Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 02:36 Go to next message
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/jonny-te37.jpg

I have a TE37 Corolla Levin (ok, was a KE55, swaped lots of parts...) I have had it for a few years, done the odd track day. Best Baskerville lap time of 68 seconds on old RE711 tyres. I have tried to replicate the 1975-76 Corolla Levin.

Shell: 1978 KE55 hardtop
Engine: 2T-G, 3T bottom end, 86mm pistons,big cams, lightened flywheel.
Gearbox: T50
Diff: Celica T series, TRD 2-way LSD
Brakes: HiLux 4-spot
Suspension: coilovers front 6.2kg short shocks, polyurathane bushes. Extra leaf in back.
Wheels: Black Racing 14 x 6-1/2"

http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/jonny-2tg.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/jonny-2tgbay.jpg

I am thinking of entering this in the drift day the Full lock are holding at Baskerville on June 11. Its not realy a car to compete with Silvias, but I will have a go. Let me know if anyone else is coming down for that.
__________________________________________________ ________

http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/jonny-ae86.jpg

I also have a AE86. Panda paint is now removed and will be painted properly in 2pack soon.

Shell: AE86 Aussie spec
Motor: 4A-GE AE101 (silver 20v)
Suspension: front coilovers 6.9kg/mm, rear springs 4.8kg/mm, front short shocks Monroe GT for ST162(not the best), Monroe rear shocks short stroke, for XT130. Cussco adj. strut tops, polyurathane bushes most joints, powersteering knuckles.
Welded locked diff, 6.38"
255x20mm vented front brakes (a bit bigger than JDM)
Zenki Levin tail lights

UPDATE:
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/86-interia.JPG

The AE86 will be my full race car. To save weight I have stripped the interia. And removed all sound deadening and excess seam sealer. As you can see, I removed everything else as well and washed it out with the hose. I will start on a roll cage next week. I also removed the fuel tank, and everything in the engine bay. Removed wiring harness, everything. The dash and door trims will be going back in.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 05:20]

Send a private message to this user    
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your te37 is TOUGH! love the fender mirrors, and good to see some coilovers in there too. great little car dude. Wink
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's a nice spray job on the levin dude.

and thqat te37 is hot!
Give it all u got at the drift days Smile
Teddy_Csx
Regular

On Probation

January 2004
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice 55 Very Happy
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. Note the old blue Corolla has "JDM" hood, mirrors, tail lights, grill, badges etc. off a Levin sourced from all over the place, some bits shipped from Japan. I am still after the chrome strip on the hood, which will probably have to come from USA.

The white car also has "JDM" tail lights, badges. The panda paint is done my myself in the dirt driveway. Its not very good. Overspray and stuff everywhere but can be fixed up. Paint is coming off the bumpers.

The photos make them look better, both cars could do with a full respray. But they both live outside, and I drive one or the other everyday.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love that levin, hell clean!!
squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonnet looks good johnny.
squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonnet looks good jonny.
squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonnet looks good jonny.
squeak
Regular

November 2002
bonnet looks good jonny.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks that good? Laughing The bonnet on the TE37 is still in factory primer, never been painted. I will have to do something about that sometime, but bodyworks places charge too much.

And the bonnet on the AE86 got scraped by a truck reversing. I just sprayed over the marks to stop it rusting. Will get a fibreglass bonnet for the 86 one day.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squeak, it only just clicked in my brain. I got the bonnet off you! Thanks again. It would have been hard to find another in Australia.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love that TE37. Not as nice as a 27 Razz but very nice nonetheless. What are you using for filtering on the trumpets though?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 4 red Redline foam filters. But at times I have gone with no filters, even on dirt forrest roads by mistake. Engine is still good. Oil changes are cheap for me.

TE37 and TE27 have almost the exact same driveline. TE27 is a bit lighter, but just a little bit too old now to find parts locally and stuff.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i just prefer the TE27 body shape.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 22:41

It looks that good? Laughing

LMAO Laughing
But yeah it looks great
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Mon, 16 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Jonny. I've still yet to see your AE86 around the streets... I like it heaps though.

I hope I can make it out to driftmania for a watch!
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Mon, 16 May 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude
Good shell and colour on the KE55/levin type thing lol! Loving it!
Thanks
Troy
P.s. did you make the strut tower brace?

