Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 24 November 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the move to a toyota only sale is warranted, as even if the person trying to sell it is a long standing member of the forums, noobs always jump in and flame them for selling a no toyota based car anyway.

Its gonna stop a lot of shit fights and just lighten the load on mods a bit.

Sure there are a few issues with the new forums all in all though they are great, not to mention a great source of info.
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 24 November 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A lot of debate has bounced back and forth so far, and I'm not even going to try to respond to all of it and will refrain from entering into too much of the discussion so far. Below are my thoughts on your initial post. I often refrain from replying to a lot of controversial things on these forums due to my position on the Board requiring me to remain diplomatic about things. In this case, since you have been so frank with us, I shall do the same.

4DaDrift wrote on Wed, 23 November 2005 19:48

ok toymods board
serisouly,
how many more of the original and old timers crew are the current board going to drive away ?

You keep harping on this notion of us "driving old timers away". Just out of interest - how many of these originals and old timers are you still in touch with? Now - If you're unhappy with that number, please think seriously about whether you think this is the fault of the Board or your own.

For a lot of people, the decision to retain an involvement in the club is based on a lot of things, probably the least of which has anything at all to do with the sign-up process for the forums! MOST people's lives are governed by a lot of other things as well. Growing families, changing work commitments, different hobbies etc all play an important part in this, and it's up to the individual to decide which areas of their lives they are going to prioritise.

Quote:

by memory there are virtually no members left from those from the original icq groups that were before my time (1st few months from original conception) here and not all are active members in these forums (which were created to replace the toymods car club icq groups which changed to yahoo groups when icq sold out) so effectively this is an appendage of the toymods car club and not a seperate entity

A lot of old timers (yes I have met, spoken to and discussed this with some of them) are not active on the forums because of the degrade in quality which they have seen on the forums.

From what i can see you are quick to point out that we are driving people away, yet if we try and do anything to change the state of the forums you accuse us of not being welcoming or encouraging to new members.. Please explain your logic, because from where I stand it is fundamentally flawed. Which side of the fence would you prefer to sit on?

Quote:

it is the current main form of new members and recruiting
id imagine (w/o privelaged info like financial details) that it also is the main fundraising form for the car club as well
seriously, is this an appendage of toymods car club or a totally seperate eitnity ?
make your minds up and reflect this accordingly in the registered url

This has been addressed by others already. Membership and Financial reports are given at monthly meetings and are open to club members.

Quote:

not everyone is as high and almighty as those in the favourable list of the current board or i should elaborate further, specific majority of members

Maybe I'm missing something here, however it seems as though you're upset because you're not as "in the loop" as some people who participate in club events and contribute in ways other than to whinge and bitch and moan.

Quote:

how can they prove themselves if theyre riddiculed from the onset and not mentored

How can we retain the long term, old-timers etc, if what the majority of them want is a higher quality technical content? I know of at least one very early club member and ex board member who basically got fed up with the forums as people (some n00bs) seem unwilling to try and help themselves anymore. Instead of doing some research and trying to learn something for themselves, they will simply join a forum and ask a question that they probably could have found the answer to without even trying that hard. These long term members will then be told to go and get fucked, for suggesting that these new members try to find the answer first. Again - We can try and promote a higher technical knowledge base and keep more of these long term members around, but it seems that won't satisfy some others..

Quote:

the new forums is a good start yet misguided
people are uncomfortable sharing details with financial institutions so what gives the curent board the right to demand this from old and new users alike

Said people should be less freakin' paranoid.

Quote:

mind you, i can appreciate that lawsuits against dodgy sellers in here are easier with contact details yet these are unsubstanciated at best and at worse it means toymods are breachign the privacy act to cofnirm these details

As already mentioned - We will not be divulging any personal details obtained during signup unless this information is demanded by a court/law enforcement body.

Quote:

my sig shows the only choice those not happy with the current setup have to make a real difference

I truly believe you really do have too much free time. Most normal people are too busy with their own lives to constantly be criticising government/authority/any other body for all the problems in the world. The Toymods Board is not a body of FASCISTS, nor is there any political alliance that I am aware of.

Quote:

if mods have a prob , try approaching me first so a compramise can be reached like mature adults rather than weilding a big stick that reflects the egos of some in the position of power and possibly is used to substitutean insecurity complex for whatever reasons.....
goes a great distance towards avoiding bad blood and allowing adults to wash out bad blood and resolve issue between them that then isnt carried over to the whole forums and affects everyone

I'm not going to bother with this one.. I'm having enough trouble trying to keep reasonably calm here and I don't think I can keep it up much longer if I try and respond to coments such as this.

Basically, the above thoughts are my own and I do not want anybody to try and claim that they represent the position of the rest of the Toymods Board. I'm going to try and refrain from entering further debate on anything said above as I don't think it will be constructive. I've said most of what I feel and will leave it at that.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Fri, 25 November 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Wed, 23 November 2005 19:48

by memory there are virtually no members left from those from the original icq groups that were before my time (1st few months from original conception) here and not all are active members in these forums

/waves hand...

have you ever actually looked at the pics from the FIRST toymods cruise to wisemans ferry? see a familiar shitbox KE15 there? huh? huh?

Rolling Eyes noob Razz heh heh
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Fri, 25 November 2005 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I am an old timer.... I've contributed to the tech articles (albeit a pretty useless one considering many of you don't drive a Camry) but I find it a bit worrying giving away my home address though I have put in a PO Box and have not been approved to post as of now.

However I would like to be a part of the new forums but I do not fall into the category of modifiers (how much can you modify a RAV4 anyway??!!??). I am here because of the nature of the industry I am in requires me to keep a tab on the trends that can (or cannot) directly affect you guys as a consumer. I had been a financial member years ago but fell out because I had not felt the membership benefitted me as a non agressive modifier (as well as buying a non Toyota in between the periods until now) and becomes less so as time goes on.

Now how does one maintain a membership of the new forums without giving too much away? Probably no chance...
Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 26 November 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think i'm one of the old timers (member #6 i think) that you're talking about and I feel Stewart nailed it with this comment.

Quote:

what pushes old timers away is the proliferation of morons who post anything and everything they think of, reply with crap when they don't actually know it to be true, and generally bring the level of technical content down.

In my case that is spot on and has nothing to do with the board.

From memory the forums were initially set up as a more organised way of discussing ideas, sharing knowledge and organising meets than the yahoo group. Receiving hundreds of emails a day and having no way of opting out of a discussion thread if you had no interest was painfull. But the way the forums are now has outgrown the current medium, the sheer volume of threads makes it impossible for any normal person to keep up with and contribute anything of value. I certainly have better things to do than plough through the crap.

The problem is compounded when you have thread headings like "help needed plz", if the last comment wasn't by Stewart I wouldn't have bothered to look. Post something like that on Performance Forums and you'll get verbally beaten to a pulp, ridiculed and humiliated. THEN they move the thread to "The Pool Room" so the ridicule and humiliation is preserved for all eternity. In my opinion it works, the bullshit level is limited to genuine humour.

Back to the point, the move to the new forums and making people accountable by forcing them to provide personal info is the best decision yet. I for one will be contributing more and I know of another guy with a wealth of knowledge that has signed up after being away for years. Sure it's still open to abuse but what is the next level? paid members only? Wouldn't that fire a few people up.

<cranky_bastard> As an additon i'd like to see the mods lighten up on limiting the flaming. If someone says something stupid they should get flamed for it, if they learn from the experience and stick around for another go then good for them. Alan is a classic example, that guy took some serious crap off some of us and gave it back in turn.
Yeah I know, can't do that, have to be sensitive to peoples feelings and make them feel good about themselves.
</cranky_bastard>

Quote:

I know of at least one very early club member and ex board member who basically got fed up with the forums as people (some n00bs) seem unwilling to try and help themselves anymore. Instead of doing some research and trying to learn something for themselves, they will simply join a forum and ask a question that they probably could have found the answer to without even trying that hard. These long term members will then be told to go and get fucked, for suggesting that these new members try to find the answer first.

