Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » To Navman or to IPaq?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
To Navman or to IPaq? Sun, 27 November 2005 09:30 Go to next message
Hey All,

I'm on the market looking for a GPS/Navigator... Is it better to get an Ipaq with the Navman attachment or to get a Navman ICN635?

Any opinion/rants would be good other input...

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Sun, 27 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had the Navman i630 for over a year. One of the best investments I've ever made. Virtually faultless (make sure you upgrade the firmware if you buy one). Back-on-track feature is great, as well as the 3D adaptive zooming display.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Tue, 29 November 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got an ICN510(cut down version of the 630), there is a new version of that out now too...Worth it's wieght in gold, easy to use, back on track feature damn handy, and the 3d auto zooming map is also kool.

If you want a GPS, get a Navman, or if you are looking for the flexibility of both then maybe the Ipaq, but the software when I looked at it just didn't look as good, I dunno, go into a Dick Smith Powerhouse(or whereever) and compare them all.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Tue, 29 November 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you already had an IPAQ, then I wouldn't have any doubts as to what would be a better option cost-wise. Destinator software kicks-arse Cool

Unless you REALLY want the combined capabilities, then a dedicated GPS in the car will probably be more effective.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Wed, 30 November 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an iPAQ 6515 "mobile messenger"

-Pocket PC
-Integrated keyboard
-integrated camera
-integrated mobile phone
-integrated GPS

It's fantastic - does just about anything you could want it to do. It's not as fast as some Pocket PCs out there but it does everything.

See if you can get a copy of TomTom5 as the GPS software - it's really good.

Try to salary sacrifice for a Pocket PC if you can - youll save yourself several hundred on it.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/ekkie_hp6515.jpg
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Wed, 30 November 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the 6535. Similar to yours but without the integrated keyboard gheyness. Smile

TomTom eh? The people I know that have Pocket PCs use Destinator. How do they compare?

I wouldn't mind a Bluetooth GPS unit. They cost bugger all these days!
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Wed, 30 November 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 15:27

I wouldn't mind a Bluetooth GPS unit. They cost bugger all these days!

That's certainly true! Oh yeah, have also just acquired the 2005 maps for Destinator Smile Already having a Bluetooth capable PocketPC made the choice simple for me.

Starfire - How did you go with getting the TomTom software running through via the integrated GPS? A bloke at work was trialling one of these units and had all sorts of dramas running Destinator (using the integrated GPS). Something to do with the iPAQ using Whereis as it's map provider or something? In the end he had to do a whole bunch of funking around, spoofing Com ports etc to get it working.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Wed, 30 November 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The internal GPS unit on the 6515 is a standard NMEA unit running on com port 7 at 4800 baud. Configure your software to point to that and it will have no problems.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: To Navman or to IPaq? Thu, 01 December 2005 10:56 Go to previous message
thankfully i work at a importer of mobile and wireless gear... we have the cool but ugly ruggedised stuff you can drop from 2m Smile

but honestly an in car PC is MUCH better value!

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

the 3d version is awesome!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ed Ordynski's first rally car...
Next Topic:Computer people, i need help with toymods
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:05:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045809745788574 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.