Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Question - VVT-i engines Thu, 01 December 2005 10:18 Go to next message
Just a quick question about VVT-i in the BEAMS 3S, does it have limited mods that can be done while keeping it N/A form without stuffing up the VVT-i system?
From what I read on bill sherwoods site, this is what it sounded like anyway, might have misinterpreted it though, was kinda half asleep when I was reading it.

If this is true what mods can be done that wouldnt stuff the system up, im guessing better air filter, less restrictive exhaust, maybe port polish, higher comp pistons?

Just interested in finding out a bit more about these beams 3s.

cheers
chris

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 10:23]

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question - VVT-i engines Thu, 01 December 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VVTi engines are amenable to the same benefits that all NA engines benefit from - improved intake, headwork, camshafts, compression, and exhaust.

It just so happens that some VVTi engines are already in a reasonably "high" state of tune so clowns with little understanding of the complexities of these engines are probably going to make things worse when they start toying with them. Combine that with the limited number of aftermarket ECUs that can adequately deal with continuously variable valve timing and most people put the whole thing in the too hard basket.

You just have to be a bit smarter about things - people have been screwing a lot more hp than standard out of the BEAMS 3SGE.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Question - VVT-i engines Sat, 03 December 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought camshaft work/mods would mainly be a disadvantage to the vvti system? I'm just trying to find out what can be done without having to find an aftermarket ecu that can be correctly tuned to the vvti system but also still add a bit of extra kw. It's just im wondering about the cams and other headwork mainly.

gianttomato wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 22:21

It just so happens that some VVTi engines are already in a reasonably "high" state of tune so clowns with little understanding of the complexities of these engines are probably going to make things worse when they start toying with them.

Thats why im trying to find out about the beams before i decide on whether i should go for a genII or III or for a RWD (blacktop Evil or Very Mad Very Happy )beams for a later conversion, so i dont turn out to be one of those clowns. Very Happy

What would other peoples choice be....
Gen II
Gen III
Or Beams 3S-GE
It would be a street car, no over-the-top mods, kept N/A, might see 1/4 maybe even track once in a while, more of a fuel efficent but will still have decent power for when the foot gets a bit of lead in it Very Happy .

cheers
chris
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Question - VVT-i engines Sat, 03 December 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as engine choices go, you'd be losing out, money wise, if you got a gen II/III up to BEAMS spec. Consider also that you would only be competing with the top end power of the BEAMS engine, since the VVT-i fills out the low-midrange.

Cams are one of the primary power upgrades for the BEAMS 3S-GE. If you are clever, you can retain VVT-i, thus having the same low range torque curve, but an improved top end. TRD makes some trick bits, but other than that, you'd have to consider custom parts. It seems the TRD extractors are the biz, so they would be a worthy investment.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question - VVT-i engines Sat, 03 December 2005 03:15 Go to previous message
CoronaC wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 12:47

I thought camshaft work/mods would mainly be a disadvantage to the vvti system?

Depends what you are trying to achieve. VVTi can help fill the "hole" that big cams leave in the bottom end - mind you, "bottom end" in a highly modified 4 cylinder might be 4000 rpm. The main issues are really with regard to valves clashing with the piston or each other depending on what is advanced or retarded and at what time (that depends a bit on valve angle etc).

My recommendation would be a BEAMS dual VVTi 3SGE if budget extends. With 200 hp, it should be plenty lively.

The head does benefit from porting (you'll understand if I don't divulge too much here). As for what size cams to use with the standard ECU, chat to some of the larger cam guys (Tighe, Wade, Kelford) and also check the profiles available from TRD.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:emanage on 4ag
Next Topic:quaife rack replacements
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:01:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049798488616943 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.