Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
71SPECIAL
Occasional Poster

November 2005
2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 02:00 Go to next message
i have just put a running 2tg into my ae71. all bolted up no probs, fuel altenator and starter all compatible.

cranked for ages, didn't start. changed plugs and reset timing to what was supposedly 0 deg btdc. ran for periods of 15 sec at a time, feathering the throttle, wouldn't idle. gave it heaps af advance, between 16 and guessing 30 dg btdc, and started to run better. held a high idle, wouldn't rev over 4000 rpm. running real rough, about two or three cylinders.

checked each lead with a timing light, very intermittent spark on all cylinders including coil lead. and at varied rev ranges too.

using the same coil as off running motor, with condensor and bellis resistor etc.

only exhaust is extractors, not sure if less backpressure could be affecting it this much.

that's all i can think of, any other suggestions please let me know. i appreciate all help.

(i have cleaned dizzy cap and rotor button, AE71 coil, still running the same.)
  Send a private message to this user    
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if timing is correct, leads are working fine and spark is strong that narrows it down to plugs, have u tried new ones yet?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carb or EFI?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you remember to bolt up the earth lead to the block??

if it is carb, feathering the throttle sound slike blocked idle jet.. if it's twin carb, maybe just one of the idle jets is blocked.

hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse: Timing is wierd because it will run from a whole range of advance from like 10-25. spark is fairly good aswell
MrShin: 40mm Solexes
Oldcorollas: Yes we have run earth leads from block and the head aswell. i wouldn't think the idle jet would be blocked because it was running fine in a KE25 a few days ago.
71special is going to take it somwhere to get the carbs tuned and a diagnostic done and that should be able to fix it up. we drove it yesterday but it just run very poorly and backfired alot. we still don't have the exhaust joined up yet as no shops were open so is it possible the lack of backpressure would be making it run poorly?
Cheers, Calvin
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Mon, 05 December 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Calvin,

Lack of exhaust should not effect how the motor is running.

Is it possible the balance between carbies is out and causing one to be completly closed off?

Check all the hoses that connect to the carbies and manifold. Sounds like there could be a big vacuum leak which causes it to run lean which will also throw the timing out.

Check the fuel pump and lines. Could be not getting enough fuel.

Regards

Rodger
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Mon, 05 December 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could your dizzy maybe be just a tooth out? my 2tgeu wouldnt idle or rev proper like that. just a sujestion(spelling??lol)
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 2TG into AE71 igniion problems please help.this is baffling me!!! Mon, 05 December 2005 05:25 Go to previous message
yrhkira: will check the vacuum lines and make sure they are all connected and not blocked. have just put on new fuel lines as the old ones were very worn.
cooter: can't be that because we have left that the same as it was in other car. did not take it off or anything.
Cheers guys, Calvin Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:flexible dipsticks
Next Topic:1JZGTE 5 spd gear ratios
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:01:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047271251678467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.