Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » BMX/freestyle Bikes?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 11:46 Go to next message
ok, so since i'm losing my lisence as of the 13th of december i'm in the market for another form of transport to work.

i've decided that going for a bmx style bike instead of the norm of the mountain bike. basically i'll just be cruising to work, shouldn't take more than 30 mins taking it easy as it's a 5-10 min drive.

just after some advice on what would be a good starting point since i'm a noob.

thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just cruising to work i would say a bmx is the worst choice. Definately get a bigger bike unless your a midget...
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, bigger one with suspension so u can mod it Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BMX is wicked, keeps you very fit!

about $400 should net you a nice GT/mongoose/Mosh bike.

depends if your going to use it just for work.

in which case i reccomend a street/vert bike, very hard tyres, a small sprocket, and a medium sized freewheel.

excellent for good acceleration, and cruising.

if you want to go dirt, a nice 44tooth or so sprocket with a medium/small sized freewheel and a nice set of chunky dirt tyres "MAXXIS Maxx daddy" etc. will do you well.

worse acceleration, but a much higher top speed, very loud and bumpy on pavement though.

if they were still avaliable, id recommend the MOSH Brass 3 Star, excellent bike for the money.

basically, the choice is whether you want to do with a bare minimum, or actually use this opportunity to build up a bit of muscle too Smile

i also heavily suggest in investing in a good stack hat, and a pair of fox racing or whatever gloves, to keep those vile callouses at bay!

Eldar.O.

edit* i am teh speeling mastah!

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2005 13:18]

corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no no dont get a BMX dude ur gonna need to go to a physio cos of ya back. get a mountain bike with some front shockers and like 27 gears, smooth and easy Smile . unless of course ur gonna hoon around on paths and shit and do jumps and stuff, but a good mountain bike will handle it
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a BMX, anything u can mugg some rich kid at chistmas for, then cut laps of the westfield fountain!
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 00:08

BMX is wicked, keeps you very fit!

about $400 should net you a nice GT/mongoose/Mosh bike.

depends if your going to use it just for work.

in which case i reccomend a street/vert bike, very hard tyres, a small sprocket, and a medium sized freewheel.

excellent for good acceleration, and cruising.

Excellent Advise.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just don't forget that the road rules still apply to bike riders.
And I agree with EldarO, get a good helmet & gloves.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps for that EldarO, a new helmet and gloves are also on the agenda.

basically i'm using the lisence loss as an excuse to start another interest besides cars for the time i can't drive. when thinking of how much i hate trains it was only logical to think of riding a bike for the short trip to work. not only will i be saving money by not paying for public transport i'll be getting fit and trying to drop the cigarrettes.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 13 November 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you go off on your little pushy, make sure you look at the "human VS car" thread and just remember you are more vulnerable on your bike.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmx... HA! i wasted half my life riding a bmx to school when i could have bought a normal bike... and do this Rolling Eyes

http://www.users.on.net/~mioduch/d1.jpg
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=84333&start=0&rid=4430&S=bac85854a6e ef6174cf3c1e2529ce261
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say get a mountainbike with shocks. Street mountain biking is heaps of fun, you can take on stairs and gaps without breaking your wrists like you would on a bmx. Plus bmx bikes suck arse for normal riding.
Something like this:
http://www.h3o.it/street_trial_big.jpg
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unforgiven wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 16:54

I say get a mountainbike with shocks. Street mountain biking is heaps of fun, you can take on stairs and gaps without breaking your wrists like you would on a bmx. Plus bmx bikes suck arse for normal riding.
Something like this:
http://www.h3o.it/street_trial_big.jpg

is it just me or does that mountain bike have no (additional) gears??
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats because it isnt a mountain bike, it looks to be a 24" BMX.

which are also readily avaliable.

just go into your local bike store and have a chat to, if you can, the owner of the place.

generally the owner is the only one whos honest, and can give you the best deal.

Bikes were a very big hobby for me for a time, and in order to afford one i worked my ass off to earn it, ive owned a few bikes, from a GT Powerlite, to a DK General Lee, to a Mosh Brass 3 Star, and a few other ones like a redline 440 in between.

both the DK General Lee (RRP ~$450) and the Mosh (RRP ~$800) were stolen, and the fact that i, at 15, had worked so many hours to get each of them, made it hurt that much more.

but, life goes on, and now im working 70 hours work weeks in order to afford my new ride, a 1990 MA70 GT Limited Cool

Eldar.O.
pr*duct
Regular

April 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck the GT and Mosh off...

Go for a 24" or 26"

DMR, Norco, .243 racing etc...
Then you can roll into work like this.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/plztakemehome/djstreets.jpg
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, the 26 is pretty good
Then you can roll into work like this
http://www.users.on.net/~mioduch/d_1.bmp
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 14 November 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get norco 250 or 4hun or something similar
basically dirt jump/hard tail free ride. Or something from theoir freeride range.I was thinking of pissing off my giant XC bike for one but i turned to sinking money inc ars instead
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Wed, 16 November 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

both the DK General Lee (RRP ~$450) and the Mosh (RRP ~$800) were stolen

Hah ha Eldar, you can have them back if you want to pay for em Evil or Very Mad !

