Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
electronic ignition for 18r/18rg Wed, 26 February 2003 23:20 Go to next message
What would be the best solution for upgrading an 18r or 18rg to electronic ignition. I looked into the Crane aftermarket option and it is going to cost $265.00. I'm not even sure what benifits I will see from this amount of money.

My Question is, is there any sort of dizzy swap I can do, be it for a 22re or something. If someone know a bit more on this then I do (not hard) then please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: electronic ignition for 18r/18rg Thu, 27 February 2003 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An 18R-GU/GEU comes with electronic ignition from the factory. 22R-E's do also, and I think you can adapt a 22R dizzy to an 18R with a bit of work if you're so inclined.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: electronic ignition for 18r/18rg Thu, 27 February 2003 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 27 February 2003 11:49

An 18R-GU/GEU comes with electronic ignition from the factory. 22R-E's do also, and I think you can adapt a 22R dizzy to an 18R with a bit of work if you're so inclined.

But they both require that engines ECU dont they?
And if they do, they would have advance curves programmed for that particular engine, and cannot be changed.

A better and cheaper option might be to go down to jaycar, pick up a HEI kit, then pull the points out of your dizzy, and replace it with hall sensor and wheel.
This way you keep the engines stock advance curves.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: electronic ignition for 18r/18rg Thu, 27 February 2003 03:34 Go to previous message
I'm talking about electronically-triggered ignition (ie still with a mechanical distributor), not computer-controlled ignition. No ECU is required, just the electronic distributor and an ignitor module.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thermostat on oil cooler
Next Topic:JDM Gen2 3S-GE power, torque & cam specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:15:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053179264068604 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.