Toymods » Tech & Conversions » KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif  KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 27 January 2004 06:04 Go to next message
A little background info, basically putting a complete TA63 Carina with 3T-GTEU W55 box and F code IRS into my Toyota Starlet. This is the early RWD Starlet that was never released in Australia, Bill Sherwood has one.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287881507&a mp;a mp;code=8085510&mode=invite

Before we started, also shows the EH Holden that the Starlet is sharing space with.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287881481&a mp;a mp;code=8085563&mode=invite

Unfortunately ran out of cutting discs before we got through the front chassis rails. Will have more pics up tonight of a big hole in the back of the Starlet. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Callum

[Updated on: Wed, 28 January 2004 08:14]

Send a private message to this user    
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 28 January 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Additional pictures added to the second album above.

I now have a Flintstones car. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 03 February 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287808553&a mp;code=8183827&mode=invite

Floor pan sitting in place, a little more trimming to do before the serious fabrication starts. Notice how far back the wheelbase has gone, approx 4 inches.

Callum
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 03 February 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I admire your umm, braveness? crazyness? for doing this conversion! esp. the IRS.

Very interested to hear how the project comes along. Good luck!

Cheers
Joel
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 03 February 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, was motivated by cheapness. The IRS conversion will work out cheaper than putting in a hilux diff, due to binding issues in the standard SAtarlet suspension meaning you need to shift the 4 link mounting points on the body.
I probably am crazy, but definitely not stupid. I have someone who knows what they are doing to do the actual work for me.

Callum
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 03 February 2004 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's awesome! I dont know how I missed this topic.

How are you going to work out the suspension geometry roll center, ride height, camber, etc.

I hope you'll be succesful with that.

BTW. This should be on the tech sections.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 04 February 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem

Basically, the relationship between front and rear crossmembers will be kept the same. Sit the shell level, match up the measurements front and rear and then weld in place. Effectively it is just a shortened TA63 Carina (uses same rear as MA61 etc), so roll centre should not be an issue. Camber, ride height etc will be sorted through modifying the rear crossmember (as was detailed on the forums a little while ago) so it is adjustable for camber and will use height adjustable coilovers.

Callum

PS - If the mods want to move this to the Tech sections, thats fine by me.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
EVEN MORE SLICING AND DICING Tue, 10 February 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, even more cutting.

CLICK HERE

You may need to copy and paste the link.

Notice how a lot of the trimming has been done by drilling out the spot welds. Will soon be time to start the serious fabrication/welding. Have a full 8 x 4 sheet of panel steel ready to go in.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif  Now it is getting real serious Mon, 16 February 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287690595&a mp;code=8350577&mode=invite

This is where the cutting got real serious, basically whole rear guard is to be covered by fibreglass flares. Almost time to start welding.

Callum
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 16 February 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, definately time to start welding.
and time to buy some RHS i think.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 16 February 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strength will not be an issue, will be replicating all the factory bracings and tying the remaining outer skin into the wheel tubs. I am aiming to keep weight as low as possible so prefer to use panel steel with appropriate folds etc for strength. If you look at the side shots with the Carina floorpan in place you can see the factory braces sitting on top of the wheel wells. These will tie the floorpan section through to the roof of the car. The intention is to have the car stronger than factory without resorting to huge chunks of steel.
Also, car will be fully caged from rear suspension to strut towers. I just hope I never crash it as it will be a bitch to straighten.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 17 February 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got bored tonight so went and had a play.

Front springs out, blocks of wood in. Crossmember sits 150mm from the ground, not bad for gravel use.
Mounted up a Falken 205/65 rally tyre on a 15 x7 inch mag and fitted the guard up. Needed to see what my flare needs were going to be.
First problem, guard sits on top of tyre. Tyre is also 60mm outside the lip of the guard (widest point). This is with massive negative camber. Straight edge from bottom of tyre is 90mm outside the guard.
Basically the guard needs to be cut up to the swage above the wheel and the flare needs to cover 150mm out from this point. About the same as what we have cut out from the rear guards. Will try to get pics this weekend.

Now that is what I call a F A T Starlet.
No P H required.

Callum

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Thu, 19 February 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got pics last night.

