Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 22:43 Go to next message
apparently in order to score a bargain, you have to sacrifice a few things - in this case, i seem to be missing the aust ulp filler neck and cap that would be normally fitted over the japanese spec fuel neck at compliancing...

...so seeing as i dont even have a fuel cap anymore, and currently have one of those dodgy servo-spec 'emergency' caps in place - where does one buy a new aus spec fuel neck/cap for the existing japanese neck???

lil' help??

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought one at Repco about 5 years ago for engineering purposes. That was for my corolla wagon.

Possibly Earls might sell what you need too as they do fuel fillers necks and such.

NB. I had to have the one I bought modified to fit my car as it was a generic neck and the bend on it didn't suit my car.

EDIT: mine neck came with a screw on lockable cap, which is fine if you have a petrol cap flap to cover it. Otherwise they look shite.

Another option is to just purchase the restrictor and have it fitted to the existing neck, I think that most compliance places do it that way.

Fitting the "unleaded" necks seems odd now as you can't buy leaded anyway, but I know most engineers still insist on having them fitted.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 22:59]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt need a whole new neck, just something to plonk over the neck that is there - its about 2.5" wide!!

obviously its had something there in the past for compliancing, but has been swiped and fitted to another car for the same purpose, leaving this one now nakid!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

it doesnt need a whole new neck, just something to plonk over the neck that is there - its about 2.5" wide!!

Arhhh, sorry. Then as I said in my edit, drop past a compliancing workshop and grab one from them Wink
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
know any in syd that one can approach for such an item??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto that - I'm assuming fitting a restrictor to my existing neck will be as good for engineering purposes as completely replacing the leaded filler
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I'm assuming fitting a restrictor to my existing neck will be as good for engineering purposes as completely replacing the leaded filler

Yes it is.

Sorry I don't live in Sydney so I don't know who does compliancing, I only know of my local ones. Perhaps one of the import yards on Parramatta Rd (?) does some compliancing?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Tue, 29 November 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al Palmer in penrith does compliancing,

Lot 12 Robertson Place South Penrith NSW
Ph: (02) 4721 5060 Mobile: 0414 434 986

Might be worth giving him a call to see if he has any filler necks and how much he'd want for one.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assuming your filler neck is already out of the car. And you have the time and equipment. You can chop the filler neck about 2" below the cap, then tack weld a washer of a suitable size inside the neck just below the cap (make sure it is low enough that you can still screw the cap on). Then reweld the filler neck back together.

It can be hard to make the final weld round the filler neck totally airtight (at least with my welding "skills") but 2 part epoxy can be used to plug any pinhole leaks remaining.

Hen
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone can find them for a good price, let me know. Currently I can only supply them for $75 Confused
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 11:08

Currently I can only supply them for $75 Confused

Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's a piece of plastic! that's toyota-spec prices
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plastic??? It shouldnt be plastic!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine wasn't plastic, what ones have you seen draven?.

Quote:

Assuming your filler neck is already out of the car. And you have the time and equipment. You can chop the filler neck about 2" below the cap, then tack weld a washer of a suitable size inside the neck just below the cap (make sure it is low enough that you can still screw the cap on). Then reweld the filler neck back together.

It can be hard to make the final weld round the filler neck totally airtight (at least with my welding "skills") but 2 part epoxy can be used to plug any pinhole leaks remaining.

Hen

You need to retain to spring loaded splash back flap too, just be aware of that. Some engineers will check your handy work.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed do you want the one out of my soarer?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 12:38

ed do you want the one out of my soarer?

**cha-ching***

lemme take a pic of what ive got first to compare, but that sounds like an easy solution...

Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries

let me know
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call Chris from southside imports on 9542 4280.

Get a price.

I will be there this weekend hopefully.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 10:18]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A lot of engineers are starting not to care. A few here in canberra dont care, and when my spoonter was engineered i just needed to have the sticker (which the engineer supplied).

In any case a lot of people i know just salvage them out of another car at the wreckers
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just don't weld a washer in there with the filler still attached to the car Razz

What's wrong with plastic? Don't forget many fuel tanks themselves are plastic... It just has to be hydrocarbon resistant.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i currently have nothing sealing the fuel neck, and going around hard corners with a full tank is getting both smelly and messy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What it the legal reason behind needing one of these now?

Its not like you can buy leaded or LRP anymore...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Wed, 30 November 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 00:57

What it the legal reason behind needing one of these now?

Its not like you can buy leaded or LRP anymore...

its for the morons that try and stick diesel in it Razz
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Thu, 01 December 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or do what i did..

rip the whole filler neck out.. cut the top of it off. then go grab the neck from a VN commodore ($10) then weld the two together. works a treat. you get the restrictor, splash back flap and everything.. just a suggestion make sure you cut and weld above the ventilation pipe ive done it below and it dosent cut off quite as well as it should so im going to redo it..

i think a most of the ciompliance places use a press fit and epoxy style restrictor.

try import bits or anyone that imports cars should be able to get them pretty easisly.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: jap fuel neck reducer/adapter/cap thingy.... Thu, 01 December 2005 05:54 Go to previous message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 12:06

You need to retain to spring loaded splash back flap too, just be aware of that. Some engineers will check your handy work.

Good point. When filling up occasionally I get a bit splashing out. Though my Sprinkler never had a flap of any description to start with.

Hen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Intercooler This worth buying
Next Topic:4ac black smoke on high rev's only when driving
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:33:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057840347290039 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.