Gee Lucid, you wouldn't be talking about me would you? Cranky old prick aren't I... I'll add that "research" goes a lot further than searching the net. Try things like putting some tools in a box, pay the $2 to get into Pick and Paymore and spend the day swapping bits from 1 wreck to another. It's a fun and educational experience.

Darren.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 26 November 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darren wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 11:36

I'll add that "research" goes a lot further than searching the net. Try things like putting some tools in a box, pay the $2 to get into Pick and Paymore and spend the day swapping bits from 1 wreck to another. It's a fun and educational experience.

Agree x eLEVENTY BILLION percent

This is how i started, and that's the start of how i've learnt almost everything I know today.

Might i note.... that also involved at least one 6 hour stint on a 36degree day!!

I'm not as old school as Darren, Oldcorrolas, Rod, etc (i joined the forums just after these ones opened, July 2002).... but i started with almost no idea, took the online beatings, read 20000 times more than i posted, went to piccies every 2nd weekend..... and here I am today Smiley =

Darren - i like the cut of your jib mate Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2005 08:12]

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 26 November 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 19:11

I'll add that "research" goes a lot further than searching the net. Try things like putting some tools in a box, pay the $2 to get into Pick and Paymore and spend the day swapping bits from 1 wreck to another. It's a fun and educational experience.

This is how i started, and that's the start of how i've learnt almost everything I know today.

Might i note.... that also involved at least one 6 hour stint on a 36degree day!!

I'm not as old school as Darren, Oldcorrolas, Rod, etc (i joined the forums just after these ones opened, July 2002).... but i started with almost no idea, took the online beatings, read 20000 times more than i posted, went to piccies every 2nd weekend..... and here I am today Smiley =

Ill second that. Piccies is the bomb and the best place to learn becuase you really havent got much to loose as far as having a go is concenred!

on another note its good to see your still around Darren and even better to hear you are going to be contributing more on the new forums because i know i learnt ALOT jsut by sitting in your lounge room for a couple of hours chatting away all that time ago!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 26 November 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

<cranky_bastard> As an additon i'd like to see the mods lighten up on limiting the flaming. If someone says something stupid they should get flamed for it, if they learn from the experience and stick around for another go then good for them. Alan is a classic example, that guy took some serious crap off some of us and gave it back in turn.
Yeah I know, can't do that, have to be sensitive to peoples feelings and make them feel good about themselves.
</cranky_bastard>

Yes.. but I was right and you where wrong Smile

anyway I personaly think toymods is too big for its own good the guys that actualy worked on and cared about there cars are gone! replaced by dum fuck drift tossers that brag about geting there smashed up POS sideways.

All I can say is Goodbye!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sun, 27 November 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mean the forum or the club Allan ..

I dont see many " drifters " in the club - most the guys who post seem more into Drags if anything and have equally quick and good looking cars..

Less wookies are good IMHO - as is a helping hand when offered , but im already over on the other forum , actively posting , so yeah , all this debate really doesnt concern me - Seems good over there so far , Except a little quiet at times , running in tandem with here
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sun, 27 November 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty much all of it is fucked Stu! prefer to hang around serious car people and have bbq's, talk car shit with genuine guys - the type that dont run welded diffs on the street!
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sun, 27 November 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried to sign up to new forums with legit details to get a response of "fake details". Thought I might air it here for a response. From what i've seen the board doesn't appear to be to bad. keep up good work.

PS allan, not everyone into drift is a gimp!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Mon, 28 November 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 19:11

i always wanted them to set aside an area for camping... maybe a BBQ area and a big beer fridge also... you could spend days out there Very Happy
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Mon, 28 November 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 16:38

you could spend days out there Very Happy

And a telescope for the night time - especailly under real black skies. Wonderful stuff!!!

Give me a classic Toyota and a Zep CD to drive her by - plus others with a similar interest.

seeyuzz
river
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Tue, 29 November 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am simply astounded at how selfish 4dadrift is - dude, how much of these peoples time have you completely wasted by forcing them to justify and explain things again and again. youre the only protagonist here, yet have drawn how many people into reading your crap and writing polite explinations? for what end? who do you represent? what right do you have to claim to be the 'old timers' voice??

get with the program or fuck off dude, i thought it would be pretty simple to comprehend.

Rolling Eyes
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Tue, 29 November 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm Ok.
I have only read about 1/4 of the dribble on here but that is really all it is. It's very very simple.

This car Club is MORE about the Financial members who not only take the Time to join the club and the responsibility of paying for that privilege, But they are who Make it what it is.

Not only do we pay for these Forums that you are filling up with crap, but also for the things that you enjoy. take the BBQ and event's and Cruises??? Do you think that there would be any these without the current board or the financial support of the current members.

I seem to feel that alot of the people in this thread all need to grow up abit. These forums are only as good or as bad as you make them, you are the people that post in them.

But hey by all means become Financial members of the club, Earn the right to be on the bored, then you will find out just how hard they work just to have people just like yourself ridicule you just for trying to keep things under control.
DavGT4
Regular

I supported Toymods
Toymods Special Events Coordinator

March 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Tue, 29 November 2005 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As most would know, I don't get a chance to get on the forums as often as I'd like...
I've just lost hours of my life reading to the end of this thread, and for what... to justify to one person his insecurities and hardship, because the current board aren't able to control the 3000 odd registered forum users and cater/taylor the Club to how he see's fit.

Since joining the club 3 yrs ago, I've seen it grow in quality and stature, due to tireless efforts from Toymods members and the board who continually volunteer ideas and whatever spare time they have, to improve on what is already a great Club. The new website/forums is one of these marvels, being the engine to claim back what you say has been lost. Given a litte time and understanding, it will benifit the Toymods and greater Toyota community much better than before.

... get out from behind the keyboard and try to get to some of the meetings, cruises or events and see for yourself how it is in the real world!

My 2 cents!

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 17:23]

V8soarerman
Newcomer

Banned user

November 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Wed, 30 November 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 00:59] by Moderator

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Wed, 30 November 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrats to the quick action of the mods to get rid of our resident troll for the day. Seriously you guys have to put up with so much shit and I commend you for the efforts in keeping the forum running.

Thank god for the new forums and they're sign up process as simply people like V8soarerman would never signup. ATM the sooner these forums are put to rest the better I think.

In the last week they're has been an influx of trolls and with the Chrissie holidays coming I can only dread what will happen then.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 01:05]

dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Wed, 30 November 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys, i'm fairly new to this forum and was looking forward to joining the new one as it looks to be a better setup than here, but when going to register it asks for my home address,since i didnt put it i was rejected, now i don't know about you,but i won't put my address anywhere on the net, and this site cannot guarantee 100% that it is safe.

Some have said that the address requirement is so that IF someone gets ripped off the mods can give the info to police etc,let me just say, that this IS NOT the responsibility of the site admin etc. If there is a dispute the admin team should give the Ip address to the police who then retrieve the address from the isp

I can understand that it makes people responsible for what they do on here(bad trading etc) btu there is another side to it,,.........ok, so far i have posted up a couple of pics of my project car,a tubbed KE10, and was prepared to do a full build up thread on it, but i find it disturbing that someone could probably hack the site and database, get my address and steal parts ,tools,etc from my house.

Maybe some of you could benefit from seeing my buildup as i do all the work myself(yes, everything)and ive been modifying cars as a job for over 10 years in all different areas, but if i have to give my address to do that,i think ill pass thankyou!!!

HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Wed, 30 November 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 11:43

Congrats to the quick action of the mods to get rid of our resident troll for the day. Seriously you guys have to put up with so much shit and I commend you for the efforts in keeping the forum running.

Thank god for the new forums and they're sign up process as simply people like V8soarerman would never signup. ATM the sooner these forums are put to rest the better I think.

In the last week they're has been an influx of trolls and with the Chrissie holidays coming I can only dread what will happen then.

HAHAHA.
Just wait till the school hols start. that is when Most so called Trolls come out to play Rolling Eyes
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 22:38

hi guys, i'm fairly new to this forum and was looking forward to joining the new one as it looks to be a better setup than here, but when going to register it asks for my home address,since i didnt put it i was rejected, now i don't know about you,but i won't put my address anywhere on the net, and this site cannot guarantee 100% that it is safe.

Some have said that the address requirement is so that IF someone gets ripped off the mods can give the info to police etc,let me just say, that this IS NOT the responsibility of the site admin etc. If there is a dispute the admin team should give the Ip address to the police who then retrieve the address from the isp

I can understand that it makes people responsible for what they do on here(bad trading etc) btu there is another side to it,,.........ok, so far i have posted up a couple of pics of my project car,a tubbed KE10, and was prepared to do a full build up thread on it, but i find it disturbing that someone could probably hack the site and database, get my address and steal parts ,tools,etc from my house.

Maybe some of you could benefit from seeing my buildup as i do all the work myself(yes, everything)and ive been modifying cars as a job for over 10 years in all different areas, but if i have to give my address to do that,i think ill pass thankyou!!!

Mate go back through this thread and READ what has been written. Also look at all the other relevant threads that relate to the protection of your privacy in the toymods privacy policy.

toymods will not provide your detials to ANYONE unless required by a court of law. if toymods were to provide a third party with your detials they would be in breach of the law themselves!

Quote:

back to that point. stop reading the bullshit that people are posting and read what the MODS have posted!

i hope the mods dont waste their time repeating themselves for the millionth time and replying to you. jsut read and you will find out.

dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik- I did read what has been posted, and the only reason stated about requiring this personal info is to make people responsible for what they do on the forum-exactly what i said in my post, if YOU bothered to actually read it!How is this going to make people stop posting crap and spam etc? are the mods going to come to your house and tell you to stop ? no. So tell me how is having a persons address going to stop them posting crap after they register?Yes it will stop internet fraud but forwardin on ip adresses to the police will do the same(as happened on another forum i post on)
And if you have bothered to read the posts that others have put up you will see that a lot of others are concerned also, there have been suggestions of other ways to register that would make others comfortable but they appear to fall on deaf ears.
the easiest way to get rid of people who spam and fill the forum with stupid things is to just ban thier ip address from the forum, but this appears to be too hard.

Mods- Since there are several people voicing that the sign up is too invasive,and may result in the loss of contributing members, does this concern the board or is it a case of "play by my rules or ill take my ball and go home" type attitude of some others here. I think it shows the degradation of a forum when geniune concerns are not embraced but just brushed away with a "if you dont like it, don't join" comment.

PS> someone posted up a comment that "Performance forums" don't get the stupid and illegal type threads because the group as a whole tend to cyber -bash these people and they dissapear. This approach seems to work for them and i think it could work here.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read what you wrote but you have failed to undestand what i wrote.

yes forcing people to supply their personal details will help to give a sense of responsibility to their posting.

the police cannot just ask toymods for details of forums users because someone got ripped off. nor will toymods disclose any personal information to another forum member who was apparently ripped off by another member. the only way information on an parties are going to be revealed to a 3rd party would be in the case where the matter was taken to court and a suppehnia (right terminology?) is issued then toymods would have to hand over the details.

Read the privacy act that applies to EVERY organisation as far as the handling of personal information is concerned. toymods has to abide by these laws. if you think becasue its a car club toymods are going to break these laws your an idiot.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the board members are asking is that users provide the same information that club members have to, what is so hard to deal with?
if people arent signing up because off all the details they have to provide then the sign up procedure is doing its job, stopping people signing up and those that do have to take responsibility for their actions.
not to sure about the turning away people that have a wealth of information, as most people that are knowledgable understand that the board will not be able to disclose the information to anyone unless told to do so by court order.
those people that say the information is not going to be secure, how do you know that it is not? the board/admin have said that all information is kept secure and will not be released, so if you dont trust them
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have said before the forum admin CANNOT guarantee this information is safe,it is not on a secure site/page. i understand that the admin team are not going to release info to anyone but its hackers and others that i dont trust, the info goes from my computer to the isp, to another server and so on and can be intercepted anywhere along the way to its destination.(hence the reason that ebay and such use a secure page for credit card info handling) Are you all trying to say that the info is stored on a unhackable computer sitting at the house of one of the admin team(like the forms you probably filled in to become a member of the club)im sure its not, the info would have passed through many channels to get there.

If i was to join the club and was given a form to fill in i would provide that details , but the net is a different beast altogether
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well board members have not released how they are keeping the information secure, they could be getting the registration sheet printing a copy then destroying all electronic evidence.
i trust that the board are doign everything within their means to keep all information secure, i feel that if you cant trust the baord and their decisions you shouldnt really be a member of the toymods community, be it a paying member or just a forum meber as many people are.
as said many times before if you arent happy with how the club is run become a member voice your opinion at the meetings
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 17:44

i understand that the admin team are not going to release info to anyone but its hackers and others that i dont trust, the info goes from my computer to the isp, to another server and so on and can be intercepted anywhere along the way to its destination.(hence the reason that ebay and such use a secure page for credit card info handling)
If i was to join the club and was given a form to fill in i would provide that details , but the net is a different beast altogether

What is it about the above statement you dont understand????????????it is not a trust issue with the admin.

Add a SECURE sign up page and ill gladly give my details
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok you have a very valid point there. but the server is actually very secure yourslef but the process of it getting there your right could be breached. but i still dont see why you had to go through all that bullshit waffel about some other forums and police getting detials and old bob schmoe being ripped off to finally get to your point.

you wasted about 15 minutes of my time! i want it back!
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Thu, 01 December 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was simply addressing another point ,that its not up to the admin team to police what goes on between traders, and if someone gets ripped off, its the police who track the person down through thier ip(which they obtain through admin) for internet fraud.
using bad traders as a reason to obtain personal details from people that are only using a forum is a bit of an overeaction in my opinion
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Fri, 02 December 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 23:33

i was simply addressing another point ,that its not up to the admin team to police what goes on between traders, and if someone gets ripped off, its the police who track the person down through thier ip(which they obtain through admin) for internet fraud.
using bad traders as a reason to obtain personal details from people that are only using a forum is a bit of an overeaction in my opinion

you obviously havent read anything in relation to the reasons for the forums signup process otherwise u wouldnt be making such a statement.

the MAIN reason is so the every joe schmoe out there has to turn around and take responsiblity for what they are posting and were talking about the shit talkers and idiots who are flocking into the forums jsut posting up shit!

i dont see your point about IP address. theyre not asking for that to be provided in the signup form, and its easily availible from the current forums as well
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik said
"the MAIN reason is so the every joe schmoe out there has to turn around and take responsiblity for what they are posting and were talking about the shit talkers and idiots who are flocking into the forums jsut posting up shit!"