Damn, my tyres don't fit.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287661413&a mp;code=8392016&mode=invite

Note the angle on the bottom arm, basically the same as a standard Carina so no RCA's required.

Callum

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Fri, 20 February 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purple Beasty: did you noticed the magazine article of that Finnish Starlet that I posted here?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Fri, 20 February 2004 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem

Yep, saw those links, can't recall where I got that picture of the car from though. I think someone sent it to me about a year ago (I have a pretty big version of it).
Those style flares seem pretty common over Finland, one of the best sites I have found is http://www.vhtracing.com/starlet which has two other cars with similar style flares.
Another really useful and informative Starlet site I found over your way was http://www.orangetoy.org .

Callum
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Fri, 20 February 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes indeed some serious glassing will be required to make that fit make sure you allow for the suspension travel (though i prolly don't need to tell you that)

looks good nonetheless thought bill might have been in here for a look thouhg...
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Welding has begun Sun, 29 February 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, floorpan is tacked quite solidly in place. Major amount of tweaking and measuring was required to get into just the right spot. New sections were folded up to tie the rear chassis rails into the shell as well as to tie the wheel wells into the area below the side windows. Will be fabricating extensions for the chassis rails to the front and to the rear to strengthen things up a bit more.
Have pics, will hopefully have them posted up by tomorrow night.

Callum

PS - Was interesting to watch how much of a fussy bastard my panel beater is . Everything was measured about 20 times before he even went near a welder. Very reassuring.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 03 March 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287542739&a mp;code=8564967&mode=invite

Thats the link to the welding pics.

Went and had a play tonight, the IRS is installed and the car look extemely tough. Whole rear guards gone, wheelbase 4 inches back, huge 225/65 14 wheels on it, negative camber front and rear and sitting on the bumpstops (just for now, will end up with coilovers all round).
No pics sorry, will try to get some tomorrow.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 03 March 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287542739&a mp;code=8564967&mode=invite

Thats the link to the welding pics.

Went and had a play tonight, the IRS is installed and the car look extemely tough. Whole rear guards gone, wheelbase 4 inches back, huge 225/65 14 wheels on it, negative camber front and rear and sitting on the bumpstops (just for now, will end up with coilovers all round).
No pics sorry, will try to get some tomorrow.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  on 4 wheels Fri, 05 March 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, pics of it on 4 wheels finally.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287530559&a mp;code=8583230&mode=invite

Enjoy.

Callum
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: on 4 wheels Fri, 05 March 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I was bit worried about. Are those swing arms in correct position? is that your prospective ride height?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p2a146e89dc2feeeb8c45289f490fa6dc/f9719205.jpg
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sat, 06 March 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That pic won't show but I think I know the one you mean. The rear will be raised up a bit with tyres with a lower overall height. Should be fairly similar to the angles on a slightly lowered Carina, will make rear crossmember adjustable for camber etc (as per example that been posted on these forums).
If you look at the front arms the angles are actually very similar to the standard Carina, and the ride height still needs to come up slightly.
Any other questions or suggestions welcome, if there is anything particular you want to see let me know and I will get pics for you.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Thu, 11 March 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NEW GUARD MADE UP CLICK HERE

Pics are poor quality, best I could do at the time.

Callum
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Tue, 11 May 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am fully impressed, when i first saw this post i thought you were nuts, and i promptly forgot to follow it. just picked up on it through a link from another post and i can't believe the progress you've made.

nice one, good to see you didn't give up. this should be a mean little starlet, i'm looking forward to seeing it at the drags

Matt
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 03 November 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, much like Matt, picked the thread up from a link, any updates please?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Wed, 03 November 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No progress since about March/April. In the middle of buying new house/selling old house/building new garage. Will definitely update once progress is back underway, will then have cash for the big dollar stuff.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 14 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you believe after 8 months I have started making progress again. Shocked Shocked Shocked

CLICK ME!!!!!!!

Will be seriously strong after all this welding.

Callum

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 00:37]

Johnny Blade
Regular

May 2003

Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 14 February 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool!
I'm planning to use MA61 rearend on my TA47 but i will not take the whole floor.
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sun, 26 June 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone hand me a towel

i really want a KP starlet.......even just with a k motor in it, damn u kiwis and your import laws
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Import laws?

