Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :))

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:28 Go to next message
My landy is pretty muched finished now, vehicle modification papers are with the DOT, so I thought it was time to post the car up here.

Background: Back in Sept 03 I imported this LJ71G from Japan, which is their SWB Prado, it is a super close relative to the australian delivered LJ70 Bundera. Stock the car came with an 86HP 2LT (2.4L turbo diesel), R151f heavy duty 5 speed transmission (R154 relative), Landcruiser gear driven transfer case 2:1 reduction and 4 pinion 4.875:1 G series diffs front and rear (front diff is high pinion as found on 80 series landcruisers). It also has coil springs all round, 310mm ventilated discs on the front with twin piston calipers and 26*mm drums on the back.

Why do the conversion?: I like camping and fishing etc. and quite often take trips up north towing a small dinghy with tents, freezer genset etc. I was sick of stock 4WD's struggling when carrying these loads so I needed more power. The original plan was to fit a 1UZFE but at the time I couldnt get one at a reasonable price and looking at it now I think I would have had clearance issues on the side. So I chose the 1JZ instead and soon quickly realised how much power could easily be extracted from these engines with simple modifications.

So in the end what I created was one of the best sleepers youll ever come across. The car has punched out a best of 196rwkw with the following mods: Haltech E6X, large front mount, 14psi boost, twin dumps and 3.5" exhaust. Youll see this figure is down on the supra/soarer boys for similar mods, I assume the massive transfer case and large angles on the UJ's absorb quite a bit of power.

The conversion: It was reasonably difficult but there is alot harder ones out there Smile To begin with I sourced a bellhousing, clutch slave, fork, pushrod, pivot ball and through out bearing carrier from Dellow. The R154/JZ bellhousing would have bolted up but the R154 has a 190mm input shaft compared to the 160mm R151f so it wouldnt have worked. I then got a billet steel flywheel made up and a full face organic clutch which quickly died, I now have a 9 puck ceramic clutch with upgraded clamp force.

On first fitting of the motor we realised the sump was fouling the front diff pinion flange and the rear turbo pipe was striking the firewall. So i fabricated a new lower aluminium sump section (increased capacity) and took to the firewall with a hammer. With the engine back in I did my mounts using the original Landy chassis posts and rubbers, then made new aluminium brackets from the engine to the rubber mounts. I then made my twin dumps, re did the power steering lines and moved the resivior to the pass side, put intercooler and radiator in, fuel system including fabricating a 8L surge tank with Bosch 044 pump and wired it up at the same time removing a truck load of diesel bits and pieces.

I then took it up the road and got the exhaust done. On the first tuning effort my ignition was breaking down at 4500 rpm, this was traced to the toyota ignition module, which I replaced with 2 Haltech units. I also short shifted the gearbox (using standard shifter) and added some redline oil a couple of weeks ago Smile Had to make a new panel (aluminium) under the grill too after all the chopping for the intercooler.

Only thing left to do know is mount my aircon condenser and get that going, oh and whatever DOT asks me to do Shocked

Here are the pics all comments, critisms and questions welcome Very Happy

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2592/emptybay4gl.th.jpg
Engine bay after diesel removed

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/6537/2lt1jz4eo.th.jpg
2LT and 1JZ side by side

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/596/surgetank5me.jpg
Custom surge tank and Bosch 044 now residing next to TCase

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/1452/enginebay9ex.th.jpg
Done Smile

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2043/enginebaydriversside1fq.th.jpg

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/3409/driversmountdumps7tw.th.jpg
Drivers side engine mount and dumps

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/3280/passmount7av.th.jpg
Passenger side mount

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2417/sump3ah.th.jpg
New lower sump section

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/3741/frontquater0gh.th.jpg

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/9180/front9ud.th.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 00:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/1075/frontintside6ek.th.jpg

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/4744/turboseats4eb.th.jpg
Bling Bling Turbo embossed seats

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/7066/cockpit7ic.th.jpg
Autometer Bling
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's fugging sweet!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HORN Nod
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front quater shot came up well, I gave the shiny bits a good dose of autosol just for you guys Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Especially the bling wheels

