Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Wed, 30 November 2005 07:19 Go to next message
ok just wondering (with out coping a flaming) can you install a intercooler with out a turbo? granted you probably wouldnt see much of a gain. i'm not 100% on how a intercooler is installed but i know the main princaple of how they're desginged work.

i'm not going to try this but IN THEORY could you say rig up a top mount intercooler and make up piping so it all goes in a custom air box (prob just sealed box with pod filter) and have pretty much a super cold air intake?

was just pondering on this thought the other day.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 10:56]

Send a private message to this user    
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: weird question about intercooler Wed, 30 November 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can understand the what you are talking about but I dont think its very practical. Why wouldnt you just make up a cold air box out of alliminum and then just have some piping going to the front bar n such to feed air into the box. If you want it for rice factor you could get the autotehnica make a air filter that looks like a intercooler, they do look pretty gay though.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: weird question about intercooler Wed, 30 November 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a really, fundamentally stupid idea.

it just can't and wont work, unless you are usuing active cooling of some sort.

think about it until you realise why it wont work, read howstuffworks.com and search.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: weird question about intercooler Wed, 30 November 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically IC's cool to ambient temp, add this to the increased restriction due to the engine having to suck all that air through all those pipes. (turbo's force it through)

So no, it would be worse.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: weird question about intercooler Wed, 30 November 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know an intercooler was designed to jam coolder air into your engine (colder air being smaller particals so more air can be jamed in)
just thought that if the air has been cooled slightly more then say aimbient temp coming through standard piping come through normal CAI. then the pod filter could fit a slight bit more in there.

can see where your coming from with the turbo jaming all the air in the engine. and hence the reason the colder the better. how much extra piping would there really be though. especially from a small top mount intercooler. (witch you could probably wrap in that heat insulative stuff)

but for an absolute slight increase my idea could work (feasable money wise or not)
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: weird question about intercooler Wed, 30 November 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your idea WILL NOT WORK! it is not a matter of it not being worth the effortt tfr a small gain, ther is no gain! if you dont understand this then you need to work out why, as it will help your understanding of such things greatly.

if there is a source of cool ambient air, then you are better off just drawing intake air from that point, doesnt this make sense to you?
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Wed, 30 November 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Think about the temperature of the compressed air coming out of the turbo. It's fairly hot compared to ambient... The IC doesn't make the air COLD, only relatively cool compared the the temp it started at.

Eddie.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Wed, 30 November 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a hundred blokes reading this thinking if they add an i/c to their na car then they can justify using a blow off valve and a turbo timer. Laughing
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Thu, 01 December 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok wont work, case closed.

so you mean to tell me you need a turbo to have a turbo timer??? Razz
2J-BMW
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Thu, 01 December 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just make a cold are box using aluminuim, this works a well with trumpet type inlet manifolds...

but intercooler no go with out turbos.

cheers.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Thu, 01 December 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you have short intercooler piping lenths...otherwhise your turbo lag will be phenominal...might I suggest a V mount setup?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird question about intercooler and other stuffzor Thu, 01 December 2005 03:58 Go to previous message
Quote:

stupid question about intercooler and other ricezor

^^The correct title to the thread.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ac black smoke on high rev's only when driving
Next Topic:4agze into ae86 need help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:08:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045061111450195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar