Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
drift king
Regular

February 2004
1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 06:02 Go to next message
My 1jgte in my JZA70 is blowing smoke around 10months ago i change the engine because it was smokey the compression was low in 1 cylinder. Its now blowing smoke agian Sad anyway the compression is fine and theres no cylinder leakage i havnt pulled off the turbos 2 check them as yet but im sure its them!!
Im wanting to get them high flowed and put a dump pipe any1 have a price on getting them high flowed or just reconditioned?????

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 06:03]

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew on www.soarercentral.com does steel wheel upgrades for $2600 or so IIRC.

Dump pipes for JZA70 are done by petepipes I think. I know he doesn’t do jzz30’s but does other cars. PM him for a price.

Is it smoking the whole time or what? What colour smoke?
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When idling and when boost a puff comes out its White smoke. Yeah ive already spoke to petepipes so i havethat covered, $2600 is abit out of my buget i have spare turbos but i want more out of them
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the turbos. So it still boosts then? If so, sounds like an oil seal in the turbo. Should be able to see if oil is leaking there.

Other option is to just use second hand stocker turbos but that is always a gamble. Or you could get a joiner manifold from Rex Kelway and get a single turbo setup pretty cheaply. Have to mod intake, exhaust, oil lines, water pipes. If the turbo isn’t too large, you could do it on stock fuel setup. Would be a good idea to get a SAFC for adjustment.

drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i thought it would be the seals it boost fine think i might just throw the spares on
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Tue, 29 November 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could also be valve stem seals...
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Wed, 30 November 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a leak down test bararly any leakage
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Wed, 30 November 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So that rules out rings, valve seating. I don’t think that rules out valve stem seals though as the valves are closed when you are doing the leak down test. Is this correct?
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Wed, 30 November 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats right
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Wed, 30 November 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude im getting the same prob but mine missfires at 4000rom with throttle wide open or quick acceloration? i was just gonna get a twin dump from petespipes and rebuild the turbo;? do u know how much it cost to get em high flowed?

cheers dave
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86dave wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 23:33

dude im getting the same prob but mine missfires at 4000rom with throttle wide open or quick acceloration? i was just gonna get a twin dump from petespipes and rebuild the turbo;? do u know how much it cost to get em high flowed?

cheers dave

the steel wheels are a waste of time IMO unless the car is engineered and you are ADAMANT on keeping it street legal, especially when you can get a big single kit for around $2000-$2500 that is capable of pushing over 350rwkw...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steel wheels can be a minimal upgrade where you can run them on stock fuel system and ecu but then up the boost later when you upgrade fuel and ecu.

With a single turbo setup, (depending on size but who gets a small single Razz)I personally wouldn’t run them on stock fuel system and ecu. It can be done but I wouldn’t advise to do so.

So does it smoke on stoke on startup and pulling up to lights or all the time? If it is all the time, then I would think it is the turbos and you can start deciding what option you want to take. Otherwise, it could be valve stem seals if it is only on startup.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 11:31

Steel wheels can be a minimal upgrade where you can run them on stock fuel system and ecu but then up the boost later when you upgrade fuel and ecu.

With a single turbo setup, (depending on size but who gets a small single Razz)I personally wouldn’t run them on stock fuel system and ecu. It can be done but I wouldn’t advise to do so.

I dont understand the fascination with "must have ECU" to run larger single setup, if you cant afford the ecu go for an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure reg and high flow pump, keep it on low boost (12-15 psi) you will make the 250odd rwkw and then when you can afford it go spend the necessary $2500 on the computer and injectors.

after all, its still just boost, does it make that much of a difference if it comes from 1 turbo or 2?
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really dont have much to spend so im going to put on the spare turbos i have and get a dump pipe off petepipes. My 1jzgte is running just over 12psi at the moment and its basically stock just has an air intake system high flow cat (no cat) and 3" pipe. with the dump pipe ive heard it brings the boost up to 15psi

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 02:03]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that is an option. If the injectors can fuel enough to make 250rwkw with stock turbos then they are capable of supplying enough fuel to make 250rwkw with a single turbo. Boost is boost but the volume of air changes. So a large single that can flow a lot more air can make the same power as smaller turbos with less boost.
In the end an aftermarket ECU is always going to help tune as you can change very small sections that need fixing.

Having said that, if you do it like me an aftermarket ecu will make you go much slower! I reckon my car with stock twins, twin dumps and stock ecu would have trapped higher than 108mph. But that is because of the stock ecu is in limp mode for timing at the moment so that is a lesson for everyone else contemplating doing something as ridiculous as my mechanic did. (aftermarket ecu does fuel while stock ecu does timing)

If you keep the boost low, then you can do it with stock ecu though. Also SICO1J still uses stock ecu and 440’s and has made 400rwkw but leaning out pretty hardcore up top. That is with a GT35 at 27-28psi though. He did say that it could make more power with an aftermarket ecu but as always depends on how good the tune is.

Chris
drift king
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1jz blowing smoke Thu, 01 December 2005 02:11 Go to previous message
What about putting a adjustable fuel pressure reg and setting up for 15-17psi
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Half Cut Dealers *** Teh List ***
Next Topic:3SGE RWD????
Goto Forum: