Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Tue, 29 November 2005 11:11 Go to next message
Hey guys... I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my internet browser and the other night i was looking at stuff on Toymods when suddenly the power went off. A blackout.

Anyhow, i got pissed off and went to bed. The next morning when i turned on my computer all my bookmarks were gone.

I had also set the toolbar below the standard toolbar to have some selected bookmarks there as buttons. They are gone too.

So basically i have a completely empty bookmarks folder and i want to know why it happened and how i can get them back if it's possible.

I had bookmarked heaps of useful sites that i'd occasionally stumble across... and know they are all gone. And i don't know why. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Tue, 29 November 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not knowing what your OS is - but search the drive for files called "bookmarks" or "bookmark".

on a mac, the files is called "bookmarks.html" and lives inside here:
/users/<username>/library/Firefox/Profiles/& lt;profile ID>/
and there should be a backup file called (oddly enough) "bookmarks.bak" in the same directory.

Am not sure of the file system structure for a PC or LInux box but i suspect it'll be somehow familar.

cheers,
charles.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Tue, 29 November 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using a PC with Windows XP. I'll take a look.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Wed, 30 November 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like it has switched profiles on you, did this for me the other day,
go here http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#loc ate

and check to see that this isnt it.

Cheers
Jason
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Wed, 30 November 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Windows 9x/Me 	
C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

Windows 9x/Me, alternate 	
C:\Windows\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

Windows NT 4.x 	
C:\Winnt\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

Windows 2000/XP 	
C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Pr ofile name>\

Go to the appropriate directory and there should be a file called bookmarks.html

If it HAS become corrupted just create a new profile and migrate your settings into your new profile.

Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Thu, 01 December 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked in the folder that you suggested... I found an HTML file called "bookmarks" and it has only the new bookmarks that i have saved since all my others were lost. I can't find all my old ones. Sad

I'm a novice at anything technical regarding computers. I can use certain programs that i've been taught to use at uni but have little understanding of the workings of a computer and operating systems etc. I have exhausted my computer knowledge trying to find the old bookmarks. :(Sad
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Thu, 01 December 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll assume your using 2000/XP.

When you get to the ../Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/
Can you give me a list of all the folders/files that you see
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Thu, 01 December 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8463/untitled1copy6ws.th.jpg
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Sat, 03 December 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: Well it seems as though you're unlucky because apparently this happens when you turn off the computer (I know it wasn't your fault) while Firefox is running.

Do you logon as Simon always or do you logon with Administrator from time to time?
If you use other logons check the same directory with different logons. To make it easier, login with Administrator (if that's the account you use other than Simon) and then:
Click Start > Run (Or hold down the windows button and press 'R')
then type:
%appdata%
and hit enter
Now open Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles
and check in each profile if there is a bookmarks.html file that is bigger than 4kb.

Also check the Recycle Bin for a bookmarks.html file.

Your last hope is a tad complicated.
Go Start > Run and type chkdsk and hit enter

Once it finishes running. You need to search your windows directory for any .chk files. They will usually be called FILE001.CHK or something similar.

Go start > find > all files and folders and type in *.chk
For look in: Type in C:\windows for Windows XP or C:\winnt for Windows 2000.
Now go to the first file (assuming you find any) and right click > open with and open it with Notepad.

Check to see if there is any links/html type stuff, the beginning will look like:
<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
<!-- This is an automatically generated file.
     It will be read and overwritten.

If there is, close the file and rename it bookmarks1.html and then use Firefox to incorporate it (in Firefox, Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > Import.. > browse to the bookmarks1.html file)

Keep going through the .chk files until you find it.

If not there's really nothing you can do. A good idea is to regularly save bookmarks.html onto some webspace online so that if you ever reformat or your computer crashes you've still got a copy.

Good luck.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 December 2005 03:27]

unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Request for a little help with Mozilla Firefox. Sat, 03 December 2005 10:19 Go to previous message
Yeh once mine changed profiles on me and i was like wtf all of my saved info has gone, but then i figured out it just changed into a new profile. So check that out first.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PacMan for reals
Next Topic:The Cricket or Van Nygen Execution????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:57:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059149265289307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.