And i said EARLIER
"the only reason stated about requiring this personal info is to make people responsible for what they do on the forum-exactly what i said in my post, if YOU bothered to actually read it!How is this going to make people stop posting crap and spam etc? are the mods going to come to your house and tell you to stop ? no. So tell me how is having a persons address going to stop them posting crap after they register"

Are you actually reading what i write?
dude
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik said
"i dont see your point about IP address. theyre not asking for that to be provided in the signup form, and its easily availible from the current forums as well"

and i said EARLIER
IF someone gets ripped off the mods can give the info to police etc,let me just say, that this IS NOT the responsibility of the site admin etc. If there is a dispute the admin team should give the Ip address to the police who then retrieve the address from the isp"

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only read the last few posts but for fucks sake... the only reason i can see somebody worrying about providing there address is if they have something to hide. Otherwise just get over it. Its not like you have to provide 100 points of ID or your mothers credit card number. If you want to use the forums comply with the rules otherwise fuck off to a different site perhaps upthearsemods.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 11:41

domasik said
"i dont see your point about IP address. theyre not asking for that to be provided in the signup form, and its easily availible from the current forums as well"

and i said EARLIER
IF someone gets ripped off the mods can give the info to police etc,let me just say, that this IS NOT the responsibility of the site admin etc. If there is a dispute the admin team should give the Ip address to the police who then retrieve the address from the isp"

YOU ARE WRONG.

unless required by a COURT it is not the responsiblity of the admin to provide details to the police! THE POLICE NEED A COURT ORDER FOR TOYMODS FOR REALSE ANY INFORMATION THEY HAVE

like i said before READ THE PRIVACY ACT.

and i agree with boris Smile
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sounds like a good idea. You will never get the good old Toymods back though. The club is to big after Toymods being in Fxxken Hot4s a few times. Hot4's = dumb shits (%90 of them). If i was a moderator on this forum i would go on a mass banning.

Anyways goodluck with the new forums.

Cheers matt
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sat, 03 December 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hotrolla wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 17:53

Hot4's = dumb shits (%90 of them)..

the % sign usually goes after the numerals. so i think your the dumbshit Razz

u should tell your brother to get back on the new forums hopefully itll be a good change of atmosphere and he'll get a bit more involved again.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sun, 04 December 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 19:16

you're the dumbshit Razz

Laughing

i was just wondering, is there a set date for when these forums will be shut down or is it just going to be as soon as the new ones are ready? all the messages just say closing soon.

chris

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 04:25]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Sun, 04 December 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

u should tell your brother to get back on the new forums hopefully itll be a good change of atmosphere and he'll get a bit more involved again.

FFS, everyone stop dribbling bullshit.

Domasik, you misread dude's comments and ran with it, but you look a little silly after some of your comments Wink

sure there is an issue with your data being intercepted, and encryption is not all that effective really Wink

if you have a problem with providing your details electronically, just email the board and ask if you can supply them by snail mail... or alternatively, join the club and then you have to provide those details on paper anyway Wink
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Mon, 05 December 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Razz Shut up Dom. Smart arse
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OFFICIAL NEW FORUMS DISCUSSION THREAD - drop kicks NOT welcome Wed, 07 December 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
Dude.... in breif, here are the answers to your "concerns"

# By having the personal details of an individual, we feel that the individual will take responsibility in their actions, knowing that they no longer have the anonymity the internet explicitly gives.

This pic sums up the justification for our actions:
http://www.witzl.com/random/anon.jpg

Take away their anonymity - they stop being a fuckwad. Simple.

The quality of posts and users on the new forum are further justification that this is working.

# security of information.
We dont trust hackers either, thats why it's been said multiple times we are looking into ways of safely storing the sensitive informationi offline. FWIW - every single board member has their details provided for the new forums, and in my 3 or so years around here, i have never known their to be a hacker attack our database.

# Ultimately - these are our forums, and we run them how we want to. They are owned, operated, and run by the toymods car club for the benefit of its members. All actions are taken to meet that purpose.
If you want to have a say, please by all means come along to a general meeting. The next is on the 19th December, click the following link for the details:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=142&start=0&rid=883&S=6530ec292e9ef7 1405af80d7c8808148

i really dont think there is too much more to say...
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thread deleted, why?
Next Topic:New forum transfer Private messaging query
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:28:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067009925842285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.