Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 29 October 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl might need to order a few more parts, after today's accident.

Don't spose you have a spare passenger headlight and those plastic panels that go under the headlight, and also the blinker part that is also in that area. Might need to get a picture.

Motor landed from pretty high, the engine hook clean broke off and bent the underchassie in the front area, passenger guard is also rooted Mad Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 29 October 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fark me dingaling! That sucks big time Sad If it's any consolation the motor is probably going to be alright except for the pick-up and sump which you may wanna replace/check...

Usually I just use a $300 engine crane and drop the motor onto some kind of chipboard or something that I can move it on, and then raise the front of the car and slide the motor out. I'm going to write down a note that using tractor hydraulics can be dicey Very Happy
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trd-162 what shade of red...monza red,blood red....? just if its same as my car it'd save money on painting
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would look like this...
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8821/kit8tg.jpg
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy, Thanx i will go buy an engine crane Razz
sump looks ok, a few dents, no leaks, water t-juntion snapped clean off, luckily that can be replaced and all the sensors are ok.

Dam tracter! what happened was i lowered the engine down and was going to raise the car up to slide the engine from underneath, but my step dad comes along and reckoned yeah just hook to chain up to one hook on the engine and lift it out vertically.

So that worked quite well the engine was above the car now, only have to move the tractor forward and lower the engine onto the ground, as soon as the tractor was started up, the crane whent berserk tossed the engine up into the air and the engine with all it's wieght coming back down snapped the hook and lended crashing on top of the celica body, nearly catching my arm inbetween. Laughing

This happened another time with a subaru engine but much worse, tossing the subaru engine about 6 meters in the air and slamming it onto the ground!! we figured the hydrualics on the tractor just needed more oil, but nup that obviously did not work. *mental note to self, keep step dad and his tractor far away from me when doing 1jz conversion to supra, buy engine crane asap*

Oh don't spose there are any celica guards forsale that you know of?

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah try-162 it does look alot like the color of my celica (monza red) i'm just tossing up wether i want to part ways with a thousand dollars or not.... how easy are they to mount? any dings scratches or anything?
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can say is DAMN MAN !!!!! thats an expensive excersise !!!

and that tractor sounds contankerous !!!! damn !!! throwing engines around !!!!

nick.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey just a quick question

thinking about getting one of these off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-CELICA-instrument-cl uster-with-WHITE-DIALS_W0QQitemZ4572078013QQcatego ryZ10428QQcmdZViewItem

how hard is it to install an instrument cluster. ie pulling old one out and connecting this one up. is there alot of fiddley pissfarting around?

and what is the legality of this. ie setting the number of k's for my engine and all that?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling! woah!! that sucks big time!!

I used an engine crane with a leveling bar to get my engine in and out. Getting it out (with nfi what we were doing) we came in from the front with the crane and tried to lift it. Unfortunately the arm on the crane really wasn't long enough and it kept trying to pull the motor forward as we lifted. 2 engine mounts, a bent powersteering pump and 2 bricks later we got it out. A mate of mine who's a mechanic came over and laughed at us - apparently the most pain free way to get a FWD engine out is to come in with the crane at the non-gearbox end, hook it up (to atleast two hooks Razz) and drop the gearbox end down low as possible. Then its just a case of slowly raising the engine upward and outward. We used this method putting the new engine in and it worked like a charm - shoehorned it in, got the g.box under the chassis, bolted in the drivers side mount, leveled it out and bolted the passenger side mount. Took a quarter of the time and nothing got broken!

Ah well, guess we live and we learn ey?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that angel way is how me and my mechanic freind got my engine out ("borrowed" engine crane from his work)
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 30 October 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer - those ebay gauges are pox. they've just scanned the original dials and printed them inverted. They look p00 when they're lit up too (i asked the guy to email me a pic when he first listed that thing on ebay).

I had a go at making some a while back. I can send you the files if you're keen to have a go yourself.

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/IMG_1013. jpg
(pls. dont laugh)

There's also another company on the web that sells EL glo dials for these cars, i found it the other day and they were about the same price.
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 October 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed wombat, how did those light up at night did u take the condoms off the instrument bulbs ??

i know if you want white cluster lights at night go and buy some LED white parker bulbs , they look good !!! 'rice bro'

any good, coz the ones i made up you could hardly see the glow behind the numbers , speeds !!!

cheers mate, nick.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 October 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah not really after a night glow or anything. just liked the look of the bright white ones rather then my stocko black.

if i had the time i'd try making my own. but seeing as i'm just getting my celica back on the road (after about 3 months of it sitting in garage with fucked enigne) i'd rather not piss fart around with it much more
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 October 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed wombat send files over anyways...later on might have a stab at making them myself. any advice is good advice
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 02 November 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.

as you may already know, my engine is up for sale on here in the MECH-ENG section, i am selling because i have a jap-spec lined up ready to go in.

i am waiting on doing that, to see if i can get a buyer while the engine is still in the car.

the engine is going dirt cheap $350 for a complete long motor.
from what i have been told and my own intuition, its in pretty condition still, was comp tested at 150 - 160, the engine has done 202,000k. no nasty noises, unaware when timing belt dun last however, same as h/g.