Cheers for the compliments Nark and witzl
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good for a 4x4 ... just think .. you can drive over most peoples cars on these forums Razz
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as nark and witzl said.... that cruiser/prado is one hot machine
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bet that would scare some ppl/ Laughing

nice one bro
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Powerful and practical...Great conversion! Well done. Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know I love it skip! I love anything jz powered though Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fingers wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 11:52

Powerful and practical...Great conversion! Well done. Very Happy

More like powerful and practically falls over when going around corners Laughing

Thanks guys!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Fri, 25 February 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must be fun surprising some people at the lights
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 01 August 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet i like it! just the thing for pulling through those 25m mud holes!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 01 August 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome work mate i wish i'd done this my landruiser insstead of the fire breathing dirty old 253 i had.
r u gunna lift it or anything like that ?

what kind of use will it get ? rocks ? mud? sand ?

also have you done any water proofing just incase you hit a puddle or 12 ?

I hope DOT aren't too hard on you
mookie
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 01 August 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeting this bad boy?

i remember seeing a landcruiser it hink that had been done up with turbo all this hks stuff n it killed some supras n others... its was pretty cool.

got ne vids?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 01 August 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie: Nah im leaving it stock suspension wise. Im currently just fixing a couple more things like fitting a cat converter and oil leak then it will be finished engineering, rego it then sell it.

h3ff44: Nah sorry no supra owning videos. It can go neck and neck with stock JZA70 so no owning, only MA61, MA70 and GA70 Smile
bazil
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Tue, 02 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats some crazy shit! How much are u lookin at selling it for u rekon?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Tue, 02 August 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers bazil, Im aiming for a little over 10k.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Wed, 03 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why you selling?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Wed, 03 August 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip,
Is she coil or leaf sprung?

Gabe

EDIT:Just re-read the first post.

I would be interested in having a squizz as its for sale.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 05:56]

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Wed, 03 August 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crikey!

reckon the B&S boys out central aus way would $#!+ 'em selves if something like this rocked up at their fav watering hole! Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Wed, 03 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ: Im selling cause half way through last year I aquired a spankers Navara turbo diesel, Bundy is now redundant.

gabe: If you are intersted in buying the vehicle PM me. As said it is registered, but not with 1JZ, half way through engineering process atm.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put some flares on to give it a more tougher stance, now I need some big wheels to fill the arches up Very Happy . Engineer has signed off on the car waiting to take it over the pits for final inspection now.

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/470/frontquater6mr.jpg

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/9431/rearquater9hz.jpg
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flares look sweet dude!

you must be hanging to drive it?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That thing looks Tuff Cool, and it looks mint, we need to see videos Very Happy .
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (Lots of pics :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers

I do drive it every now and then Wink

When I took it to the drags I should have got video as it apparently nearly lifts the front tyres on launch. Ill have to get some videos wheeling in it when it's finally legal to drive. If I took it to a circuit it would end up rolled over like that Torana, even the RT142 would beat me around a circuit Laughing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 08:26

Engineer has signed off on the car waiting to take it over the pits for final inspection now.

Hey, I'm in the same position, got the report in front of me!
What do I do now?
I'm gonna call the DPI in the next few hours, see what they say.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you are 1 step ahead then me. I still haven't received my report should be getting it shortly though, or maybe he said he was going to send it to DPI Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According the dude at DPI, just pay for a pit pass, rock up, show the engineers report, get it/car checked over, and get a mod permit made up!

Done.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet, then fit 33x12.5" tyres Cool
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 15:01

Sweet, then fit 33x12.5" tyres Cool

Then tell insurance company.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What insurance company? Shocked
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why bother getting it engineered if you aren't going to insure it?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. If I don't get it engineered im driving around an illegal vehicle. Apparently gov. third party insurance won't cover injury if I have an accident and hurt someone and ill be in the shit??

2. It will be easier to sell.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 24 October 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3. May insure it after Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 25 October 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 07:50

1. If I don't get it engineered im driving around an illegal vehicle.

So whats different between that at the last 12 months?
Skip wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 07:50

Apparently gov. third party insurance won't cover injury if I have an accident and hurt someone and ill be in the shit??