We got RWD Starlets brand new. Cool

Will do an update soon, rear end if effectively finished except for seam welding. About to start cutting up the floor for my exhaust tunnel and muffler clearance under the passengers seat.

Callum
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn u and your KP starlets

i would imagine they r getting hard to find over there in stock form? kinda like rotors?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Underseal Removal Thu, 21 July 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UNDERSEAL REMOVAL (CLICK ME)

Got very busy yesterday, now have very sore hands from hanging onto an angle grinder with a very harsh wire wheel on the end. Underseal now fully stripped ready to go to the sandblasters (dropped off this morning), then its time to get stuck back in and get the exhaust tunnel in and the floor modified to fit the muffler. Then seam welding before it goes away for the cage to be done.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sat, 23 July 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How to fit a 3 inch exhaust in a Starlet - CLICK ME

Exhaust tunnel underway, still need to cut out floor under passenger seat for muffler and cut sill for the exhaust pipe to exit through. Hopefully that should be almost done by tonight. The entire exhaust system should actually end up being above the level of the gearbox crossmember, no ground clearances issue then.
Also a bunch of photos of the sandblasted and primed shell, much easier base to work with now. Bring on the seam welding.

Callum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sun, 24 July 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez you're a keen bunny Very Happy

keep up the interesting work Wink
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 22 August 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops, my passenger just fell through the floor. Embarassed

CHECK THE DAMAGE!!! (click me)

My panelbeater seems to be enjoying all the cutting just a little bit too much. Shocked

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Fat Muffler Time Fri, 07 October 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got to make the hole in the floor a little bigger.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3481/p10004701nt.th.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8359/p10004736ih.th.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/889/p10004744gr.th.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9483/p10004722wu.th.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6684/p10004768mq.th.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3248/p10004778qn.th.jpg

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/9198/p10004801ah.th.jpg

Notice the steel lying there as well, 25x50 1.6mm wall ready to go in to join the front and rear chassis rails. The muffler is 3 inch inlet/outlet custom made.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Chassis Rails Under Construction Sun, 16 October 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chassis Rails Under Construction

The work is under way, pics are here.

Click Me - Sony Imagestation

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Floor filled in Sun, 30 October 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Passengers floor almost complete, hopefully will have all the photos uploaded shortly (11 in total). Entire 3 inch exhaust and muffler is now above the level of the gearbox crossmember.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sat, 19 November 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5027/railscompletion373vd.jpg

More work.
Chassis rails almost complete, driveshaft centre bearing mounts welded in, rear turrets measured up and cutting is soon to start on yet another part of the car. Embarassed
One very good bit of news, handbrake cables match up exactly so no fabrication required at all.

Callum
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Sun, 04 December 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, more cutting.
But some welding too.

SONY IMAGESTATION - Click Me

Towers tacked in place, just need filling in and tidying. Towers were cut from the front of a KE70.

Callum
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 05 December 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm impressed - I admit, but I cant help wonder if an AW11 rear crossmember or basically the ass off an ae82 might have made it easier.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 05 December 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 13:19

I'm impressed - I admit, but I cant help wonder if an AW11 rear crossmember or basically the ass off an ae82 might have made it easier.

How would either of those solutions make it easier? Neither of them are front-engine RWD cars!? Neither of them have provision for a rear differential...
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 05 December 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because the aw11 crossmember would probably come close to bolting onto the stock chassis rails - giving you the needed wishbone points, wishbones, hubs, disc brakes, handbrake etc and the trailing arm would probably have bolted to the stock front leafspring/trailing arm point.

That takes care of some of the most important parts of the suspension too. Strut tops... well... I guess it'd be like you're doing, but I suspect that the ae82 strut towers would line up better with the body - since they're similar shapes/era's and all.

Diff housing is the least of the concerns imo - those are much less important in the scheme of things. I just dont like the idea of cutting/welding chassis much. That's me though.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: KP Starlet F Code IRS Conversion Mon, 05 December 2005 10:18 Go to previous message
For me (being in NZ) transferring the whole rear floor pan section was actually cheaper and easier to get legal than moding the factory floorpan. Just need to work with what you have and the rules you have to follow.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:No TPS = No Balls ?
Next Topic:Aristo conversion into skyline.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:51:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011071920394897 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.