JK The DK General was a classic bike in it's time.

Quote:

Something like this:

Actually what that bike is is a trials jobbie and would probably be ok if you had better gearing for street than the whizzzz whiz trials gears. Unforgiven has it right MTB street bikes are the way to go.

Yeah, MTB jump and free ride bikes have never been better value. My old Norco is looking pretty close to a trade in. I used to ride bmx dirt jumping until my early 30's (believe it or not) and then gave it away after a particularly nasty shoulder bingle. I gave in to trying out some kids jump MTB (Kona something or other?) and it fucking kicked arse. My back felt reasonably ok too instead of the old compressed spine thing from even 20" BMX that I used to get. 24" BMX are for posers and old guys (errr Razz ). Oh and I'm 6" 1" but I think it's more about flexibility than height.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 05 December 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I recently picked up and awesome deal on a frame from ebay, includes 990 mounts and brakes. I'm aiming to build a light but strongish bike.

Now I'm peicing the rest of it together, I'm looking for a small sprocket but not sure how small, I've seen alot of 36t but also now I see as low as 25t.

I'm not a pro just looking for something that will do for alot of street and abit of vert.

What are your thoughts?

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2005 01:48]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 05 December 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate is selling his bike. he baught it to get some excersise, used it 3 times in 8 months. lol. now hes selling it.
no shit, hes used it for less then 1 hour.
i went for a quik ride on it, its a sweet ride. and its VERY tough. i heard of somone jumping off a roof with a bike like this.
http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showthread.php?t =27072
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 05 December 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a 21speed mountain bike with decent shocks. dont get some crap from Big W or something, go to a real bike shop.
Now if i can offer you any advise it is this....invest in a good lock. they may cost around $50+ but if u have a bike worth $800...an extra $50 to lock it up properly is nothing. get a heavy duty U lock. there are ones with round keys but they can be easily picked now. onguard make very good looks....my brother did alot of research into this before he bought a new bike. get one of these babies Smile

http://www.onguardlock.com

also i ride a giant everyday as does my brother and they are very good bikes. dont get a BMX...lame

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2005 06:16]

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Mon, 05 December 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh.. i bought a bmx about a week ago.. been for a few rides and damn i'm unfit. i've at least got access to a mountain bike aswell so it's no big deal, mainly just something to pass time whilst i don't have my lisence.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Tue, 06 December 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently bought a Norco Bigfoot DJ/Freeride bike, it fucking rocks. Has MZ dirt jam comp forks, and hayes hfx9 8" hydraulic disk brakes Smile I never actually thought I would get into bike riding again, but now I can't get enough. There's something about riding through the city and jumping on shit, or flying down stairs, doing wheelies etc Very Happy
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Wed, 07 December 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 09:45

I recently picked up and awesome deal on a frame from ebay, includes 990 mounts and brakes. I'm aiming to build a light but strongish bike.

Now I'm peicing the rest of it together, I'm looking for a small sprocket but not sure how small, I've seen alot of 36t but also now I see as low as 25t.

I'm not a pro just looking for something that will do for alot of street and abit of vert.

What are your thoughts?

36t is very nice, 25t is way too low if you plan on riding your bike any further than around a skate park.

Generally, you'll want to go to the bike store and ride a few of their models, and get a feeling for the top tube length that best suits you, the gearing etc.

obviously if your custom peicing it together, you can combine the best bits of a couple of bikes.

My ideal bike, in every aspect, was the Mosh, it was effortless to get it off the ground, grind, jump, pedal.

if i wouldve changed anything, it wouldve been the pedals, because they were very good at sticking into my shoes, but as soon as they slipped, id have a few new holes in my shins, and the blood to match.

i didnt mind though, it was always so much fun doing so.

to add to the info, a picture of my former baby Sad

http://finishlinebikes.com/site/images/library/large/mosh_brass3star_navy_03_m.jpg

Eldar.O.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Wed, 07 December 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the bear traps/platforms are great for sticking to your shoes but if you slip it freakin canes, thats why i invested in a set of shin pads. Also a worth while investment if you're gonna ride hard
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Wed, 07 December 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I decided on a 36t with a 15t freewheel.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Fri, 09 December 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote

Quote:

my mate is selling his bike. he baught it to get some excersise, used it 3 times in 8 months. lol. now hes selling it.
no shit, hes used it for less then 1 hour.
i went for a quik ride on it, its a sweet ride. and its VERY tough. i heard of somone jumping off a roof with a bike like this.
http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showthread.php?t =27072

I have the DBR BSX Sport 2005 now and it's a pretty strong bike for the money. Lower spec than your mates bike but still very good value. Great frames.

Dunno if I would want to huck off the rooftops, no matter what bike I had.

More Bike stuff and very good info resource here

http://forums.farkin.net/
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Fri, 09 December 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
price drop: hes selling that bike for $1150
barley used, i would buy it if i had the cash. its a sweet bike.
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: BMX/freestyle Bikes? Sun, 11 December 2005 08:28 Go to previous message
bmx all the way
just dont get cairred away ive spent over $3000 on mine
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what the fuck is wrong with some people in this country?
Next Topic:Pimp & Hoes Party
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:16:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075418949127197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.