Toymods » Tech & Conversions » turboing TA22 - Updated 4/12/05

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - new stuff Fri, 07 October 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not sure??? I have en external wastegate but i was told i need a blow off valve on the inlet? I guess the wastegate is connected to the inlet anyway, right? What do you think?

In regards to the flange, YEAH SURE! Where abouts you live etc and i can come help or phone number etc and we can talk $$.

E-mail me at aj@mfcmortgages.com.au i dont check it over the weekend so i'll reply on monday (work computer).
  Send a private message to this user    
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - new stuff Fri, 07 October 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i dont really know, i thort that the internal waste gate did the job of the external one but just made no cool sounds.

Cant some one shed some light on this.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 22:50]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - new stuff Fri, 07 October 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BoV is on the intake side of the engine - Wastegates are on exhaust side - should be no confusion there?,

There is no point and no place for a BoV on a carbi-suck-thru Turbo. None at all.

A BoV has to go after the compressor and before the throttle - seeing as the throttle will be ahead of the turbo, this circumstance will never happen.

Re: the wastegate - the internate gate in the turbo should be sufficient to control the levels of boost you're going to generate. External gates are for high-boost applications and older turbos with no built-in wastegate.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - new stuff Sat, 08 October 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i made up the oil lines Very Happy i just used 1/4 inch copper pipe for the top piece and 1/2 inch pipe on the bottom piece. i ran the oil out of were the oil pressure switch origanaly went, useing a 'T' piece so i could still run the oil pressure switch on it. For the bottom piece i just ran the copper pipe out of the turbo and the sump a little bit and joined the the two pieces together with flexaable oil hose. I ran the engine and there was no oil leeks and the oil pressure was fine, so it should work ok i hope Smile

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4580/ss1nn.jpg

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/5494/s65j0wy.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3181/jjj2pe.jpg

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha nice one... gotta love back yard jobbies.

good one. now we await the pipping and carb issues
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a quick note about the drain into the sump, make sure thaat pipe going into the sump is above the full height of oil in the sump, the turbo has to freely drain into the sump. It probably is, but for my sump, the drain was brazed on just below the sump flange.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it really mater that mutch Confused because im pritty shore that it is not above the oil Sad why would it afect any thing and what does it do.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is usually a drama, cause the oil needs a free path back into the sump, without restriction, otherwise its likely that oil will backup the drain hose, and the easiest path for it to release the pressure is past the rear seal on the turbo, hello tailpipe smoke Very Happy Crying or Very Sad
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u clock the compressor housing? turning it around a bit to have the outlet facing up will simplify the piping

Looken good so far Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if he rotates the intake housing, then he has to fabricate up new holder for the wastegate actuator.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sat, 08 October 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thechuckster is right, i was going to turn it around but i would of had to make a new holder and i dont no any one with a TIG to weld it with. i was looking at the front of the car and it look like i can run it around infront of the radiator pritty easy.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sun, 09 October 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from being above oil line level (how do you determin that by the way?) What is the best position for the oil return pipe in the sump? (front, middle or back). Would it make sense to have it closer to the oil pump?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 10 October 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajmor6 wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 09:29

Apart from being above oil line level (how do you determin that by the way?) What is the best position for the oil return pipe in the sump? (front, middle or back). Would it make sense to have it closer to the oil pump?

Best spot would be underneath the crank scraper but as far above the full-oil line and not likely to be temporarirly blocked off if the car/engine was at a significant lean.

Usually you want th oil drain to be a simple path from the turbo, so i'd let that dictate the entry postition, not the proximity to the pickup.

As for how measuring where the full line is:
-drain engine oil (while warm) and store
-remove sump
-pour oil back into sump
-look at full level of sump and then go 'up a bit'.

Alternatively, you could simply accurately note the amount of oil drained, dump that, then when removing the sump at your convenience you use same volume of water or another liquid.

highly scientific, hey? Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 06:16]

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 10 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is the same way as i plan to do it. great minds think alike Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 09:19]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 10 October 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 16:07

ajmor6 wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 09:29

Best spot would be underneath the crank scraper but as far above the full-oil line and not likely to be temporarirly blocked off if the car/engine was at a significant lean.

Usually you want th oil drain to be a simple path from the turbo, so i'd let that dictate the entry postition, not the proximity to the pickup.

As for how measuring where the full line is:
-drain engine oil (while warm) and store
-remove sump
-pour oil back into sump
-look at full level of sump and then go 'up a bit'.

Alternatively, you could simply accurately note the amount of oil drained, dump that, then when removing the sump at your convenience you use same volume of water or another liquid.

highly scientific, hey? Very Happy

Very highly scientific, thanks for guide!
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 10 October 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane: did you try run the "IN" oil line around the back of the sump? Was there any other way you could do it or was straight over the top the only option? Just checking if there was a more aesthetically appealing route? (might look better hidden if you were concerned?).
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Tue, 11 October 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha somehow I don't think asthetics come into this Wink
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Tue, 11 October 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could of ran it any were i wanted to Wink i geuss i would of looked better if i ran it around the back or some thing like that, but i put it over the top because it was the easyest path to run it.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sun, 16 October 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you got the car running yet? how is it going?
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 17 October 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i havent got it going, i bort a KE20 and have been getting it ready to be reged Very Happy i might to so more this weekend Wink
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Mon, 17 October 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting conversion dude. keep up the effort!
and yeah your drain pipe is too low bud

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 21:53]

NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Tue, 18 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is awesome!

i cant wait to see how she runs when its all done..

reminds me of bush mechanics... that show was great!
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 8/10/05 Sun, 23 October 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i go some time on my hands know so i started workin on the TA.

i relocated the battery to the right hand side of the car so i could get the carby and air box into the space were it was. For the battery cables i just made up new ones and ran them under the radiator were the wireing loom runs.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2990/batteryandtheright0hg.jpg

I also made up a support for the manifold you guys said to make, so now it souldnt sag at all. i hope Very Happy

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/2353/turbosuport7nw.jpg

WHAT DO YOU THINK, I KNOW ITS NOT MUTCH BUT MORE IS ON THE WAY.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 24 October 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do you guys think that the support will do the job.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 24 October 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as long as the intermediate spacer bit doesn't sag after being heated up, it should do the job.
cheers,
charles.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 24 October 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
year i gess i will find out. i took it for a drive just before, the turbo sounds sweet Very Happy and it sounds like it starts it make boost at 1500rpm and just keeps going Very Happy Smile Cool Very Happy and then when you put it the 4th gear and idol along and the just play with the throttle it starts up straight away Very Happy

We also made up piping out of rradiator hose (like the datto engine the pic at the start) that went out of the turbo and straight into the top of the origanal carby and when for a drive. the first time it just blow the hose off, so we did it up a bit tighter and went for a drive again and this time it blow the fuel out the top of the carby where the accelitartor pump for the carby is and the car just stop untill it go fuel again.

it was dam funny to see the the hose blow off.

oh and buy the way we didnt have the wastegate working, so it would of been boost, boost, boost then bang, if the hose didnt come off Confused it would be interesting to see how high it would go with no wate gate on Laughing Laughing

i think ill get a video off the car running at the momment or should i what till it is all done?

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 05:00]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Tue, 25 October 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha thats great!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing
How was the performance side of things or didn't you get that far? Laughing Laughing

Definately make a video! Now and after as long as you re-decorate the dirt road with snakeys and donuts!!!!!! Cool

What have you got left to do now?
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Tue, 25 October 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all ive relay got to do now is mount the carby, run the piping, make the exhaust and other small things like run mechaniical advance and vacum line for the engine and brakes.

ill work on making a video, but how do i get it to hear, do i use some thing like imageshack but for videos Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 11:39]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Wed, 26 October 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got me stumped on that one. Someone here will know how.

ANYONE KNOW HOW?????
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 30 October 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been doing something similar actually...

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01706.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01707.JPG

http://www.vn-commodore.com/celica/DSC01708.JPG

my carb setup looks a bit different - mine will have a GRA throttle body hanging off the VN V6 elbow i welded to the stock inlet manifold...

(the plan is to create a custom plenum at some stage)

will hopefully be in and *maybe* running tuesday

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 09:25]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 30 October 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks sweet!
How did you find the welding? What type of welder did you use?
Also, where are you putting the carbi? Push through or suck through?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found the welding remarkably easy actually - easier than mild steel to be honest.
i used a MIG with alloy wire and straight argon as the shield.

two things alloy needs when welding. lots of heat and lots of amps. its very messy too when you MIG, TIG on the other hand is much neater!

also the carb will be a blow through setup, not a draw through setup. i don't like the idea of draw through due to having an intercooler full of air and gas - explosive kinda idea and i'd hate to backfire (those of you who know LPG know how common this is)

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 01:44]

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are running a carby why are you going to run a throttle body Confused Wouldnt the butterfly in the carby do the job, or does your carby have no butterflys any more Confused I cant see the piont, unless you are using the trottle body as a small planum.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 01:49]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry. gas research carb/throttle body...
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH i see, so are you going to run it on straight gas Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes matey. i have a commodore gas tank sitting in the boot Very Happy
anyway i don't want to hijack your thread anymore.
keep up the good work on the yellow beast man will be interesting to know how you go........ Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 01:56]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't bank on your gas systems working straight off the bat mate....

have you got your lock off valves working properly?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 31 October 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valves? try valve. and yes.

the gas bit is the easy bit Very Happy
(my best mate is a gas installer)
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Thu, 03 November 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, where are ya up to now champ?

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Thu, 03 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah yeah whats the goss?

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2005 06:19]

ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 13 November 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you up to?
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Mon, 21 November 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUMP
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK people im back Smile ive been a bit bizzy working on the ke20 and doin a some other stuff, one of them being building a shed for me a my brother to put some of are cars in Very Happy

OK as for the TA22 ive almost made the peace that will jion the carby to the turbo. But ive got a fuw questions first?

Hear are some pics Wink

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7001/carbytoturbo4ry.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5184/carbytoturbo15jn.jpg

1 IM goin to run the vacum for the brake booster and stuff from the out of the top of the pipe, can any one see any problem with doing that?

2 Does any one think that the carby is hanging out to far? or is in a bad spot?

3 The only pipe i had that was the same size as the inlet of the turbo was gal coated, will that change any thing? like contaminate the fuel that will pass trought it?

THATS IT FOR NOW, BUT NOT THE END Wink

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 12:44]

ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man about the brake booster vacume you could always go into the top of the rocker cover like this
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4523/6d35qk.jpg
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane - looking good, it might pay to brace the carby from another point off the engine to to take some load off the front of the turbo. If you are taking vacuum from the suction side of the turbo, after the throttle plate, then you are set...

ke30king - I must admit I seriously doubt that sourcing vacuum from the rocker cover would work imho. However, i'd love to be proven wrong Smile
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i dunno if it works but i have seen plent of people doing it so Confused oh well if some one wantas to try it the go for it
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 4/12/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i must say i dont think that would work Sad because you need to run vacum to both the crankcase brether and the booster dont you Confused ill try it on one off the old bombs and let you know Wink

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 13:05]

ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 4/12/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usualy just from the inlet manifold to the booster
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 23/10/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Sun, 04 December 2005 22:40

1 IM goin to run the vacum for the brake booster and stuff from the out of the top of the pipe, can any one see any problem with doing that?
is how mine was setup - my adaptor had 2 holes so i had separate lines for brakes & dizzi vacuum.

do not rely on the crankcase providing any meaningful vacuum - when you are boosting the engine, crankcase will be under pressure fro mteh massive amount of blowby you'll generate.

That setup posted above would simply result in the booster slow filling with oil.

Quote:

2 Does any one think that the carby is hanging out to far? or is in a bad spot?

like they said ... try to brace the carbi off the turbine housing - my adaptor had a locating ring, as did the compressor inlet so the clamp held it very tightly together - yours looks like stright pipe so it will vibrate/shake off (specially if it's a bush basher)

Quote:

3 The only pipe i had that was the same size as the inlet of the turbo was gal coated, will that change any thing? like contaminate the fuel that will pass trought it?
nope - by the time you have any obvious chemical reaction occuring, you will have killed the car

cheers,
charles.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 4/12/05 Sun, 04 December 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thanks for the info thechuckster.

Ill try and make up a brace to hold the carby. What do you mean about "my adaptor had a locating ring, as did the compressor inlet" could that be a posibillity for me?

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: turboing TA22 - Updated 4/12/05 Mon, 05 December 2005 00:32 Go to previous message
hurricane wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 08:09

Ill try and make up a brace to hold the carby. What do you mean about "my adaptor had a locating ring, as did the compressor inlet" could that be a posibillity for me?

if you look at the compressor inlet (pic 1) and the carbi (pic 2) you'll notice both have a raised, square-profile ridge. I had a t-clamp that instead of have a flat clamping face, had folded edges that clipped over both ridges, firmly locating the carbi flush with mouth of the carbi.

End result was a firmly-grasped carbi with no leaks at that flange (unlike other places like wastegate and turbo flanges).

pic 1: compressor (a bit oversized for an 18R)
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car22-turbo_wastegate.jpg

pic 2: carbi (aka fuel-waster)
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car23-carb-not-plumbed.jpg

cheers,
Charles.
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:microtech mtx8 for 4agze to run 4age
Next Topic:Haltech or Microtech for 1j
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:23:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083658695220947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.