AFAIK, comp3p covers ppl, not cars.
But if they see its an unregistered swap, you'll be in the shit.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 25 October 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah well ive driven the car as little as possible because of that issue.

Yes the comp. insurance covers damage to people. If it is unregistered swap AFAIK the government insurance will not pay up and you will be forced to cover the cost of injury, death etc. Id think it is a similar situation to driving an unlicensed car?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 25 October 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
comp3p means Compulsory 3rd Party, and that covers people.

But, driving unreg'd swap means driving unroadworthy car, which means all forms of insurance are void (if they find out), including compulsory 3rd party.

I've also done about 10,000km and over 12 months driving on this swap, but having done the mod approval form first, means my insurance is somewhat not voided (govt insurance).

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 25 October 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhat not voided? Do you know if it is or isn't, did you speak to DPI about it?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 25 October 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, this is the way I see it.

The mod form says 'You need to fill this out and get approval before you start modding, otherwise your insurance may be void'

Now to me, this says that all the things they come back with that DONT need engineering (ie rims, exhuast etc) you WONT void your insurance. But the things that need engineering (mounts, brakes etc) will.

Whether they will look at an accident and say that the engine swap and brakes were not the cause of the accident, therefore your insurance is not voided (assuming you dont have it engineered) I don't know.

This is obviously only in regard to Govt 3rd Party (that you pay for with Rego). Your fully comp insurance company has the right to refuse cover if you change anything without them knowing and approving.

Either way, I'm now fully engineered, just have to do a few small things before going over pits (get horn working, etc etc), then off to the RAC to see if they will still cover me, and how much raping it will cause. If not, its on to Shannon's!
WA_TRD_83
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 26 October 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip! - good to finally see some pics of the 1JZ cruiser.. Thats awesome man!
Hope to see it in the flesh sometime too. Hopefully not at the lights as I'm sure I'll be left behind Shocked

You say you've been to the drags with it already?.. how'd you go?

Damo
TRD 83
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 26 October 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been meaning to come on a cruise with you guys but have been a bit reluctant to drive the car around too much as stated above. But I should have read the paperwork more carefully as CrUZsida said above, it may be OK to do so.

Ive ran a 14.2 @ 96mph 2.03 60ft

Going by that there is not much improvement to be made. Having said that that run was done with the boost at 14psi, I could crank it to 17psi and have another go. The second time I went I ran more terminal about 98mph but my 60 foot times were slower as I was getting a little wheelspin. If I take it down again I will leave the front hubs locked, launch in 4WD then disenage it (Push button Vac operated T/C) when im in second gear to stop the wheelspin. This and the 17psi may sneak me into the 13.9X zone Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 26 October 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not willing to run it on 4WD all the way down the straight?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Fri, 28 October 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very origional Smile 10 out of 10

any vids of the 1/4 mile run???

i reckon this thing would be very interesting to watch. i bet it launches like a spacecraft Razz

very nice indeed
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 01 November 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 16:19

Not willing to run it on 4WD all the way down the straight?

Nah, it would be more drivetrain powerloss (i think??)

The T/C is probably not rated at 7000 RPM either, best to pull that sort of RPM with it engaged least as possible.

Maybe I will Very Happy
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 01 November 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice truck. do you plan to modify it for 4wd'ing or just keep it relatively stock and stable for camping/road? it would be cool with some 35's and a big lift Very Happy
Great work,
Cheers, Calvin
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 02 November 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Calvin.

Yeah id love to fit some bigger wheels but after it's been signed off im pretty set on selling it Sad
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics :)) Mon, 07 November 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 11:44

Skip wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 08:26

Engineer has signed off on the car waiting to take it over the pits for final inspection now.

Hey, I'm in the same position, got the report in front of me!
What do I do now?
I'm gonna call the DPI in the next few hours, see what they say.

Do you have recommendations for an engineering signatory?