so if anyone is interested in using it as a whole, or for some donor bits, let me know as the thing has to go !!!!

nick.
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 09 November 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys just wondering if any of u are interested in buying a modded 88 gt4 for 9000??? its fully licensed and there are no major problems with it. if u are interested take a look at it at the classified section in toymods and its under "88 gt4 modded 9000 urgent sale" unfortunately i am making the sale within perth.
andyC
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 23 November 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.
as a result of a drunken (ex)friend, i am in desperate need of a new
DRIVERS SIDE TAIL LIGHT.
for an 86/87 st162 (the pre facelift model)
emailing me on the_brewery_fresh@hotmail.com will prolly get a quicker response than repling here, but whatever floats your boat.
cheers
Andy Campbell
im in canberra btw if that helps. if you are else where postage is a good option, any way let me know.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 27 November 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fella's i need some help with a few things on my old gen1 3s-ge.

recently dropped another engine in after i stuffed my big end bearing.

this new engine was only ment to have done about 100,000k's Rolling Eyes

but now that i 've got it all going and took it to a place to get it tunned the engine is overheating

it really only over heats when its underload ideling it seams to be fine. driving normall (changing at lowish revs) it goes good but as soon as you give it a little (say 4000k) it starts to cook.
1 of the thermal fan runs constantly. i replaced the thermastat it has helped slightly but doesnt seam to have done much. not sure if it was the right one, the thermastat i pulled out has an "air bleed vavle" (witch was jammed closed with crud and dirt) and the one i put in doesnt have one

the top pipe from the radiator gets pretty F-ing hot while the bottom one gets a bit warm but not hot.

love to take it to a place like natrad but i'm not 100% sure it'll make it there (bout 25mins away)

any suggestions?

also the oil pressure gauge barely moves. when ideling it doesnt get off the mark and when driving it seams to only get to about 1-3rd of the way up. there's plenty of oil in the sump aswell.
RavnuZ
Regular

February 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 28 November 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey everyone!!!

im in need of urgent help ... recently got TRD162's (ADRIAN) Celica ... its nice but its become a pain in the ass these days.

(1) Initially,sometimes it didnt start when i turned the key in the ignition

(2) Then the other day the battery jus died while i was driving ... i jumpstarted it but it died in 2 mins

(3) Same night i got a new battery ... 10 mins of driving and it started dieing too ... the power guage stays in the middle and jumps around everytime im indicating a turn or rolling the windows

I tried going to a mechanic today but had to turn back as it waz showing signs of dieing on the road again.

Also, the car is also losing performance like theres not enough current flowing . Is it a f****d Alternator or wat??? Please help guyz!

Thankz!!!

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 07:43]

ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 28 November 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep sounds like an alternator problem, most likely its not charging the battery at all, therefore results in your car dying.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 28 November 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree - sounds like the alternator has gone and is not charging the battery enough if at all. Is your battery light on the dash coming on while all this is happening?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 28 November 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, alternator. But adrian wouldnt have not told u on purpose - one of the best, nicest and most honet blokes i know - hope u get it sorted. I just chucked out an alternator the other day that u could have taken to get new brushes - sorry!
RavnuZ
Regular

February 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 28 November 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thankz for confirming the problem guyz

Oh Adrian's a top bloke fo Sho Smile (edited first post ... after havin a read it did sound like i waz bad mouthin em)

Yep, the battery light was on when i took it out today

Ummm, so does anyone have an alternator for sale?
Could someone install it for an extra charge?

im really short on time these dayz ... havta work extra shifts so i can repay the loan i took out for the car Smile but it waz worth it

Oz!

CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 01 December 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done 630km's on a tank and havnt even hit the low fuel warning light. petrol was normal shell, so how mnay km from warning light? 30?

i gonna try the new 100octane to see how it goes,
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yours has a low fuel light?!
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance one of you guys could supply me with the stock 162 ecu pinout/wiring diagram Confused . Thanks in advance! Wink

tictactoe28@hotmail.com
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 12:45

Yours has a low fuel light?!

yeah it should come up looking like a gas tank, as for how much fuel left in the tank when it comes up, mine can be anywhere from 15-20 litres, but mines stuffed, but at least i get a generous amount before i run out of fuel.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What year is your ST162?
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1987 here
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car made it to approx 700kms on one tank on a long trip
(didnt run it to low but worked out what was left), not too bad for a 86 model car
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car car seems to be doing the same thing...

when i turn indicator's on it moves with each flash, same if i apply breaks or windshield wipers. it does seem to be charging properly (at about 11.5V slightly lower) but while driving the battery light isnt on.

all this is causeing my car not to start just get the dreaded "click" and no start.

any suggestions? change brushe's on alternator?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 02 December 2005 12:04 Go to previous message
found problem...the wire (assum earth) that gets bolted down on the alternator was connected right and was sparking. so was stuffing things up. pretty much F-ed the bolt and nut (witch is now jammed in my 10mm socket due to snappage of the bolt) and alot black starting to run up the slowly cooking wire's

but took car for a good long run and everything seems to be going good again.
Pages (63): [ «  <  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:59:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.016078948974609 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.