they are a useful and practical mod.Can I ask anyone here wanting more info to please email me as I dont want to abuse my privelige of access to Toymods by turning the thread into an ad for dump pipes.
Keeping it general interest stuff:-
Dingaling that fellow may well be telling the truth as he sees it,careful tuning with good fuel could possibly see those power levels,who knows? I remember the old "supraman" from this site who pissed many off with some selling shenanigans ran his stock turbos to some ridicul;ous boost level.
I think Zoom got 350 rwhp from stock turbos?prolly a search on 1j tune or zoom would find that old thread.Anyway,good levels of power can be had quite cheaply with the right mods.[over 300 rwhp]on stock turbos.
Dump pipes like mine made for modified cars need to allow for the inevitable differences in each car so the dump pipes finish short of a factory engine pipe which normally ends in a flange to meet the cat converter flange.Mine finish close to where the bellhousing joins the engine just downstream of the steering gear.Thus some form of joiner will be required.More info via email for those interested.Cheers.Pete.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Tue, 29 November 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very interesting info. Dingaling.

I have seen a US guy make 373rwhp on their dynos which would be around 340rwhp or so here and he was running aroun 18-19psi IIRC. Who knows how long it will last though?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Tue, 29 November 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well from my research those ct12's are out of there effeciency around 15psi. (memory sux so i could be wrong) so 20psi Shocked

beyond 15psi the the ceramic wheels are likely to explode/fly off the shaft which i figured was not due to carbon deposits but too much RPM! but the carbon deposit hitting the turbine is another angle to look at it. So yeah very interesting!

20psi on those little ct12's just sounds like bullshit but i'm often proven wrong. Rolling Eyes
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Tue, 29 November 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything can be done. Whether or not it is a good idea to do so is another question. People trying to get the maximum HP out of stock turbos would do it but as I said before it isn’t so much a question of if it can be done but for how long.
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Thu, 01 December 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
---------------------
Next step up is a $400 chinese ebAY turbo with matching $350 manifold and $300 wastegate plus lines etc.

------------------

do this way, then least later on you can put a brand name turbo on. You cant go wrong.

cheers.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Thu, 01 December 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2J-BMW wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 13:45

---------------------
Next step up is a $400 chinese ebAY turbo with matching $350 manifold and $300 wastegate plus lines etc.

------------------

do this way, then least later on you can put a brand name turbo on. You cant go wrong.

cheers.

Yeah if you're lucky and the chinese knock off lasts more than 24 hours... which many haven't!
Then you're up for another turbo again....immediately.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Thu, 01 December 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 19:21

---------------------

------------------

cheers.

Yeah if you're lucky and the chinese knock off lasts more than 24 hours... which many haven't!

unfounded bullshit again...this is the third time I have heard this, a good mate of mine is a supplier of them and that 24 hour turbo was becuase some chump bought one off ebay, dropped it on the floor and snapped the main shaft, he then proceded to glue it back together with araldite he then resold the turbo on ebay as a "brand new, never used" technically he wasnt lying, but he had negelected to mention he dropped it onto the floor and did some repairs Rolling Eyes

thats what started the 24 hour ebay turbo rumour...

the fact is that they are debadged turbonetics items as you can see where the lightning/T badge has been ground off...

im thinking of selling my T04E for one...might buy two infact and prove that you can make over 350rwkw reliably on one Smile
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Thu, 01 December 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 21:34

Manny wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 19:21

---------------------

------------------

cheers.

unfounded bullshit again...this is the third time I have heard this, a good mate of mine is a supplier of them and that 24 hour turbo was becuase some chump bought one off ebay, dropped it on the floor and snapped the main shaft, he then proceded to glue it back together with araldite he then resold the turbo on ebay as a "brand new, never used" technically he wasnt lying, but he had negelected to mention he dropped it onto the floor and did some repairs Rolling Eyes

thats what started the 24 hour ebay turbo rumour...

the fact is that they are debadged turbonetics items as you can see where the lightning/T badge has been ground off...

im thinking of selling my T04E for one...might buy two infact and prove that you can make over 350rwkw reliably on one Smile

I must have touched a nerve... are you flogging them personally to be so ticked off?