Reason I'm asking is I'm pretty much at the end of my custom 1jz project (electrical wiring left to go) and do not have a signatory/report yet.

hmm... I don't need a cat if the car originally (from factory) did not have a cat? vsb reply did not complain that I won't have a cat.

re: driving without modplates... hm... I think the only way you can drive on the road is with a "Temporary movement permit". and that lasts for only 48 hours I think... but who knows...

heh @ your radiator hose... I had to do pretty much the same, but with even less room!

my only other problem is the VSB did not like my track width due to the rims that need to clear the 4 piston calipers. (rims barely clear them!)... fun times ahead. looks like the VSB are pro-anal rather than pro-safety.

-BK.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Mon, 07 November 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Rodney Style after a recommendation from mitch aka RA23 Celica. CrUZsida used someone else, I think it's best to use whoever is relative close to you as you don't want to be driving your car around too much Smile

I didn't think I needed a cat either as my car is pre 1986 and was diesel but the engineer suggested I put one on as my new engine (1JZ) had a cat converter. I wasn't really against the idea as I needed to try and quiet my exhaust down a bit more anymore.

With regards to your track the engineer should be able to pass it off easily. The biggest thing he was concerned about with my conversion was the brake test. Make sure your brakes and hand brake are capable of locking the wheels up!!
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 08 November 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply, Skip.

Yeah... there's one engineer signatory that lives like 6km or so away by road (next suburb away). I asked a few signatories and two of them redirected me to him aswell. In the end, I decided to leave that issue until the car actually runs.

With regards to the cat... my car is 1985 and I know that it did not have a cat (I thought it was a cat, until i realized it was a resonator), even though it's unleaded. I could have a cat installed... but that would mean moving the flex piece further down the exhaust system and risk fouling.

The exhaust should be quiet... I included a 18" long 3" resonator in the system, aswell as a standard-type muffler for the rear. I did contemplate a cannon type muffler... but in the end decided against it due to norbie's setup (he knows his stuff according to the posts I've read... heh, mythbuster norbie!).

With my track width... A mechanic offered me to borrow larger size (16") OE-spec (for top-end'ish model) rims/tyres that should clear 300mm/320mm 4-piston calipers... but would not have a clue if they would not exceed 25mm.

Brake test... this is an interesting one... How am I supposed to do the test if I have to bed in the clutch disc and the brake pads? get a temporary permit and drive 500km around the city and freeway? heh ;o

Hope you don't mind me asking questions and filling up this thread with my... hm... issues/problems. But it's good to have an clear idea what to expect.

-BK
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 09 November 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your papers came back from DPI and the consultant is required to address:

- Capability and suitability of the braking system to absorb the extra speed potential, a brake performance test laoded to the manufacturers GVM to confirm compliance with VSR brake requirements

You will need to do a brake test Smile
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 09 November 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, basically that first bit of the statement is what I received in my reply aswell. They imply that we will do extra (>limit) speed, eh? hmm... Also requires me to upgrade brake master cylinder Sad Wouldn't need to if I originally had a 6-cylinder variant of my vehicle. meh.

Oh well... I think the best thing is for me to deal with the consultant and not bother you Wink Let the consultant fees roll in!

Oh... I might want (or need) a part or two from you at a later'ish date, if I have any money left from this massive project, heh. So you will get a chance to look at the car in the flesh aswell. Unless people will beg for me to post photos here, heh.

Wish me luck in getting my engine running this weekend Wink

-BK.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Wed, 09 November 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that comment is rubbish, "extra speed potential" they are bascially saying you are going to break the law Smile Don't worry though the test is easy to pass, my landy pissed it in with drums on the back however it does have 310mm vent discs and 2 piston callipers on the front.

Good Luck Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Skip's 1JZGTE SWB Landcruiser (New pics 24/10/05 :)) Tue, 29 November 2005 09:01 Go to previous message
Good news.

Finally got my papers back from the DPI. Now all I have to do is take it to the pit for the final inspection. Perhaps next week when work quietens down Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My White Lightning
Next Topic:rokusan's SA63 3s-gte project....is finished!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:32:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083739757537842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.