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:00]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Mon, 16 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should post pics of your interior - it's VERY tidy Smile

It was funny how you had NFI who I was when I came over to look at your ae86 in north hobart recently Razz
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Mon, 16 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry. you should wear a name tag. Laughing

Its funnier how you or someone else stops me in the supermarket, "are you Jonny2TG?" Well yes, but thats not what most people call me Laughing

Interia on "TE37 Levin" is basic but neat. New black carpet. The rest is original stock Corolla stuff. Black vinal seats, all black door trims and stuff, uncracked dash. New parcel shelf covered in black vinal, no speaker holes or anything. Factory AM radio, only 1 speaker in dash to save weight. Stock center consol.

Dash is actualy the latter KE55 Confused but I modifyed a Celica tacho and it looks factory. The actualy TE37 Levin used the early model dash, with tacho and other gauges. But the differences between my car and a real Levin are very small, and if I stipped it for racing there would be no difference at all.
goonman86
Regular

September 2004
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Fri, 20 May 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like your ride jonny. i will be keen for a chat on june 11th if you will be there. i would like to take to you and share ideas Cool
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Tue, 24 May 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want more pics because i love it!!!
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Mon, 28 November 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update...

I entered the "TE37" in Driftmania, quite a few months ago now. It rained that day, many crashed, but not quite as many times as I did Laughing But it never stopped me and I still drive the car everyday without any repairs yet Laughing People call my car "dents"

My AE86 has been chosen as the full race car. It is off the road and fully stripped. I mean no engine, no interia, no wiring harness, no dash or pedals etc. All sound deadener removed, all trim and roof lining removed. We will start on the roll cage next week. Then in the following months it will be properly painted in 2 pack, inside and out. No masking up will be needed! it won't even have glass in it. I have this stuff read to go in:

20 valve engine, all new seals
new genuine alternator brackets and waterpump for RWD
locked diff, 6.38"
monroe rear shocks, for XT130 (shortstroke)
monroe front shocks, for ST162 (shortstroke, but not that good)
coilovers, 375lb front
king rears, about 5kg/mm
Cusco strut tops
strut brace
all polyurathane bushes
early Tarago brakes, 254mmx20mm disk
on XT130 strut housing
factory AE86 fuel pump in-tank
drift knob
leather steering wheel
Cobra Imola II race seat
Sparco 4point harness

So its a very generic build up. About 50 guys in the country are doing the exact same thing right now, but only a handfull in Tassie.

Paint... I am thinking just all white, inside and out, black/white bumpers. Original white is code 041. Maybe I will get 040, a brighter white. But how to stand out without looking ghey? I did the panda thing, but have taken that paint off.

I got no wheels yet. Want 14" x 7" Watanabe or TE37 in black.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sat, 03 December 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good! Althought I think crappy monroes will be way underdamped for those springs, very quickly wear out.

Who's going to paint it?
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sat, 03 December 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did u get your front strut brace on the TE37? is it an off the shelf item? $$$??
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 04 December 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made the strut brace on the blue car myself a few years ago.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 04 December 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn! any chance u feel like brushing up on your skills and making another one?

also havent you done a rack and pinion conversion in the te37? theres no mention of it in the thread
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Sun, 04 December 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to run my own workshop, but I am fulltime for Toyota now and all spare time is on my cars sorry.

I did rack and pinion to my old KE38 wagon (before I had the coupe) a number of years ago. I got that thing to handle good, with the light 4K motor and gearbox, but it had no power. When I went to the 2T-G I went back to the old steering for clearance issues, and I couldn't be bothered messing with it further.

The factory TE37 Levin had a quicker ratio steering box than the normal. I couldn't get hold of that of course, but have made quicker steering by modifying the steering knuckles, making them shorter, and at a cirtain angle. Sounds bad I know (cut and weld) but I have tested this a fair bit with different setups. I get some good drift angles, lots of lock! But I admit, its probably less than perfect.

The AE86 has powersteering knuckles, and feels pretty good just like that. I will get it on the wheel alignment again oneday and test for bump steer and steering lock etc.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Tue, 06 December 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boths your cars are awesome. congrats
PERTANO
Occasional Poster

February 2005

Re: Jonnys TE37, and AE86 Wed, 07 December 2005 16:19 Go to previous message
That TE37 is the sh*t!!! I'm also building a TE37, but here in the U.S. I can help you out with those chrome pieces on the hood if you need them. There are plenty of TE31's to pull them off of over here. I just wanted to compliment you on your car though. Very very nice.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my tubbed KE10
Next Topic:My cars!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:21:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056672096252441 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.