Not unfounded and not bullshit - many instances locally and overseas of the various chinese knockoffs failing prematurely with no recourse for replacement after the overseas supplier/seller gives the cold shoulder, many before the first engine oil change and a few within hours/day of fitment/tuning! And if it's only the third time you've read it, keep searching/reading harder.

Maybe one model you've dealt with is a debadged Turbonetics, but most are just poor quality Chinese cast knockoffs of Garret models with poor design and machining tolerances, no or poor attempt at balancing the cores and substandard bracing/wastegates/fasteners - I've held a number in my own two hands both pre and post failure and also know two distributors who pulled them off their supply/sales lines after unacceptably high return rates.

More power to you if you get one, set one up, run it reliably and make your 350rwkw but I don't like your chances based on what I've seen first hand.

The one good thing that has come out of these chinese knockoffs for us the consumers has been the substantial dropping of prices from the main global quality turbo suppliers where we can now buy brand new Garret, Turbonetics etc turbos for a grand less than a year ago.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Thu, 01 December 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no nerves touched here, but if you show me, real evidence that they have failed within the first oil change ill simply stfu and acknowledge the truth but I havent found one yet that fails first go based upon the same thing happening with a $1500 garret item...

BTW im not flogging them myself and have no desire too as I dont have the patience to run an internet based business due to the sheer fact that 50% of your potential customers are 16 year old time wasters with less than $100 to thier name let alone a car capable of having such items fitted...

im in IT support...which is ironically less stressful...
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another person in IT, seems like everyone is IT including me Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2J-BMW wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 13:05

just personally...IT sucks the wang...but it pays the bills...guess that makes me a 2 dollar hooker Confused Confused Confused
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 12:24

2J-BMW wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 13:05

just personally...IT sucks the wang...but it pays the bills...guess that makes me a 2 dollar hooker Confused Confused Confused

HAHAHA you sound the same as i do.. Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 11:56]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IT aint worth it unless you're on 6 figures Smile
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you gotta luv IT Laughing
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Fri, 02 December 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i am now sorry to have mentioned the chinese turbos,just that they slotted in nicely for price.

Manny is known to be extremely well informed re 1J stuff so if he has heard of an unacceptable risk or unusually high failure rate of these super cheap turbos that is good enough to keep me from taking the gamble.

It is true the price of the reputable gear is now much more affordable.One toymodder i have been talking to informs me Garret GT series are available around $1650.I think he is organising small buys for mates of 3 or 4 at a time to get a better price.

One turbo occassionally seen fairly cheap which is reportedly fairly good is the brazillian cast housings with Garret internals,they make oem turbos for heaps of big name trucks etc Master Power.[Hope I dont get flamed for this suggestion] Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 16:02]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1j turbo question?? Sat, 03 December 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petespipes wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 02:30

One turbo occassionally seen fairly cheap which is reportedly fairly good is the brazillian cast housings with Garret internals,they make oem turbos for heaps of big name trucks etc Master Power.[Hope I dont get flamed for this suggestion] Laughing

the stage 5 and i think 4 master powr items are the debadged turbo tonetics items Wink
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 1j turbo question?? Sat, 03 December 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the turbo with garrett internals would be the way to go. then $250 manifold ebay item... = crazy 1J
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Sat, 03 December 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2J-BMW wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 15:56

the turbo with garrett internals would be the way to go. then $250 manifold ebay item... = crazy 1J

I love it how everyone makes it sound so easy Razz

I am just feeling this way as I have been under my car for the last couple of hours in the heat trying to splice wires into my auto Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1j turbo question?? Sat, 03 December 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's a sensible way to fix that problem chris Smile

it involves chucking that auto in the trash where it belongs Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1j turbo question?? Sun, 04 December 2005 01:26 Go to previous message
Unfortunately, that is a lot more work than wiring!

I don't know why but a manual just doesn't seem right to me in this car. Confused Love manuals, but just not in this one.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry 93 executive speakers
Next Topic:turbo sigma diff in a 86 questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:01:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060029029846191 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.